SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 31, 2023
I've been interested in pipe smoking on and off since I was 18, but never had the time or money to really dig in! Recently, that changed and now I've started getting together a basic collection of pipes (three cobs, a moonshine stoker, and a nording bent freehand, a clay on the way) and a growing collection of pipe tobacco. So far I've been diving into straight virginias the most - Union Square was the first tin I finished, then Peterson Flake, and I've had C&D's Virginia Flake (which is my favorite so far), Anthology 2023, HH Pure Virginia, and C&D's Opening Night. Sadly I got back into this AFTER it became virtually impossible for me to get tinned SG FVF, but I later found a few ounces I'd bought bulk in 2015 and thrown in a jar. A big score, but I found it strong for my tastes.

I'm looking at trying to find an oriental blend I like, but so often the tin description doesn't say which oriental is inside, and I've found they can be really different. Meridian is great, Regent's flake is fine but has a tendency to dry out my palate, and Abingdon is nice but very, very full.

I've been hit with TAD pretty early on. Aside from what I've already mentioned, I've got Geometrie, Gaslight, Rattray's Black Virginia (the closest thing to an aromatic I think I'd like), Escudo, Presbyterian Mixture, Plum Pudding Barrel Aged, Plum Pudding Christmas Spirit 2023, Cringle Flake 2023, Epiphany, SG Commonwealth, SG Navy Flake, SG Balkan Flake From Beyond, HH Old Dark Fired, Capstan, a can of 2020 Carolina Red Flake, a 2014 can of Mac Baren Vanilla Flake (from my early days)

Here's to finding what I like, all suggestions welcome.

Cheers from the bottomg of the lake!

Lakebottom Piper

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Hello and welcome from West Virginia. Try some of the old codger blends. They are still around for a reason-they are good. Also try many of the Iwan Ries blends. I am very fond of Old Colonial, Three Star Green, Three Star Blue, Three Star Royale, Three Star Banner and Dr. Bradley. Welcome aboard.