PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2024
Just started my pipe smoking journey. Never smoked pipes before, but I have smoked cigars infrequently over the years. I bought two corn cob pipes from Missouri Meerschaum. For tobacco, I searched youtube and some forums for good blends to start with. Ended up picking Amphora Original Blend, Chelsea Morning, Low Country Edisto, and Mac Baren Vanilla Cream. Wanted to gauge the forums thoughts on any blends that I should try as a newcomer or if I should use something other than a corn cob.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
You're off to a great start. Check out tobaccoreviews.com. cobs are just fine to set out. Smoke Latakia in a separate one and aromatics in another. And a third one for everything else like straight Virginias, Virginia based, and burley based or straight burley. Read a bunch of reviews on smokingpipes.com. they have lists of top sellers. Easier to find on Google for that site. But small 1 or 2 oz and get to trying. Reviews only get you so far. You have to try everything to know. Buying 1 or 2 oz means you don't jammed up with something you hate. Buy like 6 or so different ones at a one to cut back on shipping per unit.

Reactions: bent1 and Jacob74

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
Welcome from Richmond Virginia
smoke what you can get, figure out what you seem to like and venture out based on what your leaning towards. Check the reviews if buying something you haven’t had
And try some briar pipes as well.
167D4371-622A-42C9-B7F9-EA0D394199A1.jpeg

Nevaditude

Can't Leave
Apr 5, 2022
Northern Nevada
If your name was Avenger of Peanut, I would highly recommend Wilke Tobacco Co - Peanut Butter tobacco. IT is really great, far better than you might think. I smoke it 3x weekly.Greetings & welcome from northern Nevada:nevada-seal-6.png

Reactions: kcghost
Jan 29, 2024
Boston Ma
cmonman.com
Just started my pipe smoking journey. Never smoked pipes before, but I have smoked cigars infrequently over the years. I bought two corn cob pipes from Missouri Meerschaum. For tobacco, I searched youtube and some forums for good blends to start with. Ended up picking Amphora Original Blend, Chelsea Morning, Low Country Edisto, and Mac Baren Vanilla Cream. Wanted to gauge the forums thoughts on any blends that I should try as a newcomer or if I should use something other than a corn cob.
I have found captain black to be an easy to find excellent pipe tobacco I prefer the blue myself it’s a light aromatic with a lovely aroma and tastes close to the way it smells . Easy on the tongue too. A little moist on opening but keep it loosely folded it will get just right in a day or two if you don’t wail through the bag

Reactions: Nevaditude

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It takes a while to learn how to smoke a pipe. Be patient with it. Be sure to not over pack your pipe. You a draw that is no more than what you'd put into a cigar. Be sure to smoke the pipe slowly. If you need to relight, do it and don't take any crap from guys who may say you shouldn't have to relight.

kbussell

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2024
Highlands Ranch, CO
Welcome! From, Highlands Ranch, Colorado.
I personally really like the Cult - Blood Red Moon blend... it is a cherry/vanilla with a hint of chocolate! Think, chocolate covered cherries.
Tobacco: Burley, Cavendish
Style: Aromatic
Room Note: 3 - Balanced
However, it currently can be difficult to find.
Here is a link, as they currently have it in-stock:

Let us know what you choose, and your smokey impressions.
Cheers!

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Welcome aboard. I’d consider sample of each genre, a Virginia / burley blend, a burley predominant blend, aromatic, & latakia (aka English / Balkan) blend.

I’d have three cobs, 1 for Virginias & Burleys, 1 for aromatics, & 1 for Latakia blends.

Reactions: Nevaditude
Status
Not open for further replies.