PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
growing up in the eighties i always was a little metal head, and was the long haired guy listening to thrash in high school that everyone assumed worshiped satan and sacrificed virgin kittens on the weekend. (i didn't). as i have gotten older my tastes as a whole have definitely mellowed but i still keep alot of the metal i grew up with on my itunes, because sometimes i have to sedate the angry fifteen year old that lives inside me.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
True, that. Of course I remember when a guy could be hated for liking Metallica, but for all the right reasons. My presence alone invoked a witch hunt during the "Satanic Panic" at a high school in Paris, Texas in the late 80s. Ironically enough, my beliefs at the time were more or less Christian. The witch hunt lasted until the witch hunters bothered a bunch of local kids who played D&D. One of their dads was a lawyer who scared them more than Satan.

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
Yup, Im in to about the same style as the OP. Until I started playing music Metal was all I listened to. Now keep in mind that I was born in 71 and my parents metal is still a big favorite of mine. Im a now pretty much OK with any style of any music.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Scorpions, etc. from the 70's- 80's. Sabbath and Led Zeppelin at the top of my favorite bands list. Not much into hair metal or thrash but some Metallica is appealing. I enjoy "The Junkyard" on XM and try not to miss Eddie Trunk's metal show on Monday nights.
Of the new bands, Black Country Communion is a favorite, here doing a classic Deep Purple cover:

http://youtu.be/QlIcTgaH-hM

wardrum

Might Stick Around
Sep 23, 2011
I see a lot of good bands on here. My favorite band would have to be Tool. They are the Led zeppelin of my generation. Although it would be cool if they would make a record sooner than every six years.

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
For the ELP Guys, this was taken at the Melody Maker Poll Awards Concert held at The Oval Cricket Ground, London, September 1972 where ELP had won Best Band in both the UK and International Sections.
oval-72-tarkus.jpg

Also as seen in this shot, UK Legendary DJ Alan "Fluff" Freeman.
Same Concert Dutch Band "Focus"
Focus.jpg

Genesis, back in the days of being "The REAL Genesis" with Peter Gabriel on Vocals.
genesis3.jpg

Finally, the band that everyone forgot "FUDD". :rofl:
FUDD.jpg

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
I am a musician and so I find myself listening to a wide range of music but I am and will always be a metalhead. The different varieties of metal that I listen to vary depending on my mood but I'll drop a few names...
Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Bathory, Venom, Hirax, Overkill (I got to see them live in Calgary on their Canadian tour in 2005 and even got to meet Bobby Blitz), Immortal (Abbath has still got it on stage), Blind Guardian (kick ass live), Dragonland, Holy Grail, White Wizzard, Mourning Beloveth, Funeral, Agalloch, King Diamond, Korpiklaani (fantastic live), Tyr (also amazing)...That is all I care to rack off the top of my head.
Baronsamedi that picture seriously got me laughing. Very old school Mayhem haha.

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
All the above !! Metal Rules !!

I remember seeing Genesis "And Then There Were Three" tour in Toronto, Ontario, Canada back in the late '70's

...Follow You Follow Me....

My all time favorite... MOTORHEAD :worship:

My all time/life time band...HAWKWIND :clap:

loborx

Apr 20, 2011
Metal Gods: Black Sabbath. Metal Popes: Judas Priest. Metal Acolytes: Iron Maiden. Devils in the Chapel: Slayer.

riptide

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
I'm into old Power metal. Manowar, Warlock, IronMadin, Dragonforce, and such. when I was in high school it was White Zombie, Korn, Limp Bizkit, and other crap I sometimes listen to now. But as I have gotten older I like all Music. My guilty pleasure Is Cradle of Filth.

logandow

Jul 29, 2011
Oregon
I am going to see Gwar in november! Also King Diamond's "give me your soul" is my favorite KD song

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
i listen to everything except country and classical. i like metal, but it isnt my favorite. i prefer the screamo genre of music, but two of my all time favorite bands are The Beatles and Electric Light Orchestra(i love the 60s.i swear i was born in the wrong era)

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
When I was younger I listened to metal. More of AC/DC, Black Sabath, The Who kind of stuff. My buddies were into the Death metal stuff but I always felt it was kind of a "Girl Repellent" and I drifted away from metal when I was around the chicks. I was at my old room mates kids 3'rd birth day party last year and he put on some old Iron Maiden while he was grilling. All the wives gave him the stink eye and the dudes were in memory lane. :lol:

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
The thing that makes life tricky for us that are of a greater vintage........ coff coff, is that suddenly we became surrounded by all manner of different names for various genres of music. :)

Back when I was a Lad..... We had, Classical, Folk, Country, Country and Western, Pop, Rock, Underground, Blues, Jazz, etc.

Underground would later become Progressive Rock, which then sometimes transformed itself into "Heavy". Heavy Metal....

(thanks Steppenwolf) came rather later. Up until that point, I was keeping up reasonably well. Then here in the UK we had NWOHMBs or, New Wave of Heavy Metal Bands, which was where we first really started to catogorize bands such as Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Anvil, Diamond Head etc.
Now we have things like Death Metal, Speed Metal, Thrash etc and in many ways, one can see where these may have slotted back in the old days.
I tend to think of myself as a fan of Classic Rock, Blues Rock etc if we are talking about the heavier side of things? So it does get a bit complicated these days when trying to pigeon hole bands into their relevent genres.
Mind you? It makes me smile when I hear my 15 year old Grandson referring to Prehistoric Rock, "Hotel California" being a good example, and yet...... his real liking (despite being too embarrassed to admit it to his friends, ) are bands such as The Groundhogs, Uriah Heep, Boston, Kansas, Free, Led Zep, Wolfmother,Maiden and then as the odd curved ball, a long defunct UK band called Sad Cafe.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
If I play any thing like Hendrix or AC/DC my five year old says ," I do not like this noise music daddy! I like cow boy songs." :D

Status
Not open for further replies.