PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winterland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Minneapolis
Wow lots of metal fans. I work in the music business so I am lucky and have gotten to meet some of my music idols. Fringe benefit.
To Logandow's question. I didn't know what a sporran was. I looked it up. A pouch that goes with a kilt. No kilt but would like to get one some day. My 5 year old has one though. My leather pouch is from a crafter at our MN Renaissance Festival. Works well to hold my pipe goodies. Here is thier website.

Renaissance leather

dongreyface

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Marietta, Ohio
Wow, after seeing some of the bands you guys listed, I now truly feel at home. As for Motorhead, I have a tattoo of Snagletooth on my right calf that is pretty freaking awesome.

revs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Utah
KISS, AC/DC, Metallica before they started themselves 'Tallica, Megadeth, and so many more. Currently enjoying a little more Gothic Death Metal like Leaves' Eyes, Amon Amarth and Tyr. Leaves' Eyes "My Destiny" got me hooked. Think Amy Lee from Evanescence only better. With a gothic metal band behind her.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Amon Amarth is some badassness. In the "avant death metal" category Alas and Therion are hella cool too. Not much into country but having been around it for awhile, I know quite a few Alabama and Merle Haggard songs. David Allan Coe, too. country is just not all that fun for a bass player. Metal and fusion are lots of fun. I've met Chuck Rainey from Steely Dan. He's a badass.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
So Tool is without a doubt my all time favorite band. Their front man, Maynard, has a side project called Puscifer. Their new album comes out next week but Spin has it up on their site in its entirety right now. If you're a fan of Tool or APC then definitely give it a listen:

http://www.spin.com/articles/first-spin-listen-puscifers-conditions-lp

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
Seems most people on here have a feel for more of the throwback metal bands. I can appreciate what they bring to the table and their influence but I still go to small metal shows regularly. The biggest I have gone to in years was Mastodon (who I am going to see with Dillinger this year) and that was a big deal for me. I appreciate the Tool references.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
@lyst36: Dillenger's is at the top of my list as well. Never seen them but I'd love to. Ire Works and Miss Machine get played fairly regularly here. I love Mike Patton too so Irony is a Dead Scene get's thrown in every now and then as well :) I'm not much for a lot of the bands that have been mentioned here either (didn't grow up with Ozzy or Maiden though I do like them...just not as much as most of the people here it seems). Couple of other's I didn't mention that I've been listening to lately are The Famine, Living Sacrifice, Clutch (another of my all time favorites), Machine Head, etc. Also, has anyone mentioned Pantera yet? Can't have a metal conversation without Pantera :)

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Wow! I am pleasantly surprised to see this many other smokers are also "headbangers"! I never woulda' thunk it ....

My all-time favorite groups are Metallica, Tool, and Led Zeppelin. I like most of the old school groups (Sabbath, AC/DC, Maiden, etc.) along with some of the newer ones -- Mastodon, in particular, is incredible. Queens of the Stone Age and Black Mountain are also great...
One band that needs mentioning (but is almost always overlooked in metal discussions): Blue Oyster Cult.

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
"Then Came The Last Days of May"....... What a monster track that was, Buck Dharma doing what only he could. :D

dongreyface

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Marietta, Ohio
Hey lyst36, I saw Mastadon jus about a couple years ago when they were touring for Crack the Skye with Dethklok. They are an awesome band. The new album is stellar. A step in the right direction to follow up CTS.

logandow

Jul 29, 2011
Oregon
To king Diamond fans. Also we should get a headbanging smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYABi752eh0

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Yes -- The Hunter is an EXCELLENT album. It's literally all I've listened to for the past week!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Can't forget Deadhorse from here in Texas. GWAR is a fun as hell band to see live. Don't know if the Plasmatics count, since they were somewhere between punk, metal and performance art but they and Motorhead are all-time always-listen favorites. the one and only time I've ever sand karaoke, it was "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC.

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
GWAR is a fun as hell band to see live.
YES!!! If you ever get the chance to see these guys live do it! Just make sure you shower afterwards... :P

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
In the spirit of trending thread necromancy, I hereby resurrect this thread.
I listen to all forms of music. There's simply too much talent out there to limit one's self to one genre. The one exception to this rule is country. I believe country music died with Johnny Cash. I do, however, love a lot of heavy metal music. Iron Maiden, Sabbath, (old) Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Disturbed (more hard rock now?) -- all bands that have a place in my collection.
My most recent metal find is Solution .45. They are known as "melodic deathcore," but they have tendencies towards the progressive. The big standout from this band is the singer. I've never heard a rock singer with his type of vocal range. When he growls, he sounds demonic; when he "sings," he sounds amazing. They are fairly big on the other side of the pond, but I'm still hoping they make a name for themselves in the U.S.
Here's some videos by the group, one banger and one ballad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXJxtp8inWg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnZ7pry3SZs

Status
Not open for further replies.