Have You Noticed A Slow Down In Sales/Trading?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I've been collecting (redacted) pipes for several years now, and the prices have climbed quite a bit. And so has the demand. Where I used to always win what I bid on by being willing to pay $45, (redacted) pipes now range from $100 to $300. Same with the other pipe maker that I used to collect. I could buy them all day long for $35, now they start at $75. So, from where I sit, estate pipes are outpacing overall inflation by a good bit.

But The Most Unpopular Vice President of Recent Memory and her sidekick Lunchbox Joe tell me it's all in my head. It certainly isn't in my wallet.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I don't know that the middle class feeling the heat is slowing down sales in this forum. That would slow down purchases but it shouldn't logically slow down offers to sell. Earlier today, someone sold 9 bags of Esoterica for $1500 in the blink of an eye and the post is no longer there. In fact, I'm not sure there are fewer sales in this forum. I suspect the mods are taking down completed sales quicker than in the past.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There seem to be two points at which sales of pipes and tobacco take a dip, January, following the orgy of Christmas spending, and the Ides of April.

Certainly, inflation is hitting people hard, especially after nearly a decade of cheap money, which set the stage for the current state of affairs.

Having lived through the stagflation of the 1970's, I suspect that you ain't seen nothing yet. It might take a recession, maybe a couple of them like in the '70's to bring things wobbling back toward another unstable stability.

But, as long as there's money for fluff, like crypto, there's still plenty of money to go around.

BriarsAndBottles

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
In the case of rare tobacco, I think it’s a supply issue. Eventually things must disappear and/or people become unwilling to part with them. I put a WTB/WTT thread in the forum, and granted I’m looking for some pretty obscure stuff, but I had ten (10) requests/lots and still haven’t gotten a reply. Another dude is looking for 3 oaks Syrian, which isn’t unobtanium yet, and I haven’t seen a bite yet for him either.

In regards to pipes, I think that’s also due to a supply issue, but with very different factors. My two main thoughts are: 1. Unlike tobacco, pipes don’t get consumed, so the total number of desirable pipes just keeps increasing over time making it easier for people to acquire them. 2. The age of the internet exposes pipe smokers to talented artists worldwide. There are so many amazing pipes being made right now, seems hard to justify spending even more money for something just because it’s “old”.

I’d get a Werner Mummert or Scotty Piersel way before I’d get an estate Dunhill or Kaywoodie from bygone days.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't know but I've been wondering when it was going to happen. People got a bit crazy suddenly having all this access to all the pipes and all the tobacco. Anyone else notice that even the biggest collectors slow down after a certain point?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Once the data comes out confirming we’re in a recession it’s pretty self explanatory. Trying to avoid making a political comment on this thread has got me looking like this guy. 😂 View attachment 219465
what you don't have enough places to talk into the wind? Just enjoy the not devolving into the loudest no nothings arguing for imaginary points.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
My personal rate of purchasing has slowed down, a function of having enough pipes and a well-stocked cellar. Now I wait for bucket list pipes or favored blends to show up at reasonable prices. I have no FOMO on limited edition blends so I don't get caught up in that frenzy. I would expect that if the economy continues its current trajectory more and more estate pipes and tobaccos will start showing up for sale.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I rarely buy aged tobacco because I rarely see any that I'm interested in buying. I seldom look at estate pipes online because they are usually priced higher than what I believe the pipes are worth.

On the other hand, I just dropped around $200 on a shipment from Estervals.

Reactions: PipeIT
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I used to at least browse aged tobacco for a few things I was interested in until maybe 2 years ago when prices jumped through the roof. $75 was at the max I’d potential pay for a ton of something, now when the same tins are $125-$150 asking price, I just stopped looking. Lost complete interest in the market and it had nothing to do with economics.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I stopped buying pipes a few years back, and thinned my herd down to about 5 pipes anyways ( from over 100) Plus, my tobacco hoarding in the mid 90's has me sitting pretty good and I'll only buy a few rare/choice blends every now and then.

Times are pretty tough for a lot of people right now. And I don't see it getting better anytime soon. I can't wait for those "smart cities" where you'll own nothing and be happy.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
To me aged tobacco means really old. We are talking cutter top tins from the 1930s to the early 1950s. Looking at the prices these things were fetching I just marveled at the stupidity of the average buyer willing to pay $600 for something that was at one time described as 'crap' and tossed in a dumpster. Pipes, tobacco, baseball cards, stamps. Everything has its bull market but the key is not to be holding a lot of inventory when the music stops playing. Now about those 'cutty' pipes!

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
As everyone else has mentioned, costs of everything has gone up. - So, those of us with a pretty good supply of pipes & tobacco already- might just hold off on buying more at this moment. I don’t know about you guys, but the first half of our property taxes was due April 30th so we had to pay that. They went up a lot too.

Mac

Reactions: Ebarber

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I used to at least browse aged tobacco for a few things I was interested in until maybe 2 years ago when prices jumped through the roof. $75 was at the max I’d potential pay for a ton of something, now when the same tins are $125-$150 asking price, I just stopped looking. Lost complete interest in the market and it had nothing to do with economics.

Agreed. I don't even check Pipestud any more.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I’d get a Werner Mummert or Scotty Piersel way before I’d get an estate Dunhill or Kaywoodie from bygone days.
Or, you can collect Scottie Piersel AND Kaywoodie and be happy.
Anyone else notice that even the biggest collectors slow down after a certain point?
Well, they certainly do after they die. Same goes for cellaring.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I would expect that if the economy continues its current trajectory more and more estate pipes and tobaccos will start showing up for sale.
Before the US economy hit the spinning blades back in 2007 there were about 5,000 pipes listed on eBay on any given day. That soon increased to 20,000 on any given day. You could also find pretty good deals on "vintage" tobacco.
Regardless of what happens to the vast majority of the population there will always be thousands of people with the funds to indulge their every wish. Therefore I doubt that there will be a free fall with regards to prices on pipes or "vintage" tobaccos. Softening, yes. Free fall, no.