Have You Noticed A Slow Down In Sales/Trading?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
The forum seems to be its typical self, with the normal amount of posting and threads. However, has anyone else noticed a slowing in pipe/tobacco sales and trades?

The Facebook groups have also been unusually quiet.

A few days ago the Danish Pipe Shop sent me an email reply to a question I asked, and they mentioned that estates have been slowing down.

Again, the community seems alive and well, but sale threads used to pop up all the time, even during January/February. It seems slower than usual lately.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Nice pipes and nice tobacco are "luxury class" purchases for most people.

Those same most people have seen their grocery bill, home heating bill, insurance premiums, and so forth increase a LOT since last summer.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
There were more tobacco for sale threads in April than in January and January is usually a pretty strong month, IMO.

No idea on the world market.

JJ_JJ_JJ_JJ

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2022
The forum seems to be its typical self, with the normal amount of posting and threads. However, has anyone else noticed a slowing in pipe/tobacco sales and trades?

The Facebook groups have also been unusually quiet.

A few days ago the Danish Pipe Shop sent me an email reply to a question I asked, and they mentioned that estates have been slowing down.

Again, the community seems alive and well, but sale threads used to pop up all the time, even during January/February. It seems slower than usual lately.
Have you seen the ridiculous prices people are trying to get??
"I KnOw WhAt I GoTz"

people have lost their god damn minds

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
Have you seen the ridiculous prices people are trying to get??
"I KnOw WhAt I GoTz"

people have lost their god damn minds
The problem is the inflation..same pipes costed about 2/3 of current price but now they adding that lost dollar value to it.If you bought an estate pipe 2-3 years ago and selling it at the same price now you loosing money..

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I have noticed a slow down in estate pipes over the past few months. I have all the pipes I need (106) and over 200 pounds of tobacco. I'm not buying anything unless something special comes up that I just have to have. At this point in my life it's time to get going on smoking what I've accumulated.

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I agree with recent economic trends causing a general lull but the Chicago show seems to be the recent spike, sellers and buyers are there in droves.
That's true for right now I'm sure, but I have noticed it for months now. Especially on Facebook.

Besides tobacco, certain brands of estate pipes would fly. Now they're just sitting at good prices.

For me, I sort of maxed out on what I wanted/needed. Maybe for the past five years there has been a buying and selling frenzy in the community, and people are finally realizing they need to cool off (and perhaps the slowing economy is a part of that).