PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Since a "Pot" is a Billiard with a short bowl, you can get the same smoking characteristics with a squat Rhody, Bulldog, or an Author shape.
My Rossi Messina Author has the same chamber dimensions as a pot.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
@AL, I've got a 1353 also. It is a great smoker and one of my favorite GBDs. I really like the oval shank and stem.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I love pots because there is considerable briar around the pipe's bowl and pots usually smoke cooler than other shapes. Peterson shape 606 is a smaller pot shape which also has much briar around the bowl and is on the smaller size. I agree with those pot smokers that some do not like the looks of the pot, however, if you smoke flake tobacco the pot shape is perfect.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just scrolled through all 38, count-em thirty eight, pages of Savenelli pipes on tobaccopipes.com and discovered

that Savenelli is quite strong on pots. A filtered pot seems a sort of contradiction, but you can use the Sav

adaptor and smoke it without the balsa (or other) filters. For any NSA screeners listening in, please understand,

pot is a shape of tobacco pipe, cylindrical but more stubby than the standard billiard shaped tobacco pipe. This

has nothing to do with the ever disputed weed pot, which is smoked by a different demographic, mostly.

Joking guys; if the NSA reads this stuff they are either bored witless, or converted and puffing Dunhill 965 as

they go.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Since we have been talking about pots and I always wanted a high grade Peterson this unsmoked 25 y/o showed it's face in a search sooooooo we all know what happened next! ;)
9591050034_d7dafb7740_z.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wow, some fine looking pots. It's a shape that just looks ready for a pinch of tobacco.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I like pots. And hybrid pots. My all-time favorite shape is the old Stanwell No. 11. This shape is now made as a Featherweight, no. 242, in a few finishes. Complete with the slightly bent saddle bit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I did have to do some digging around. I don't think pot shaped pipes are featured big on most online retailers.

However, Ben Wade, Britannia, La Rocca, and Cassano all make good classic pot versions. I saw two nice

pots on ebay by Jobey. Of course Dunhill and Savenelli. Invicta makes nice pots, but the curved (versus the

full bent) has a P-Lip bit. It's a great old shape, a real smokers shape, not showy but sturdy and a fine smoking

tool. And some of them are quite handsome if understated.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I have one rather large bowl pot shape pipe. It's a Charatan Belvedere. I cannot not ever get the tobacco to burn evenly due to its so large pot size.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Durham, that's a problem I hadn't even thought about, the bowl being too wide to focus the heat to get a good

fire going in the bowl. Does anyone have one of those XL Saveneilli non-filtered pots? And do they smoke

evenly? Or any other larger pot? This is a question I hadn't even considered. I have a very large Joh's 1/8

bent apple that narrows a bit toward the top of the bowl and it burns really well, despite its oversize bowl,

but maybe that is because of the narrowing. It's kind of a fine detail, but worth noting. I think ordinary

size pot shaped pipes burn just fine, by most accounts. ... and yes, Stanwell makes some beautiful pots,

both traditional versions and the ones with the curved bowl rims.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I tried a pot shape with some flake, after Greg Pease had written about the advantages of a short, wide bowl for complex blends. It did make a difference for me, even though I am not fond of the shape.

Charatan Chubby Pot:

CharatansMakeSpecial.jpg

Brigham one dot:

9e733c9e.jpg

UA Waxdrip:

87DE33DD-4D24-487A-9AD2-833253B26BF3-3946-0000040E5BBA5F9D_zps2661398a.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
rigmedic1, nice pipes! Interesting point you raise, though. Pots seem almost deliberately designed

for a kind of plainness. The rusticated one you picture certainly has some character. But pots just

don't have the majesty of even a stately billiard, much less the swoop and dash of a well-shaped Dublin,

acorn, apple, or freehand. I guess pots provide a kind of counterpoint, a brass tacks kind of solidity

that asserts its simplicity. Stanwell has given us the variation of the curved bowl rim, to jazz up the

shape just a little, which I like. But the classic pot, with its stubby, thick walled, cylindrical bowl is

a visual challenge. What you see is what you get. You have to love it or leave it on its own terms.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Well put, MSO. The aesthetic leaves something to be desired, which is why I only have 3 in my collection, which is up to 79. I only bought the Charatan because I found it in an Atlanta B&M and the owner made me a sweet deal on it. It's the only Charatan I own. I bought the Brigham on the 'bay, because I wanted to try the Brigham system before I sunk a C-note into a new one, and the wax drip was lagniappe on another pipe purchase I made.

That having been said, I smoke the Brig and the wax drip quite often now, because they smoke really well. I would smoke the Charatan more, but I don't want to bite through that thin mouthpiece. I have taken to buying bent bulldogs which have similarly sized chambers, thicker bits, and suit my face better.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
This is a fantastic thread! I am in the minority, as not only do I prefer the functional smoking characteristics of the pot shape like many here, but also I am very much drawn to the aesthetic of the classic pot shape unlike many here. The old comoy's grand slam and tradition pot 495, a couple of peterson 606s, a couple of the castello 55s and even a small length Jon Rinaldi are some of my frequently used and enjoyed pot-shaped pipes. The shape allows for the flavours of the tobacco to open up a bit more than in some other shapes, although I do find stubby rhodesians and a cavicchi dublin-shape give me a similar type of 'opened up' smoke, too. Love to smoke my pot-shapes and experience the opened up subtleties from complex english and nutty burley blends. Again, a great thread... thanks for this!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Its funny I'm not crazy about the pot shape as I find them to be too shallow so I currently don't own a pot. Maybe someday if one catches my fancy I may change my opinion. I had a Sav bent pot and it was way way too shallow for that wide of a bowl.
A pot just reminds me of a misshaped billiard. lol
As it is now I am partial to Canadian's, Billiards, Bent Billiards, Authors and Bent Dublins.
Things must have changed in the 3 years since this post was started as there are hundreds of pots and bent pots on smokingpipes.com

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I found a few I like. I may have to buy a pot one of these days. I really love that Neerup and the Sav Lucite:
002-033-25982.jpg

002-033-24023.jpg

002-033-19424.jpg

002-203-2539.jpg

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've never owned a Comoy's but the dimensions on this one fits all my requirements and looks pretty good. Damn it I feel a case of TAD kicking in. I've always wanted a spigot.
002-439-0912.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.