PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
When I first started smoking a pipe they where some shapes I liked more than others but nothing blew my mind until I stumbled upon a Dunhill 5206, or a straight saddle stemmed pot. They have a certain no nonsense look about them, after a classic billiard to my eyes they look the most pipey of all pipe shapes. I lusted after that dunhill and started saving €'s but alas it got sold before I'd saved enough.
Whilst I don't own any dunhills I do own 4 '5206s', 2 are amongst the finest smoking pipes I own and as you'd imagine love English blends, the other 2 whilst mechanically smoke well enough they just don't have that je ne sais quoi.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I never used to like the pot shape, but on a whim I bought one and I liked the way it smoked so much I added more over time. This is my current stock of pots.
From the top: Ben Wade, Orlik Royal Sovereign, Savinelli Punto Oro, BB&S John Peel, BB&S Challenger
img_1144-600x348.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have at least 6 Pots and I love them all. I use them primarily for ribbon cut baccys. My favorite backy in a Pot is Squadron Leader.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
When I was actively buying pipes in the '70s through the '90s, I had a hard time finding pipes in the pot style, so even though I have three (a Grabow, Butz-Choquin, and a Hercules), I don't have a higher or even a mid-grade. After seeing current pipe prices, it's hard to find a deal on one. But, maybe I'll get lucky yet. I did see an estate Charatan pot at the Las Vegas show, but the grain was very weak for the price.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Pots haven't been especially popular as long as I can remember. In estate sales they consistently return lower prices than their sleeker compadres.
I guess they're just not pretty enough, not an elegant line, just great workhorses that deliver great smokes. I love my pots and am grateful for the shortsightedness of others which offers me great deals.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I was about to jump on this thread and then I realized I already did... Three years ago ;)
I stand by my previous comment that the venerable pot is the best shape for smoking, if not always for aesthetics. But then there's the Stanwell No. 11 referenced in my old post. IMHO. The masterwork.
The pot tames the sharpest Virginias, highlights the most subtle and supple Orientals, and caresses the smokiest Latakias. Long live the glorious pot.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
My first "real" pipe was a GBD pot. I still have it although it needs a new stem. I have others and have always enjoyed smoking them. A no nonsense shape that always delivers a satisfactory smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wow, this post of mine from three years ago has had a whole new life! Interesting to read the new posts and the old ones.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Have 3 pots- a Sav Milano deluxe I/8 bent, a Willmer straight, and a Peterson 1/2 bent-the 301 standard system. While I can't say they're my favorite shapes, do like them fine. I think a Peterson 301 is a particularly fine exemplar, particularly when it's a deluxe system 1s, which I do not own.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I like them because they aren't stylish. To me the are almost pure function, like a straight billiard. That appeals to me.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
The pot is one of the only straight shapes that really catches my attention. I have a very large Charatan pot that is an amazing smoker.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
ashdigger, good analogy but the specific vehicle needs a higher carrying capacity :) i'd compare the pot shape to a good old reliable and very useful pick-up truck with an extended cab -- what'd you say? To suggest a giant mining dump truck or something bus-like is getting beyond solitary smoking, its industrialized chimney-like capacity. Just like a partridge family-van seems more like group hookah smoking instead of just a big solitary smoker.
back to more pot pics!
A personal favourite:
castello-shape-55-perla-nera-kk-.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A belated confession these three-plus years later, when I did the original post I completely forgot that my first pipe, and one I still have, is a pot, but a full bent pot with a somewhat unique vertical saddle stem. When I posted, I had in mind straight or slightly bent pots. My first pipe was a St. Ives house pipe from Tinder Box, probably made by Chacom. It has a bit of charring at the rim but otherwise is in fine smoking shape, and I still enjoy it. Since posting, I have acquired a Savenelli Aurelia smooth slightly bent pot with a good big bowl as well as a Stanwell 86, the Sixten Iversson design that looks a bit like a Dublin but is termed a pot. I also have a Greek Amadeus straight traditional pot with a tapered stem. Pots are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.