PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hey all, just joined the forum after lurking for months. I have been an off and on piper for years but it never stuck because I would only ever smoke cheap flavored tobaccos from drugstores and such. Now that I have decent income its nice to indulge in some quality leaf. I am really enjoying learning and finding out whats out there.

So far I love straight virginias. I am still trying to figure out how I feel about burley. I can’t say I am really big on black cavendish at all but I have enjoyed it when it is in blends.

Thanks for all the info I have found on this site. Proud to be a member of the community now.
that moment when you find that first pipe tobacco that really elevates the whole experience. The crazy thing I have found is that learning how to dig into and enjoy one blend also seems to help make other blends more enjoyable too.

Mar 8, 2024
Alaska
Welcome! Glad you’re already figuring out what tobaccos you enjoy. Any favorite pipes so far?
So far I have only ever smoked out of my La Rocca that I bought recently and a Dr. Grabow. The Grabow was my first pipe and I abused it pretty badly out of ignorance. I love my La Rocca and it treats me well. I don’t have any experience with higher end pipes to compare it to but what I got smokes well for me right now. I am in the market for something with a bent stem now.

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
So far I have only ever smoked out of my La Rocca that I bought recently and a Dr. Grabow. The Grabow was my first pipe and I abused it pretty badly out of ignorance. I love my La Rocca and it treats me well. I don’t have any experience with higher end pipes to compare it to but what I got smokes well for me right now. I am in the market for something with a bent stem now.
Nice! Rossi and Ropp pipes are a great place to start in the $50 range.

Mar 8, 2024
Alaska
that moment when you find that first pipe tobacco that really elevates the whole experience. The crazy thing I have found is that learning how to dig into and enjoy one blend also seems to help make other blends more enjoyable too.
Yeah I am pretty determined to enjoy anything I smoke. If I don’t like it at first I just feel like I have something to learn to be able to appreciate it.

Reactions: anotherbob
Mar 8, 2024
Alaska
Nice! Rossi and Ropp pipes are a great place to start in the $50 range.
Okay cool I appreciate the recommendation. I have been looking around but it kinda overwhelming how many options there are (definitely not a bad thing though). I have found I love the look of kaywoodie pipes but I have yet to find anywhere that sells them.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Okay cool I appreciate the recommendation. I have been looking around but it kinda overwhelming how many options there are (definitely not a bad thing though). I have found I love the look of kaywoodie pipes but I have yet to find anywhere that sells them.
I don’t know who sells them new either now but the guys in this thread would surely know:

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Welcome from NC.

I'm always curious how pipe smoking is for people in other countries or remote areas. So how is pipe smoking in Alaska? I assume the shipping can be expensive but is it difficult to obtain any blends that wouldn't be for somebody in the contiguous 48?

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I attended collage in Alaska in the mid 60s. There was no place around to buy decent pipe tobacco, so I had to resort to having it shipped all the way from the lower 48. Added a lot to the cost but was worth it. puffy

Reactions: JustAregularPiper
Mar 8, 2024
Alaska
Welcome from NC.

I'm always curious how pipe smoking is for people in other countries or remote areas. So how is pipe smoking in Alaska? I assume the shipping can be expensive but is it difficult to obtain any blends that wouldn't be for somebody in the contiguous 48?
I get most of my tobacco from smokingpipes and its about 16 bucks for shipping but I usually just order 100 dollars at a time so its free shipping. There is one really good tobacco shop in Anchorage (about a 2 1/2 hour drive from me) but it is pretty pricey there. I usually stop by just to support the place when I am in the city but it would be insanely expensive to get my supply from there. Other than that there is one more place that sells pipe tobacco in the state for a half decent price with a very limited selection but it is also a 2 1/2 hour drive in the other direction. You kinda get used to it. Not having direct access to everything you need or want when you want it is part of the joy of living out here. Just gotta prepare and think ahead. That goes for everything. Grocery store is also 2 1/2 hours away. Hell, everything is 2 1/2 hours away. I manage the only restaurant/bar and lodge in town and we have been closed for about three months.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swiss Army Knife

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I get most of my tobacco from smokingpipes and its about 16 bucks for shipping but I usually just order 100 dollars at a time so its free shipping. There is one really good tobacco shop in Anchorage (about a 2 1/2 hour drive from me) but it is pretty pricey there. I usually stop by just to support the place when I am in the city but it would be insanely expensive to get my supply from there. Other than that there is one more place that sells pipe tobacco in the state for a half decent price with a very limited selection but it is also a 2 1/2 hour drive in the other direction. You kinda get used to it. Not having direct access to everything you need or want when you want it is part of the joy of living out here. Just gotta prepare and think ahead. That goes for everything. Grocery store is also 2 1/2 hours away. Hell, everything is 2 1/2 hours away. I manage the only restaurant/bar and lodge in town and we have been closed for about three months.
You’ll come to find that “really good” is not so great, hahaha. Pricey because between state and muni, tobacco taxes in ANC are pushing 150%.

Which Lodge?

Status
Not open for further replies.