PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
@Briar Lee you didn’t get flavors of lemon, lemongrass, and like a light tea flavor as well?

There’s a flavored essence to Virginia tobaccos, one I associated with the fragrance of cedars in bloom.

I’m firing up another bowl to see if there’s lemons and tea in there, and such.:)

I’ll report.

It’s good stuff, whatever essence they flavor Virginias with.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@Briar Lee you didn’t get flavors of lemon, lemongrass, and like a light tea flavor as well?

There’s a flavored essence to Virginia tobaccos, one I associated with the fragrance of cedars in bloom.

I’m firing up another bowl to see if there’s lemons and tea in there, and such.:)

I’ll report.

It’s good stuff, whatever essence they flavor Virginias with.

Hmm Cedar, that’s an interesting observation. Mine are certainly light herbal ice tea, bread, grass/hay, occasionally vanilla too I forgot to mention, and lemongrass. The reason lemongrass, is that some Asian dishes lemongrass is added as a condiment.

The Vietnamese do Lemongrass chicken, and lemongrass also in the side of soups they do as well. I’ve eaten a lot of Vietnamese dishes with lemongrass, and this is quite the same.

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
Why did Gawith change the long-standing “dosage”?
They haven't! I had long discussions with our senior production staff about this the other day. Nothing has changed. And in fact adding "more" would make no difference to the flavour, just make the tobacco more wet. It's about the actual ingredients in the 'sauce' not the amount added and this has not changed.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
They haven't! I had long discussions with our senior production staff about this the other day. Nothing has changed. And in fact adding "more" would make no difference to the flavour, just make the tobacco more wet. It's about the actual ingredients in the 'sauce' not the amount added and this has not changed.
This is exactly what I hoped to hear. Keep up the great work GH! Merry Christmas!

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
It’s my opinion that there are many factors that can influence the flavor or perception of it after the product has left the factory. The manufacturer does not have control over the product afterwards.

They do however make an attempt to keep it “fresh” within a reasonable period with the packaging.

Rehashing this “sauce” conspiracy every few months isn’t going to change anything. The manufacturer has stated time and again that nothing has changed. I’m sure they are not saving 10’s of thousands of dollars by skimping on the sauce.

If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. There are plenty of other blends out there. But yeah, I get it. It’s an Internet forum, and there’s always a few people that have to “talk smart” on subjects from hemorrhoids to hurricanes… 😄😄

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Grousemoor is one of my all time favorites. The drop before this one I ordered a few tins. None were sealed under the cellophane and all tins were very dry and a lot of the scent was gone as well. I passed on this tin drop but grabbed a plug and will probably also pickup an 8 oz bag.

Reactions: Briar Lee

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I would’ve like to have been a fly on the wall… “Bloody yanks - obstinate sods”

The Algerian

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2022
Golden Valley, AZ
Are you suggesting the actual ingredients have changed?

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
There is an evergreen called a Heather that grows on the Scottish moors, likely the source for a lot of the ingredients in Grousemoor sauce.

An Eastern Red Cedar is actually a juniper, and the blooming flowers give off the aroma of gin. Those blooming evergreen flowers are in Grousemoor.

Most of the excellent flavors come from high grade Virginia leaf, which does produce lemon, citrus, and hay flavors, even tea.

The sauce makes a peppery, floral note that reminds me of cedars in bloom.

We don’t have none of them there moors around Bug Tussle.

But we have too many cedar trees, you know?.:)

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
It’s my opinion that there are many factors that can influence the flavor or perception of it after the product has left the factory. The manufacturer does not have control over the product afterwards.

They do however make an attempt to keep it “fresh” within a reasonable period with the packaging.

Rehashing this “sauce” conspiracy every few months isn’t going to change anything. The manufacturer has stated time and again that nothing has changed. I’m sure they are not saving 10’s of thousands of dollars by skimping on the sauce.

If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. There are plenty of other blends out there. But yeah, I get it. It’s an Internet forum, and there’s always a few people that have to “talk smart” on subjects from hemorrhoids to hurricanes… 😄😄
If only it was every few months. It’s a weekly rehash!

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
No. My point was that adding more "sauce" does not make it stronger, just wetter. So we are not scrimping on sauce etc......No change to anything.
“Certain things, they should stay the way they are. You ought to be able to stick them in one of those big glass cases and just leave them alone.”
- Catcher in the Rye
J. D. Salinger meant mason jars full of delicious Gawith Hoggarth tobacco.
God bless. We love your work!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm sensing a bit of a disconnect between company and spokesperson. Too many complaints across too many boards about decreased topping and all in the same time frame.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
I believe that nothing has changed. One thing I would offer is that GH tins are not made for long term storage. I just opened several that have sat at a B&M store probably for a while and all of these were dry and no longer holding a vaccum when I opened the lid. These tins were unopened and still had the plastic seal around the edge.

I’m rehydrating and they seem fine but these were untopped blends