PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
This is the second Lakeland tobacco I’ve opened this evening, after Ennerdale.

This 50 gram (1.75 ounce) tin cost $15 from Smoking Pipes and like Ennerdale, is worth the cost for a decoration, after you smoke the tobacco. Our American makers should take notice a high dollar little can of tobacco should have, this luxury look about it.

In America, once upon a time, codger burleys came in little tins. I’m beginning to think in England, Wales, and Scotland once upon a time the codgers smoked Lakeland brands.

Grousemoor is an aromatic like Half and Half and Kentucky Club and Field and Stream are (or were) aromatics.

The tobacco is pure, shag cut lemon colored Virginia. The essence in Grousemoor reminds me of a cedar tree in bloom. Mostly this is an excellent Virginia tobacco with notes of citrus and honey, and newly mown hay, but there’s an aromatic essence that’s very tasty, peppery, floral, and scented of cedar, and likely unique to Grousemoor. Just a delicious, simple, rich, good tasting smoke with enough nicotine to satisfy my need for Vitamin N. It’s easy to smoke, not sweet, not sour, just right.

Buy some while the dollar is strong and the do gooders in the United States don’t tax this like do gooders in Canada, Australia, and New Zealand do.

Generations of juvenile delinquents and old codgers in Great Britain must love Lakeland tobaccos.:)

3FCC7846-2BD8-4E59-99B0-0531009C8B84.jpeg06401060-0C9F-4756-ABE9-EFDF1914EAA2.jpegBD92EB0E-235C-456F-933F-D49E979701E6.jpegCFE37EC4-5278-4F28-B2DE-6229503564A3.jpeg

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
Grousemoor is a regular for me--and I'm happy that we finally got a drop of the plug version recently. If you want something similar, but a bit stronger for winter, I'd suggest trying Conniston cut plug and/or Kendal flake (scented, of course). The Conniston has a great sweet/rum/etc. sauce that's in the same vein of Ennerdale/Grousemoor, while the Kendal flake has an almost spice flavor (notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, etc). And if you want something completely different, give Bosun cut plug a try (it has more of an incense/talcum/floral thing going on). Enjoy!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I was gifted a tin and finally got arrested Ins to opening it the other day. WONDERFUL!!

I just got home from a 13 hour day. 9 hours of driving, plus a fire scene.

As I was getting ready yesterday I only grabbed one tin. Grousemoor!!

It was a fantastic all day smoke.

I had only one bowl the day I cracked the tin. There was a SG drop, lucky me, so I ordered two pounds of the plug.

I’ll have some plug tonight while drinking and watching hockey.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Grousemoor is fantastic. I love it whether its “overly” sauced or completely dissipated.

I’m not sure what plugs have started to come to the states, but definitely try this along side cannon and RB plugs. Same leaf components with different stoving times and sauces.

SG plugs are desert island blends for, particularly st James and RB.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Why did Gawith change the long-standing “dosage”?
I doubt it was to save money on the Lakeland sauce, although that’s possible.

In the last few years, while overall smoking rates are down, this forum and the online pipe tobacco sellers are growing exponentially.

And so it came to pass, a hillbilly boy all grown up, read about Lakeland tobaccos on this forum, and ordered about $200 worth.

And when I first lit up Grousemoor, the first recollection I had was trying Carter Hall.

Like any other long established product, the reason to make it tamer, is to sell more of it.

Bud Light is America’s favorite beer, real Budweiser is fourth. Bud Light outsells Bud Heavy nearly three to one.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
They have changed. If it is new to you it will be the new normal.
Some new customer trying Velvet today, will get the same experience I got fifty years ago when I first tried Velvet, and loved it.

If you tried the bottom of the barrel, young, awful Velvet for the first time about twenty years ago, you’d likely not try Velvet again today.

Except for Half and Half, most American makers of over the counter tobacco severely reduced the leaf quality of their blends during the eighties and ninties.

I’ll bet they kept their sauce content the same.

The Lakeland makers have likely only imported the best leaf for two hundred years.

Now they are reducing the sauce they used to establish brand identity.

We actually all gain from thaf, I think.

Reactions: Toast

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@Briar Lee you didn’t get flavors of lemon, lemongrass, and like a light tea flavor as well?

WOW Tim @ashdigger I’m surprised to hear the rave. I actually thought when I first tried it, it was a blend people gagged over. Please tell me how the Plug compares to the shag when you get it?

The latest batches from this year, for me is a much lighter taste, than a 2018 tin, which is a little heavier in the floral notes.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Grousemoor came through in my Secret Santa package and I love it. I'm nursing a very recent, yet intense Lakeland obsession, but it seems even if the sauce was gone these are still really high quality tobaccos.
Is yours like a light VA, with typical VA notes, along with a light tea, and lemon/lemongrass notes?

The newer batch reminds, of like a ice lemon tea sort of blend, light summer like refreshing. The 2018, is like a slightly stronger version of all these notes.

The whole time I’ve been here, I’ve never seen anyone rave so much about Grousemoor. LOL :)

I was starting to think I was the only one that liked this stuff.