PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Yorktown added to list. I think I just got that sutliff flake and Its decent, gonna revisit it in a few months. It's fine as is but fvf and Ltf and lnf I think are superior.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I can enjoy PS LBF fresh and am patiently aging some, as well. While my jars age, even the handful semi-aging in my working tin has improved over the last 3 months.
H&H AJ's VaPer is pretty good and in bulk.
Peterson Irish Oak has additional components, but is tasty and some times available in bulk.
Anniversary Kake comes in bulk and claims a Perique content, although, like OGS, can be hard to taste it.
Though not in bulk, if you find yourself to be a VaPer fan, spring for some of Russ' RO Perique series. I've only tried the SV-23, but it was awesome.
Also in the tin only, but worth checking out is H&H Viprati.
If you don't mind a bit of dark fired in the mix, GL Pease' Sixpence is tasty and can be had in an 8 ounce can.
I recently acquired some Lane 125th anniversary in trade, a bulk VaPer. It was definitely a VaPer, but had an extra sweetness that I didn't appreciate. Maybe you will.
If you want to singe your nose hairs off and save cash simultaneously, get some Daughters & Ryan's Picayune. It's very dry and uncased and will demand you master your cadence to enjoy it.
Lots of stuff out there to try. Let us know if you discover any others!
jay-roger.jpg

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Ok, cool, my list is ever growing.

And the Russ blends have been on my list for a while it's just that those tins add up and Its hard to choose. Mb the pipe smoking version of st. Nick will bring me a P&C gift card...

highwaycobbery

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
Sutliff Virginia flakes are disgusting. Save your money, only one of the few tobaccos ive thrown out. OGS is a good all day smoke, while macB’s HH Perique is a fine blend. One of the only tobaccos that I’ve smoked that truly burns down to a fine white ash.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
Rattray sells VaPer in bulk.
And I like MM Country Gentlemen which is sold in a pouch

highwaycobbery

Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
Oh no, eggy, the blends are just up to the quality of the pipes themselves!You see, they take the cob drilling’s then mix them with plaster dust and dog shit, let it stove next to the cobs, bag it and tag it. WONDERFUL stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: TheWhale13

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
A bulk alternative to Escudo is a tall order, I can only think of three. One of them you already know about, Sutliff Elizabethan Match. The other two are H&H Louisiana Red and Samuel Gawith St James Flake in the 250g box. Of those three I think the best comp is Louisiana Red.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Not to interrupt this thread, but your comment is interesting to me as a noob, having only tried a few VAs, one being Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia. So what would you recommend for a "real Virginia"?
If the buy-in doesn't bother you, try Peter Heinrich's Curly Block.
Also very good are the HU tobaccos, like Director's Cut, Old Fredders, and Louisiana Broken Flake. These you have to order from Germany.
I also like the RO Perique Series, especially GP-11.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I don't have anything novel to add but I will agree that Bayou Morning was a big disappointment. I smoked a few bowls and it left me with nothing positive to say. I jarred it up for the cellar about 8 years ago in the hopes that it would become a worthwhile smoke over time but I still haven't bothered to test it out.
It was dry, not sweet, and far more harsh than I would like with little to no complexity of flavours.
Oh, and to sound off on another tobacco mentioned above, bulk Samuel Gawith St. James Flake is definitely a good purchase but I still think this needs a considerable amount of aging to reach its potential. Maybe not as much as the Stokkebye blends but still a bit of time to mature.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
That's funny that you called me eggy highway cob, my name is Greg and my mother sometimes called me Gregy Eggy and when I was sick made me Gregies Eggies which are soft boiled eggs with broken up bread or less often toast since sore throat were my ailment of choice..

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Sometime I want to start a thread about the difference between Sam Gawith and Gawith and hogarth and y one comes in bulk but not the other. And I want to try 1792 flake? I think it is and then st James.

Also, what about esotericas va/per? Jimi likes it...

techie

Jul 20, 2018
If the buy-in doesn't bother you, try Peter Heinrich's Curly Block
I will definitely look into this one. I see it's out of stock at SP, but it looks like a few places do have it (Iwan Ries) but theirs is in a tin and seems to be cut. Not sure about ordering from Germany.
I tried OGS today for the first time and liked it much better than Elizabethan.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
I have several pounds of Luxury Navy Flake. Ages well and at a good price. But for the longest time Reiner Long Golden Flake was my favorite va/per but now Cabbies Mixture is at the top of my list.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Dunbar and cabbies mixture I def wanna try bug always sold and and of course not in bulk..

I think I'm gonna break my tin boycott w firestorm..

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one on here that smokes GLP Telegraph Hill. I love the stuff and never see it mentioned in the VaPer discussions.
BTW - Cabbie's is in stock at TP right now.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one on here that smokes GLP Telegraph Hill. I love the stuff and never see it mentioned in the VaPer discussions.
Actually, I was able to get it on the gold standard list on another forum. The reason I didn't mention it here is that the OP is looking for bulks and Telegraph Hill is not available in bulk.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake is my favourite bulk va/per, the virginias are pleasant and the cavendish adds the sweetness making it an all day leisurely smoke.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Oh no, eggy, the blends are just up to the quality of the pipes themselves!You see, they take the cob drilling’s then mix them with plaster dust and dog shit, let it stove next to the cobs, bag it and tag it. WONDERFUL stuff.
You do realize Russ Ouellette made those blends, right? I'll throw Mac Baren's Acadian Perique into the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.