PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I've got a couple Rossi "starter pipes" that are still among my favorite go-to smokers. An apple (8202) and a dublin (8204). Like Hap mentioned above, I also like the toned down finishes these pipes have.

gordon28

Lurker
Nov 22, 2018
Thank you all for all your help I really do appreciate it and by the looks of things I may be jumping the gun at looking for just one new pipe, it seems like I'd be better off trying to get a few cheap cobs for rotation and once that sorted then look into something nicer, I stumbled across another pipe I love the look of, petersons bulldog 150 racing green and sterling silver ring, its just beautiful, I think based on what you are all saying here though a few cobs and perhaps a cheap briar or few estate pipes would be best for now and spend my money on tobacco blends rather than one or 2 nice pipes

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I tell every new pipe smoker they should buy a new Savinelli for under a hundred. I believe people should have a very good first pipe which will give them a baseline. Once you have smoked a good pipe you will know when you get a bad one. Savinelli's smoke cool and dry and they use good wood.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Simple answer (unusual for me) on options. Estates -- Nording, Savinelli. You can't go wrong with those, PERIOD, especially if bought from smokingpipes.com .
Their pipes are always in good shape & cleaned up; safe & ready to smoke, plus you don't have to worry about getting outbid as on eBay & other auction sites.
Bill

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Rossi is a good choice in that price range.
I absolutely love my Rossi Rubino bent pot. I really like that dark satin finish.
Just ordered a Rubino 8404 for $50. Couldn’t imagine a better first briar.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
A huge part of the enjoyment of smoking pipes is the pipes themselves.

As a newbie,this fascination can quickly become obsession, and there are several avenues of acquisition to quench that thirst for THE pipe.

Only you know your own parameters, but, from my perspective, I suggest that you make very sure that you will enjoy the hobby before you invest a lot of money in pipes.

I've had great luck with estates under $10.00 each and have all kinds of 'labels' to compare and critique. Sure, I bought a few that were basically 'ornamental' but, I hadn't spent a lot of money, and I learned.
It's about the smoke, the time spent with your pipe(s) and relaxation.

gordon28

Lurker
Nov 22, 2018
Thank you all for your advice I've had a look at all the pipes you have suggested with one problem, I like almost all of them lol I feel the pipes themselves could be the most addictive part of this hobby, I think I just feel the need for briar as I want something I like to smoke from, as far as smoking goes the cob is great but just not my style, I have actually dug out a long wooden pipe I've had for a while, not sure what wood it is made from but I think it is ebony, tbh it's not your traditional tobacco pipe but it smokes cool and I can taste the tobacco well in it and let's my cob get a rest for now, I think ill go to my local tobacconist in a few days and pick up a few more blends as I'm running a bit low now and see what they have in stock, if I don't see anything I like I reckon I'll probably go for a blakemar briars and order some more cobs for rotation, I'd imagine once I've smoked a decent made pipe I can then order pipes I like the look of with a bit more understanding of how they should smoke

dante

Lurker
Nov 26, 2018
I am relatively fresh back into pipes and I've thrown a bit of cash down on various brands to explore them. I have to say i keep going back to my Morgan Bones. For the money as a first pipe if I could go again that would be my first choice. Smokes great.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Morgan Bones! That’s the one I was trying to remember. I absolutely gotta have one of those. I love the unfinished briar. They smoke so good and it’s really cool watching them change color over time. Thanks for the reminder.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
most of my pipes are morgan bones. i'm a beginner and cracked three of them. but not too expensive to make me feel bad. and even with crack, they smoke fine. have two briarworks, and two peterson. i smoke those really slow.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I've had a look at all the pipes you have suggested with one problem, I like almost all of them lol I feel the pipes themselves could be the most addictive part of this hobby
Picked up on that, did you??? :wink:

gordon28

Lurker
Nov 22, 2018
Sorry to keep this going but another option I've been thinking about is making my own pipe as I think id prefer smoking from something I've made and have seen a few pre drilled briar ebauchan kits that you can carve your own pipe from, has anyone tried these out, if they smoke good I'd probably rather go down that route

gordon28

Lurker
Nov 22, 2018
Yeah no problem I'd be happy to do a post of the making of my first pipe, I intended to make my own pipe anyway but was going to just buy one first for quickness but as I've got my cob it'd be cool to have my first briar as one I've made and something to keep for life

Status
Not open for further replies.