PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Pipe kits are absolutely fun and a great way to have a personal pipe. However, I leave you with a few words of warning:

The pipe kits are not usually the prettiest piece of briar and are not always drilled perfectly. The stem is usually acrylic and a bit thick, you'll likely want to rework the stem for comfort. Then you will discover that nothing was quite the way you wanted it and before you know it you may build a workshop, acquire a lathe, spend a ton of money on materials, and start making a bunch of pipes in your "spare time," of which you will have less and less every day. You may then struggle with when the right time to sell a pipe is, how good a pipe should be before selling it, and becoming obsessive over little details of every pipe. Or you may carve one and be perfectly happy and skip all of the ridiculousness which I just mentioned. YMMV. Godspeed.

gordon28

Lurker
Nov 22, 2018
I can only imagine crashthegrey lol I have made a few small pipes before just whittling and drilling, nothing fancy just some single wood pieces similar to carving spoons but my only tools so far have been a knife and sandpaper, I think I will get some files for this one though

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
"How does one crack a pipe? From smoking, or did you drop it or drive over it? Pics please!"
from smoking. either i smoked too hot too often, or try to keep relight the tobacco at the very bottom. now i smoke much slower, and don't relight if what's left in the bowl is near bottom.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I smoked my first pipe so hot, it bubbled up the varnish coating. Dr Grabow Grand Duke and still smoking it today. Looks like hell though.

dante

Lurker
Nov 26, 2018
oh yeah i gave the guy an extra $25 and it came back all cracked like this...

57dkEB9.jpg

dante

Lurker
Nov 26, 2018
it's got a lot darker with smoking it.It's kind of lost the dynamics but i still love it

R6xhvZD.jpg

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Although I am far from an expert and some of the forum members may know this by know, my first briar was this Savinelli and it's doing great. It cost me $75 and it's perfect for me atm. I also find it beautiful.
It's a Savinelli Piazza Di Spagna Rusticated 602

Savinelli-Piazza-Di-Spagna-Rustic-606-KS-Tobacco-_1.jpg

I think Savinellis around this price are worth it for beginners (like me).

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Rdavid- Re: your pipe that has bubbled varnish, are you interested in refurbing it? If so, post a photo or two.
Hey jpm. Yes, definitely going to refurb. I’ll start a new post with pics etc. Probably be a few days.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Dante that pipe looks great. Wasn’t going to order the extra lightning finish but you definitely changed my mind. Thanks.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Hey Machado. I have that same pipe but in a smooth finish. It’s one of my best smokers. Got it as an estate (unsmoked) for $80.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Totally concur -- Savinelli or Nording, either should be available from SPC or other quality vendor. Bang:buck, cost: benefit is a guaranteed.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Well covered ground already, but Savinellis/Rossi for sure. I own several of both and have never been disappointed

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
Just gifted a friend of mine his first briar. He’s new to the hobby. It was a unsmoked Rossi 673. He loves it. Grab one for $40.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but why has basically no one recommended him a Stanwell?
Since it's cheaper than Savinellis, and also a good smoker as you guys said, I thought it'd make sense.

rogerrodger

Lurker
Dec 7, 2018
My first briar was a Savinelli second basket pipe. Then a Rossi estate from smokingpipes.com. Both are great smoking pipes. The total expense for both was $90. My first non-briar pipes were Missouri Meerschaum corncobs, also excellent pipes, total expense $30.

My next briar was a Peterson Derry Rusticated. Even though it is now smoking well, it took several days of running bristle cleaners through the stem to get the draw acceptable. I'm glad it wasn't my first briar. It might have turned me off to briars altogether.

I'm waiting right now for a bent Cayuga billiard that was on sale for $49. Based on all the testimonials praising Cayugas on this forum site, I think that one of the Cayugas from Paul's Pipe shop would be a good first briar pipe, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.