PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
I have a Falcon marked '1", was purchased new aboard the USS Austin AD 31 in 1965, I still have it. This pipe and a can of "Three Nuns" for $10.00.

Falcon is a good smoker and easy to clean!

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
Not wishing to sound ungrateful for all your input on this, but I've had a change of heart for the time being. I think with the EU-TPD fiasco, it's probably more prudent to focus my meagre budget on tobaccos.
I'm NOT looking to build a cellar in the same way many of you do, I simply don't have the funds to do that. However, I do think trying to get three or four tins ahead of myself, would be a smarter move than picking up another pipe in the short term.
I might revisit this later in the year. Thanks again for your input folks. :puffy:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The fact that Alfred Dunhill established the pipe archetype as briar, and the many since who have since followed, have indelibly impressed my mind such that I define a pipe as a briar pipe, with bowl and shank from the same wood. Briar is certainly the most permanent material as compared to cob and meer. Falcons by virtue of metal and wood are as permanent as briar but disheveled by separate bowl and shank/bit, as are cobs. Their shanks and stems are oddly shaped compared to the bends we've normalized in briar.
Great smokers? So they say. But too funky for me.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Falcons have 2 major advantages, one is unlike Peterson system pipes and Carey Magic Inch pipes, Falcons actually deliver on their promise of a cool, dry smoke. The other is they are very sturdy and not apt to snap if kept in a pocket and inadvertently sat on. As such it makes a superior travel pipe, assuming some ignorant airport security grunt doesn't mistake it for a dope pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.