PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I have one that my niece sent me as a gift. I like it very much. I never use a dry ring and I agree with ashdigger eluding about them smoking wet being a candence & tobacco moisture issue. I let a little charred tobacco build up in the bottom of my bowl in order to have a little extra insulation in between what I am smoking and the metal. The charred remains also help to keep it smoking dry.
Stvalentine, that collection is awesome! I especially love the wide rimmed briar.
I'm also looking into a meer bowl and a tall bowl, like tbradsim1 has. Very nice!

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
A falcon is everything a pipe like that ought to be. That doesn't seem to say all that much, but all the pluses definitely outweigh any perceived negatives. It isn't a master-built artisan pipe, but for what it is, it is excellent! I recommend them!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I have quite a few Falcon pipes, all bought as part of collections of estate pipes. During the refurbishment of them I did notice that whereas most stems detach from the aluminium shank, some steadfastly refuse to budge.
I don't believe they are just stuck, I reckon they were glued into place at the factory but for whatever reason I don't know.
Anyone else experienced this?
Oh, and yes, they are great smokers (smoking one right now) and I make up my own rings from pipecleaners.
Regards,
Jay.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Well I guess you have answered the age old question about who buys these things. Maybe Falcon will even introduce a Brylon bowl and then the world will be at peace! An after thought whilst in London I saw quite a few of these pipes in the window of a tobacconist.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
@mawnensmiff: Flacons stems are pressed on the aluminum shank and are not meant to come off. Softening them in boiling water is said to be the trick but I haven´t tried it yet.
@Simon: Welcome to Blackpool buddy! :lol:

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
Well I guess you have answered the age old question about who buys these things. Maybe Falcon will even introduce a Brylon bowl and then the world will be at peace! An after thought whilst in London I saw quite a few of these pipes in the window of a tobacconist.
Well I've tried cobs, clays, and cheapo hardwoods, so I suppose it makes sense to take one of these for a test drive too. I did actually try one of those "wood effect" pipes a couple of years ago, and that was singly the worst smoke I ever had. I figured it might have been "first bowl syndrome" and tried again. Sometime during the third bowl, it got run under the tap and thrown in the bin.
Great juxtapositioning here!
:lol:
A falcon is everything a pipe like that ought to be. That doesn't seem to say all that much, but all the pluses definitely outweigh any perceived negatives. It isn't a master-built artisan pipe, but for what it is, it is excellent! I recommend them!
Yes, that seems to be the general consensus - condorlover excluded of course :P I think the plan will be one stem, and one hunter bowl, and if that works out well I might try a meerschaum bowl too.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
'Wood Effect' :rofl: That has to be the funniest description of Brylon I have ever heard! Brilliant! Hi Frank hows the weather out in Merkel-Land treating you?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I've got a couple that I was given when I expressed my curiosity. I don't use dry rings, and I have no difficulty cleaning them with BJ Long regular cleaners (not tapered or bristle). I keep these on hand anyway, because I fond them perfect for running through a pipe while smoking.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
No problems with regular or "extra fluffy" cleaners. After a bowl I empty the ash, unscrew bowl, flick the pipe to get rid of any fluid, attach bowl, run a pipe cleaner, load and go. Once a week clean with Everclear.
Do not make smoking these pipes more complicated than it is. It's not a Kirsten.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
Do not make smoking these pipes more complicated than it is. It's not a Kirsten.
Unfortunately, this means nothing to me whatsoever. What's a Kirsten - or am I better off not knowing?

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
I've been having a good look at which Falcon I might want to try, and I'm thinking about a straight hunter stem purely for aesthetics. As to a bowl, again I'm thinking hunter, but more for avoiding having to go through the burning off the woodstain phase (a more pleasant break-in). No doubt the bowl will darken to the stained colour in time anyway.
However, what I would like input in is which bowl shape. Although I've clocked up three years with pipes, I haven't explored plain Virginias, or Virginia/Periques, so I don't know how these burn. Are any of these bowls more/less suitable for those blends? The options seem to be 19mm or 22mm chambers. Looks wise, I'm leaning towards the Bulldog (thick walls, at 19 dia x 25 deep). Anyone got any pointers, or is it all pretty irrelevant?
I'm also open to suggestions as to which Va/VaPer to start off with. I was considering FVF, thinking a flake might be better for the break in period as they're slower burning anyway.
Feel free to shoot me down if any of my thinking is awry

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
kane asked:
BTW, does anyone know what the numbers and/or letters that are stamped on the bottom of the dome signify?
plateauguy answered that in an interesting post from several years ago:
Falcons started in the USA with a simple mark of Falcon 1 or 2 or 3, etc. They were exported to England 1955-1957 under the names of ALCO and Rollit (marked PP). There have been several manufacturers.
ALCO was manufactured in England starting in 1964 with a different bowl size.
F2 thru F8 were made by Fry Diecast

P4 is Presbar Die 4
The "Made in England" marking started in the early 60's. FD plus a number is Fry Diecast - the number range is FD1 - FD19. The Bantams were marked as FD B5 or FD B7 OXFORD can be marked on the Humidome, but not always.
The Shillelagh started production inb May 1966 with FD8 marking. They came in solid black with a black stem, or a bright with a white stem, or a bright with a light blue center with a white stem. You could buy a colored bowl or a traditional briar.
Federal Die Casting is marked FDF/FDG/FDH.
Andoic is marked AN plus a die number

AN2 - 1974

AN3 - 1982
Irish Falcons are confusing - mostly marked Falcon Ireland but could be marked Falcon Great Britian which had Irish stems and an English made frame.
From 1975 to 1981 there was a Falcon Head imprinted on the stem.
That's from the Let's Show Off Our Falcons thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.