PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jeebs1

Lurker
Dec 20, 2023
South Mississippi
A recent purchase and do not know much about the pipe , does anyone know aproxmate era in which the pipe may have been made , and the tendon has something in the end which I’m not familiar with , doesn’t look like a stinger
IMG_7424.pngIMG_7425.pngIMG_7423.pngIMG_7421.png

Jeebs1

Lurker
Dec 20, 2023
South Mississippi
I just found this info
Xtras haven't been made since the 1930's,
GBD Xtra and GBD Special were very early models who’s names indicated special final treatments and / or fitments
I guess it could be a fitment? Whatever that is
The stem has a brass roundell

Jeebs1

Lurker
Dec 20, 2023
South Mississippi
The stamping on the GBD is GBD xtra on one side and London Made over England, in my reading I did not see such stamping, I have one that is just London Made

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This 2018 thread may be helpful

Reactions: Jeebs1

Jeebs1

Lurker
Dec 20, 2023
South Mississippi
I have my 2 new GBD’s cleaned and ready to smoke , the bottom pipe is the one that I had ask questions about, trying to find out what era it may have been made with the stamping. “ GBD Extra & IMG_7472.jpegIMG_7474.jpegIMG_7476.jpegLondon Made over England

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Reactions: Jeebs1

Jeebs1

Lurker
Dec 20, 2023
South Mississippi
With that five digit shape number, and the odd COM, that might be a Cadogan era release. They revived the brass rondell one or two times after '81
I have been reading your suggested articles , would this statement be relevant
the grade gives some clues. Xtras haven't been made since the 1930's, for instance (the line discontinued in 1937
X1092
The brass rondell made a reappearance on new production GBD's.

My pipe has the small silver GBD roundel and oval button

Not sure if any of that makes a difference, so I’m not gonna try to figure it out , I’m just gonna smoke it and the other one for 25 bucks ea

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have been reading your suggested articles , would this statement be relevant
the grade gives some clues. Xtras haven't been made since the 1930's, for instance (the line discontinued in 1937
X1092
The brass rondell made a reappearance on new production GBD's.

My pipe has the small silver GBD roundel and oval button

Not sure if any of that makes a difference, so I’m not gonna try to figure it out , I’m just gonna smoke it and the other one for 25 bucks ea
I've never seen a GBD with a five digit shape code. I posted your pix to the GBD facebook page. Mike Hagley will likely comment.

Reactions: jpberg and Jeebs1