PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Boy am I glad that I put away a few lbs of my favorite GH Blends last spring. Particularly BCF, Dark Flake and Dark Bird's Eye. This is scary stuff.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
I don't know if it was mentioned earlier, but it's up at Pipes and Cigars too...looks like about 1/4 of the blends in stock

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
Update...it looks like most of what is showing as in stock on the front page of their site, when you click through, it then shows out of stock...some are there, but most aren't...bad webmaster obviously or it's just selling out that quickly.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Update...it looks like most of what is showing as in stock on the front page of their site, when you click through, it then shows out of stock...some are there, but most aren't...bad webmaster obviously or it's just selling out that quickly.
I really like ordering from P&C but this always frustrates me. Seems like you have to go a page or two deep just to discover everything out of stock. Makes browsing products a PITA for sure.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
i have a bunch of big jars of dark flake licorice stuffed fill, about 3 years old, topping is still strong if anybody really wants to buy a jar pm me.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I heard the G&H Westmoreland Slices was very similar to the old Irish Condor...any truth to that rumor?
I've only had Condor a couple times and it was late last summer in Scotland, so I'm not the best source, but here's what I do know. I was in Edinburgh at The Pipe Shop and asked about a pouch of Condor. The tobacconist told me that although he had Condor, it was for folks who were too lazy to go to a tobacconist. He recommended Gawith Hoggarths Westmorland Slices instead. I bought a small quantity from their bulk jars and wish I'd bought more. AFAIK, Westmorland Slices is not at all the same as the Samuel Gawith blend by a similar name. Sadly, Westmorland Slices are not exported to the USA. I just ordered some from Daniel Schneider at synjeco.ch, though, along with the hard-to-get FV and SJ Plugs. Westmorland Slices is not listed on the site yet, but they have it. The one problem is that they only accept American Express or wire transfer for payment from the USA. The cost was 12.50 CH (Swiss Francs) per 50g. The Swiss Franc is about on par with the USD right now, so it's the equivalent of about $12.50/tin.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
I picked up 3 pounds of Dark Flake today. I didn't plan on it, but you never know when this stuff will be in stock.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
There are two possible explanations for the shortage in the US that come to mind. One is that the distributor isn't ordering enough, but I find that highly unlikely. If you sell a product that flies out the door as soon as it lands, you would almost certainly buy as much as you could. The second possibility, I think, is more likely. The Chinese market is booming, and they're willing to pay higher prices. If I had a market that I could sell to at a higher margin, I would send them as much as I could, but I would protect my home market first.
Russ

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@ BlendTobac,Moreover The G&H company does ship large quantities of their product to Russia,Ukraine and the Czech Republic as well,but never could I imagine they import to China too much.Thank You for this added information Sir.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
dont know if this was why there has been shortages
https://www.briarreport.org/2019/02/07/kretek-international-now-exclusive-importer-of-gawith-hoggarth-co-pipe-tobacco/

Mar 1, 2014
Russ has a good point.
Pretty soon the only people left visiting Pipesmagazine will be Chinese because they’re going to be the only people on earth allowed to smoke tobacco.

upnorth1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
I picked up some rum flake from 4noggins three days ago, but I find I have to check in every day. Whenever they get new stock it seems to last only a day or two. This time it was gone the next day.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I cannot buy Rose Geranium Plug anywhere for love nor money. I find it impossible to believe that this has now become some new favorite with the Chinese. As an after thought I had a message through my 'All Things Cutty' blog from a Chines gentleman asking me if I would sell him some of my meerschaum pipe collection and the prices being banded around were astounding to me. Needless to say I politely declined his kind offer and suggested that he do as I do and spend hours wandering around flea markets.

• Haha
Reactions: Simmerdown☕️

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
A week or so ago I got 2x500g Rich Dark Honeydew, 1x500g Bosun and 1# of Happy Brown Bogie from TobaccoPipes. Last week I got 2#'s of Ennerdale from P&C. Usually by the time you see an alert on the forums you are too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.