PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I was interested to try a twist/rope tobacco because of its reputation for being a strong smoke. I also liked the idea of lightly topped, strong blends (such as Royal Yacht) that occupy that strange no-man’s-land between aromatic and non-aromatic.
So, I purchased some Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Sweet Maple Twist. Some sites have this listed as a non-aromatic, composed of Burley and Dark Fired Kentucky, but as the name implies, there is a light topping to the tobacco.
Tin Note: The twist was similar in appearance to a cigar (I’ll leave the less flattering comparisons out here), and had a delicious aroma—almost like strong tea leaves. I’ve read that this is merely Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.’s Brown Irish X Twist with a bit of maple added. The maple is not immediately discernible in the tin note, but rather absorbed into the overall tobacco aroma, manifesting itself merely as a hint of sweetness.
Flavor: Upon lighting this blend, I immediately fell in love with it. The tobacco is rich, and—I don’t quite know how to put this—has texture to it in the mouth. The smoke is quite tangible, not in the way that an English blend is with its dominating latakia, but rather more subtle and rich. I’m still relatively new to pipe smoking, but this was a flavor with the fullness and depth of something like Peterson’s Irish Flake. That said, there was a distinct maple sweetness to the blend that makes this blend for me. Anyone expecting an aromatic would be quite disappointed: again, the topping is subtle, but I certainly could detect it, since there was a discernible sweet undertone to the blend. If C&D's Autumn Evening is the Log Cabin Maple Syrup of the pipe world, then this twist would be the corresponding authentic, no-sugar added maple syrup.
Smoke: I used a cigar cutter to slice thin coins and then rub them out. I had read online that ropes tend to require a bit of time to dry before smoking them, but I completely forgot this during my first smoke. I quickly remembered when I found I couldn’t keep it lit very well. It was not so wet as to be un-smokable, but I did have to relight probably at least five times.
The second time around I let it dry for about thirty minutes after rubbing out the coins and it smoked perfectly. I’ve read that although it might seem that the black ropes might be stronger than brown, actually the processing of the darker ropes removes some nicotine content. This brown rope was certainly robust. I have a fairly high nicotine tolerance, so it’s difficult for me to say, but this blend is in the class where I could feel the nicotine from it—along with Peterson Irish Flake, Five Brothers, and Royal Yacht. I’m not sure exactly how it compares to those since there are other variables—food on the stomach, etc.
In Summary: For some reason I can’t wait to smoke this again. It’s not a particularly remarkable blend in any one respect, but for me the maple undertone just perfectly melds with the tobacco to produce a cohesive experience. Sometimes it seems the topping of certain blends doesn’t quite go with the tobacco itself. Often even in blends I quite like, there are two discernible, separate flavors—the tobacco and the topping. In this maple twist, however, they mingle in a sort of perfect symbiosis for my palate and form one, unified flavor.
I’d recommend this tobacco to those who like strong, robust blends, and don’t mind a hint of topping. It tastes nothing like Royal Yacht, but I feel it’s in that same, somewhat rare family of blends that are robust but tangibly topped.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I would recommend you try some coconut twist as well, same attributes, different flavor.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Nice review I was wondering how the twists were. How about the nicotine?

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Sounds like my kind of aromatic, if Cosmic's Nicotine Assessment is correct.

I almost added to my review, "I'm looking at you, deathmetal!"
I probably need to smoke it a few more times to make a judgment on nicotine. It didn't feel quite as strong as Royal Yacht and Irish Flake, but I smoked a smaller bowl both times because I didn't have as much time. It may be closer to those blends if I smoke a full bowl, which I will soon.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I enjoy this in one of my smallest pipes. Then I sit still for a while to make sure the world is not spinning. I like the idea of adding Autumn Evening to this to get more maple.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
I would recommend you try some coconut twist as well, same attributes, different flavor.

The Sweet Rum Twist is also wonderful. Great post. I'll give your review five stars :D
I am definitely interested in trying the other variations! Rum, Coconut, and Black Cherry seem to be most widely available, although if one looks into the world of snuff/chewing tobacco, they offer these same twists in even more flavors, though they seem quite a bit more expensive!
I'd be interested in trying some of the cinnamon twist available on Mr. Snuff, but it's sold in 12.5 g (approx 0.5 ounce) packages at $5.85 a piece, so that's pretty darn steep... $11 an ounce!
In fact, if you look at the full listing, there are just shy of 30 flavors listed on Mr. Snuff.

https://mrsnuff.com/gawith-hoggarth-twist-c-186_188.html
It seems to be a flavored brown kendal twist, so presumably basically the same variety of rope, just a thinner diameter. I've also seen some posters on forums note that sometimes in the packages, it's not the thinner diameter twist, but actually the larger rope, even when sold as chewing tobacco. I've also seen these flavors available with the black rope as well.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
I just checked snuffstore.com and found that the Samuel Gawith ropes (both black and brow) are also available in a similar array of flavors. Again, it's all a bit too pricey for my tastes at the moment, so I'll probably stick to the flavors offered for reasonable rates on pipe tobacco websites, but for those looking for more of these strong ropes with light aromatic toppings, there really is a wealth of options out there.
Also, for all the paranoid people out there who worry about G&H and SG offerings being tinged with Lakeland essences, there's not a hint of that in this rope.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Also, I wouldn't waste my time with the cherry either. Blech, eck... bleh. :|
I'm not a huge fan of cherry (only smoked one cherry blend), but from what I've heard the black cherry is quite a bit less flavored than the maple.
I've heard good things about the rum and coconut. I don't like coconut in general, so it might take some persuading to get me to try that one.
On the snuff websites they have a whiskey flavored rope, which sounds interesting. The cinnamon appealed to me, as I could imagine the spiciness melding with the rope to produce a spicy, dark, almost cigar-like taste. There's even a vanilla offering, but though I like vanilla, I almost think it would work better with a lighter tobacco as in most aromatic blends.
All in all, I'll probably pick up some of the sweet rum twist next time I purchase.

The coconut is my absolute favorite. I liked it so much after my first sample that I went haywire and bought several pounds. I like to mix it with a pinch of Molto Dolce for an outstanding smoke. I would be curious about vanilla and maybe cinnamon. But, cherry? Every cherry that I have tried, including rope, leaves a medicine-y after taste that is not very pleasant.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
The coconut is my absolute favorite. I liked it so much after my first sample that I went haywire and bought several pounds. I like to mix it with a pinch of Molto Dolce for an outstanding smoke. I would be curious about vanilla and maybe cinnamon. But, cherry? Every cherry that I have tried, including rope, leaves a medicine-y after taste that is not very pleasant.
I'm guessing coconut in tobacco might change my opinion of it. I've found vanilla tastes quite different in a smoke than in food!
The only bummer is that they are all backordered on Pipes and Cigars. I guess the tiny amount of Maple I ordered was the last they had, haha.
Looks like Rum flavor is available on smokingpipes, however.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Update for review:
I'm smoking through 1/2 pound of the Rum version of this twist, and it is equally good. A similar hint of sweetness, though of course more rummy.
This is very stout stuff: I've realized that I may not have such a high nicotine tolerance, but rather that I pretty much only smoke after meals to relax. So I'm always smoking on a full stomach. This will get me lightheaded even on a full stomach, so for those with low nic tolerance, it'd be best to stay away.
It is actually the same twist as the Brown Irish X, just with topping, so all warning regarding strength apply to these as well.
The flavored twists are now far and away my favorite smoke!

Status
Not open for further replies.