PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Gasoline and propane should never be stored in an enclosed space, especially an attached garage. We have a strategic petroleum reserve of about 60 gallons, all in 5 gallon NATO cans. Those cans are airtight. They are stored in an unheated outbuilding with an open door. 20# propane tanks are stored outdoors. The 55 gallon drums of ether are stored in the kitchen, next to the woodstove.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
I heard stories of old time miners , using dynamite . Of course in cold damp weather , the dynamite didn't always trigger reliably .. so .. the trick was to warm it up first .
The noobs would get pretty freaked out to see a couple cases dynamite left on top of the wood stove at the camp , to warm it up before heading out ..

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
If I may add a question to this. Does the smoke from the pipe get into the cars? I dont think it would given the ventilation but I'd like to know for sure.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
It can get inside cars , since they are ventilated to the outside no matter what the climate setting .
Enough to smell , maybe
Busted ;)

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
My question is how big is your garage, how well ventilated is it?
It's a pretty "standard" two-car garage. It just fits two cars, mower, snowblower, etc. etc. I have a side door near the back at the opposite end of the garage door. I plan to open that a crack for ventilation, but the space heater is electric, not propane.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@nitemair13 - My experience was no. My wifes new truck is beside my work/smoking area and suffered no bad smells. My soft top MGB, on the other side, also had no smell issues.( I wouldn't have had a problem with that one).

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Already sick of smoking in the 30's outside...not going to bother with the garage...smoking in my office in the house tonight. World Series on the computer, a nice bourbon, and my pipe. Life's too short to smoke in the garage. Just thought I'd offer an update : )

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Get a decent sized electric heater that will focus the heat out the side. Sit with it facing you. That should at least make it bearable. We have a 3 car garage, 1 small bay, 1 larger. I walled off the smaller bay and created a man cave/smoking room. It evolved from something simple to adding an air conditioner and a gas heater hooked up to natural gas coming into the house. Also added a 55" flat screen and a couple of recliners.
I moved my office out to the man cave about 3 months ago, I smoke 6 to 8 bowls per day. Have spent several hours per day smoking for almost 10 years. No problems to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.