PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
You know those cartoons where Yosemite Sam chases bugs bunny into the dark cave ... and then strikes a match to see the gunpowder kegs ..

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Plenty of gas jockeys pumped gas while smoking in the 50-60's,so I feel safe smoking in my garage with a closed gas can.
Watch the space heater - particularly if they are propane fired. My garage is insulated and pretty tight. That space heater will suck the oxygen out of the area pretty quickly I keep a window cracked for fresh air intake. I only use that heater when I need to work on the cars, etc. For my smoking area, a small electric heater keeps it cozy enough for winter use (my walls/ceiling/door are insulated). But, by the end of winter, I feel trapped in there and I'm itching to get back out onto the patio/fresh air.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Keep smoking in garages I could use the work. I love a good garage fire.
FWIW, I've investigated many, many more garage fires due to smoking activity vs any other causation.
Roll the dice, daddy needs some more Ryan Alden's.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Looked like security footage.
Yes of course...I guess everyone's got those now.
You have to feel sorry for kids these days...they can't even leave a flaming bag of dog poop on the neighbor's doorstep anymore without being caught on camera.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Oh no! You mean we've lost yet another meth cook? And they're such a rare and endangered species these days. Tsk, tsk.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I have a rather large garage, accommodates two full size vehicles, a moderately sized shop and the usual mower in summer, chainsaws, fuel cans, etc. My question is how big is your garage, how well ventilated is it? I smoke in mine when working and have never had a whiff of fuel unless I've fueled something up. If you are concerned I'm sure there are vapor detectors you could install.
Admittedly I'm not a fire investigator but, my experience with garage fires as a cop was that most were started by vehicle problems, poor storage of flammable materials, etc. Correct me if necessary "ashdigger", but, thousands smoke in their garages as a matter of routine while storing fuel, solvents, etc. What's the percentage of garage fires idnited by smoking? As compared to faulty wiring, vehicle fires, storage of rags impregnated with solvents (spontaneous combustion?), etc? Just curious.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Warren, for clarification, most fires in garages that I've investigated were caused by improper disposal of smoking materials.
Fuel vapor explosions are minimal as well as static vehicles.
I've encountered more electrical fires in garages from people using shitty relocatable power taps (RPT's) commonly referred to as power strips or extenders than I have gas vapor explosions/fires.
I just do not encourage it at all. Humans zig when they should zag and that creates real problems.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I live in SE Louisiana so I generally don't worry about parking my truck in our two car garage. With all the stuff one of our daughters and her husband has stored in there, I could get my truck in there anyway. I do keep my weed-eater, lawn mower and a couple of 5 gallon Jerry Cans of gas in the garage. I smoke in the garage when it's raining and/or the weather has cooled off enough for me to sit in there comfortably. (The garage doesn't have air conditioning.)
I always open the garage door and turn on the ceiling fan. The cans of gas are kept just inside the doors. I will pull the lawnmower outside but that mainly because it would be in the way otherwise. I should also mention that a good portion of my garage is filled with a corner patio bar, a TV, my recliner and a table.
The point? Oh! Do what needs to be done to reduce fire hazards in your garage - (ashdigger said it best about power strips and extension cords, but he called them something else.). Use an ash tray and make sure the ashes are disposed of properly. Move to the south so you don't freeze you ass off when smoking outside.
By the way, I subscribe to the policy of never storing propane tanks inside. I keep one tank on my gas grill and the spare sits on a concrete slab and covered by a table in the back yard.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Lots of spark and flame producing activities in my shop, welding, cutting, grinding and a woodstove. I'll roll the dice on smoking. I do take precautions and store all gas cans and propane tanks in an outbuilding but do have motorcycles and quads inside. I do have a healthy respect (fear)of the possibility or chance of fire and try to act accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.