G.L. Pease English blend recommendations.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
Hi everyone. I'm thinking to place a new order. I will put the C&D Pirate Kake in the order (I want to try it for a long time). But I want another one English blend from G.L. Pease. I want an full bodied English blend with medium strength, that is sweet, creamy, leathery, and smooth. Something similar like Ashton Artisans (great flavor, but very mild for me). What are your suggestions?

Thanks.

Reactions: JOHN72

john19

Nov 27, 2021
Greece
You won't go wrong with either Quiet Nights (broken flake) or Spark Plug (sorta plug, but more like a cake, but you'll need to cut it up some because they like to incorporate some large leaf in it). Two of my favorites. Gas Light is also great if you like plug tobaccos.
The Spark Plug has caught my attention from the first time. And Westminster too.

Reactions: PA Piper Mike

john19

Nov 27, 2021
Greece
I believe Quiet Nights would be a great choice.
The Jim's review for the Quiet Nights start with "was surprised at the sweetness of the blend". I have this in the list too.

I expected Peterson Early Morning to be sweeter, but it is very "dry".

Jul 12, 2011
A bit different indeed but in the English Family according to SP - I think it Amp's up the tastebuds with the mix of Cigar Leaf, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia - I think some "skip" because of cigar leaf ( BIG MISTAKE )... the Dark Lord didn't just smash up a cigar and throw it in the mix, haha

Reactions: john19

john19

Nov 27, 2021
Greece
A bit different indeed but in the English Family according to SP - I think it Amp's up the tastebuds with the mix of Cigar Leaf, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia - I think some "skip" because of cigar leaf ( BIG MISTAKE )... the Dark Lord didn't just smash up a cigar and throw it in the mix, haha
I have the Key Largo in my list for a long time. There are so many blends out there, which is very difficult to decide.

Reactions: thesmokindragon
Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
The Spark Plug has caught my attention from the first time. And Westminster too.
I'll admit, I am curious about Westminster, I have a can or 2 of it, but haven't cracked it yet since I already have plenty of English blends open at the moment. I didn't want to recommend anything I haven't already smoked, but I have heard good things about Westminster.

john19

Nov 27, 2021
Greece
I really enjoy Westminster. Solid medium strength English blend with a good degree of complexity. Chelsea Morning is another favorite. Quiet Nights as mentioned many times previously is excellent as well.
Westminster and Spark Plug caught my eye from the first time. They are top on my list.

Reactions: Bbailey324

Redtech

Lurker
Mar 20, 2023
Westminster and Picadily are the only GL Pease English I have tried, enjoyed them both, but Picadily was the favorite.

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Pretty much everybody is going to recommend Quiet Nights. It really is something special. It has a great, complimentary casing on it and is velvety smooth. One that is a little under the radar is Charing Cross. It's every bit as good as Quiet Nights, but more Oriental forward, while still having a nice latakia presence, and good Virginias. It is more suitable for all times through out the day and not just limited to an evening smoke. I'm not saying it's anything like Quiet Nights, it's just a really solid Balkan for every occasion. Also, by Gl Pease is a Drucquer&Sons blend called Levant. It is a full English blend that makes a nice evening smoke. It is amazing. I hate to tell you this...but majority of Pease's English blends are probably going to work out really well for you. I promise he has something for you. You're going to wanna check out his entire English line as well as his Drucquer&Sons offerings....

john19

Nov 27, 2021
Greece
Pretty much everybody is going to recommend Quiet Nights. It really is something special. It has a great, complimentary casing on it and is velvety smooth. One that is a little under the radar is Charing Cross. It's every bit as good as Quiet Nights, but more Oriental forward, while still having a nice latakia presence, and good Virginias. It is more suitable for all times through out the day and not just limited to an evening smoke. I'm not saying it's anything like Quiet Nights, it's just a really solid Balkan for every occasion. Also, by Gl Pease is a Drucquer&Sons blend called Levant. It is a full English blend that makes a nice evening smoke. It is amazing. I hate to tell you this...but majority of Pease's English blends are probably going to work out really well for you. I promise he has something for you. You're going to wanna check out his entire English line as well as his Drucquer&Sons offerings....
Thanks. I'm leaning towards for Quiet Nights more.

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
The last two times I made starter kits for new pipe smokers, I've included GLP Westminster.

This one is kind of a Goldilocks. It’s perfectly blended. No one tobacco overpowers the other. It’s dry, smokey, and woody. It’s not too strong. It’s not overpowering. It reminds me of a campfire in the best kind of way. This blend doesn’t seem very sensitive to temperature ranges, so you can smoke it cool or hot and get a consistent flavor.

It's the only GLP English you can get in a tin by the pound. And it's called Westminster. Give it a shot!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
DISCLAIMER! I enjoy Latakia mostly in condimental/lightly applied mxitures.

Picadilly and (Drucquer & Sons) The King's Fool are the two of his I enjoy the most.

For an honorable mention, Key Largo is a very unique cigar leaf blend of his with Latakia that is also a favorite. I feel like most smokers who enjoy english blends would enjoy it.

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
DISCLAIMER! I enjoy Latakia mostly in condimental/lightly applied mxitures.

Picadilly and (Drucquer & Sons) The King's Fool are the two of his I enjoy the most.

For an honorable mention, Key Largo is a very unique cigar leaf blend of his with Latakia that is also a favorite. I feel like most smokers who enjoy english blends would enjoy it.
Yes! Piccadilly is my favorite from GL. Highly recommend.

My review on smoking pipes sums it up perfectly for myself.