PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
I love it, especially fresh, I taste the sweetness in it, almost like the marshmallows in a freshly heated smore, also it smells like a campfire, i find it interesting how pipe smokers can taste the tobaccos differently.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
@hextor If we didn't.. then probably There would be 3-4 tobacco blends at most

@beefeater33 I second this

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Great review and discussion in this thread. I settled on OTT, but each branch of the Frog family is worthy.

seacaptain1

Lurker
Jan 15, 2017
Frog Morton cellar is a whiskey sweet version of the original frog. It's tin aroma to me smells like a flat Cream soda..I don't really like the tin aroma. When smoked It lights up great and smokes cool and it's a treat at the right time. It hits the sweet spot from time to time. It's a nice morning pipe as it is light and sweet. I've smoked all the frogs. The original is my favorite lat blend I've found the last few years hands down. Cellar pairs up well with coffee in the morning. I find it to be the first bowl of the day when I reach for it. The frogs are all way to similar For me to reccomend having all of them. Each has its own little nitch but the original is the strong baseline of all. Cellar ads a dimension that makes it more unique than the others due to the whiskey infused baccy. Get a tin of cellar if your an English or Balkan smoker looking for a mild sweet change of pace. Yes it has an aromatic type sweetness to it but if you need something lighter and sweeter containing the quality Latakia you crave ever so dearly this indeed will satisfy the piper. I can't say if I'd order cellar again but I'll know once I run out! The original on the other hand is a spectacular fragrant blend that is a must try in my book.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Even as a Latakia-phobe, I have to admit that I enjoyed FMC. It will never be a regular smoke for me, but it's a great crossover blend.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Thanks for the review. I actually didn't like OTT. I have been told the the Cellar is slightly sweeter, which I would prefer. I may give it a try.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
Yes its very interesting how flavours are so different for everyone.I Myself have always preferred the Cellar. I

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
After my earlier post, I did open the tin of Frog Morton Cellar given to me by a Forums member. It had been unopened for about two years and probably had some aging time before that. My experience with this blend was far better than I expected, though I didn't think it would be negative. It smoked evenly and without many relights right out of the tin, though it was still somewhat moist, and stays moist after opening. I found the rectangular block of whiskey barrel cask a pleasing wrinkle, especially when I found how well integrated the aromatic flavor was with the quality tobacco, which makes for a mild but impressively flavorful smoke. I'm about 3/4 my way through this large tin, and have steadily gone back to FMC, finding it pleasing every time. It's smoked well in every pipe, and especially well in larger broad bowled pipes that give it full range. I know not everyone enjoys FMC, and many don't enjoy it as much as I have, but it is a popular blend, and I would certainly order it after this good experience.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I got a tin of FMC on the recommendation of a friend. I like it! Mine is a bit moist, but it will dry...

kodos44

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2012
Have a tin waiting to be opened. Always interesting to hear reviews on tobaccos i've tried/am about to try. I picked this up because I enjoy blends that are light in the latakia and heavy on the 'ginny. Hoping to enjoy this when i get around to it, lol.

justdafacts

Lurker
Oct 31, 2017
I am fairly new to the pipe experience, but in the last several months, I have been trying a number of tobaccos and figuring out what I like and dislike. This one, Frog Morton Cellar was recommended to me by a fellow pipe smoker with much more experience. I immediately enjoyed it. Maybe this is just the novice pipe smoker here, but, when I bought and smoked Frog Morton On the Town, it was almost the exact same taste to me. There were some subtle difference, but so subtle that if it were a blind taste test, I would have had problems separating the two. So therefore, I found both to be winners. The next tobacco that I have found to be similar to my taste to these two was Old Dog. Old Dog was just a little less sweet tasting, but smokes very well in my pipes and has the same hint of taste to me as the FMC and FMOTT.
Justdafacts

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I just read the thread again and must comment.
I like cellar. I just finished another bowl. But, then again, I am drinking rum and cream soda too. I like cream soda. Better for you than dark colas. 8O

derekflint

Nov 23, 2017
Cracked open a tin couple days ago. Have had about six bowls so far. Very artificial looking and tasting.In a blind taste test I would not even know for sure if it was in fact tobacco at all. Wondering what all the rave reviews on TR are about. A very odd blend for sure.......Was expecting much more .......Would definitely NOT buy this again!!

derekflint

Nov 23, 2017
OH...I tried mixing with it with a few other blends...dreadful !! Absolutely Dreadful !!

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
OH...I tried mixing with it with a few other blends...dreadful !! Absolutely Dreadful !!

Do you like aromatics, and do you like latakia? If no to either, it's probably just not up your alley. A lot of guys who don't smoke aros like to deny that FM is one, but it certainly is.

Status
Not open for further replies.