SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
My maternal Grandmother passed...well, too long that I care to recall but I think of her often, weekly at least and still get a tear in my eye. Getting to the point, since she died I have rarely eaten perogies which she made en masse (they freeze very well). When I was young and she was still living I certainly took her cooking for granted although I also know she knew I appreciated it. Anyways, I just can't seem to get myself to eat perogies despite Polish places nearby which I know make good ones. The real shame is that I didn't pay more attention to her making them although I was often the one who fetched the piece of Formica in her garage which she rolled them out on. Anyone else care to share something similar?

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
. When I was young and she was still living I certainly took her cooking for granted
This is the real tragedy.

When my son was born I decided that I wanted to learn how to make my mother's pasta sauce. I didn't want the recipe - I wanted her to show me how to make it. I took one morning and went over to my parents and made a lasagna, with my infant son in tow.

Now I can make a lasagna almost as good as hers, and I have some great memories of that day when she passes away one day.

Jan 27, 2020
This is the real tragedy.

When my son was born I decided that I wanted to learn how to make my mother's pasta sauce. I didn't want the recipe - I wanted her to show me how to make it. I took one morning and went over to my parents and made a lasagna, with my infant son in tow.

Now I can make a lasagna almost as good as hers, and I have some great memories of that day when she passes away one day.

It's one of the many many mistakes of youth that only time can teach...

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I was the same way when I was a kid. I definitely took my grandmother and her cooking for granted. Whats funny is my friends never took her cooking for granted and would all come over or visit her because they knew they would get fed the best food. I can’t bring myself to eat Italian food from restaurants now. I tried for years and used to go to little Italy in baltimore to see if something would come close but nothing did. She had it down to an science. Everything she made tasted amazing. Haven’t had a decent cannoli or sauce in years. Feel like the last scene in Goodfellas sometimes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My mother could make anything my grandmother could make. My maternal grandparents were bakers and my mother worked in the bakery. The foods my grandmother made were available to me long after her death. And after my mother become too old to cook I made them for awhile but stopped after my father passed away. I can make many of the same dishes, though I haven't done so for ages.

Among the currently moribund foods are Pirogi, blintzes, kreplach, kishke, knishes, borscht, gefilte fish, kugels, and a smattering of other middle European and Jewish foods.

Great food if you are doing a lot of heavy manual labor, but death on a plate for the modern day city dweller.

Jan 27, 2020
Among the currently moribund foods are Pirogi, blintzes, kreplach, kishke, knishes, borscht, gefilte fish, kugels, and a smattering of other middle European and Jewish foods.

Great food if you are doing a lot of heavy manual labor, but death on a plate for the modern day city dweller.

I certainly wouldn't call pirogis death on a plate. Carb heavy maybe but not necessarily high in cholesterol or saturated fat depending on the filling (my Grandmother's were always potato and a scant amount of cheese)- and perhaps if you pan try them in lard or such and even if you do they don't really absorb much fat.

Reactions: JOHN72
Jan 27, 2020
White cream gravy made from the drippings from pan-fried chicken, and spiced with black pepper and salt. I was never particularly crazy about my grandmother's fried chicken, but her gravy...WOW, now that was good! I could (and oten did) make a meal out of just that.

Is that what some refer to as "saw mill gravy" such as the flavorless version Cracker Barrel churns out?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Is that what some refer to as "saw mill gravy" such as the flavorless version Cracker Barrel churns out?

Yes, it is, although Cracker Barrel's is sawmill gravy in name only.

While he was still living, Bob Evans (the founder of Bob Evans Restaurants) served up a darker gravy that was simply delicious with their biscuits. Apparently, when he died, he took the recipe with him, as their gravy is now dreck.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
My grandmother taught my mother to cook. My mother, a professional chef, throws out all she's learned about fine dining to make my favorite southern dishes the way my grandma made em. Luckily my wife, who cooks for me daily, has also learned the art of both fine dining and southern cooking. I'm a lucky (and well fed) man.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Both my grandmothers were 25 years gone by the time I was born. My mom, though…I’m just glad that I have her recipe box.
My mother gave her mom's recipe box to my wife. Along with cook books that have been edited and highlighted, and mason jars full of seeds she's saved over the years.
I've wondered how common it was for these things to get passed on.
20230917_203233.jpg

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
My grandmother on father's side passed away way before I was born. My maternal grandmother didn't cook much. She had her maids. My oldest aunt on father's side did cook amazing stuff. And so does my mother. Always enjoyed their cooking.

Reactions: JOHN72

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I certainly wouldn't call pirogis death on a plate. Carb heavy maybe but not necessarily high in cholesterol or saturated fat depending on the filling (my Grandmother's were always potato and a scant amount of cheese)- and perhaps if you pan try them in lard or such and even if you do they don't really absorb much fat.
Not pirogi, perhaps, but the rest of that stuff? Death on a plate, especially kishke, which is Jewish haggis, or knishes, which if not done correctly can be fired out of cannons to demolish castle walls. I made pirogi with potatoes, sometimes with sauteed mushrooms, onions and a little garlic mixed with a little sour cream, or sometimes other ingredients. When I was in college I would make trays of them to bring to concert after parties. People would devour them like they were the last meal they would ever get.

For people in NJ. At the Wildwoods Boardwalk there is a shop which sells fantastic Pierogies. After a frolic at the beach and a long walk at the boardwalk they taste out of the world.

Edit : I went to their website and looks like they now have 4 stores and planning to open a fifth

Last edited: