PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I usually smoke plug or twist but recently I been smoking the odd flake tobacco and if I had to choose I would certainly go with St Bruno flake.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I like St Bruno in both the Flake and the RR. The RR seems to have a bit more topping, and for me, both benefit from some drying time, which I find intensifies the flavors. Fold and stuff doesn't work for me because of the lack of drying time and the subsequent the loss of flavor.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Flakes are interesting. I am still learning to smoke them. Haven’t had too much luck with fold and stuff, preferring to rub them out most of the time. The best smokes I have had is after plenty of drying time first. So if travelling I usually take a ribbon or ready rubbed blend with me.
Erinmore Flake has a nice flavour. I see it as more of an aromatic.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I find that the flake is better, the tobacco has longer to marry and the top dressing sets in better, in my opinion. I also prefer a plug when there is an option. I guess the longer everything is pressed together the better for me.

pipesmoker30

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2019
South East (England)
I'm still yet to try plug, I prefer flake, fold and stuff. I like to try RR for a new tobacco I'm trying as RR is usually cheaper and if I like it then next time I get the flake version.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I really enjoy St. Bruno Flake, Erinmore Flake, Bothy Flake and Bob's Chocolate Flake. I rub them all out. I just can't get a handle on the fold and stuff.

pipesmoker30

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2019
South East (England)
I have been converted and now only buy at Bruno flake, I use both fold and stuff or rubbed depending on how I feel, IV just finished a pouch of seven seas original which to our USA fellow friends is captain black that was ready rubbed only because I can't find a flake version. Do they do a flake version of captain black does anyone know? Captain black royal was the first pipe tobacco I ever tried and was instantly hooked, nice aroma and after taste. I have tried a few black cherry pipe tobaccos but didn't really get on with those, the aroma was nice but the taste wasn't. I know stick to st Bruno, captain black, seven seas and Erinmore.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Ok so what about MacBaren old dark fired? I enjoy the flake once and a while, but have been looking into the ready rubbed. I always just rub my flakes out anyways. Do the two cuts taste the same?
If they taste different than I'll just stick to what I like. Just curious.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ok so what about MacBaren old dark fired? I enjoy the flake once and a while, but have been looking into the ready rubbed. I always just rub my flakes out anyways. Do the two cuts taste the same?
If they taste different than I'll just stick to what I like. Just curious.
Other than burning faster, I never noticed a difference.

Reactions: didimauw
Status
Not open for further replies.