PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipesmoker30

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2019
South East (England)
Wow this interesting, I'm a complete virgin with pipe tobaccos, seems I need to do alot of research. I enjoy st Bruno, I don't mind clan, I enjoy captain black original (currently smoking) and captain black royal. Wasn't keen on the dark, I don't like gold block. I have tried a few flavoured ones like cherry but not overly impressed. My go to ones are captain black and st Bruno. I am yet to try seven seas. Another one was recommended to me and that's Erinmore which im still yet to try.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Flake/coin/plug/rope keep better longer, and perhaps the constituent ingredients meld a little better. They require more effort and time to prep, but for some, the ritual increases the anticipatiion and enjoyment. However, loose tobacco of all and various cuts is easier to use, and easy is often a very good thing. I have enjoyed all of the above. I don't feel it is a big step down to pack loose tobacco.

Mar 29, 2016
I was answering to the query " Flake Vs ready rubbed. "
I find the plug better than the flake as the flavors meld even more.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I fold and stuff and occasionally cube cut it, but never rub out a flake anymore. The tobacco tends to smoke longer in flake or coin. Also I get more flavor whole than when I rub it out, which to me is counter-intuitive, seeing as how you have more surface area going, but the tobacco always seems watered down if rubbed.

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Think it would be a good starter pipesmoker30, nothing not to like about it and the flakes are uniform and easy to use either broken down or left whole.

Erinmore is one of my favorites, especially in the summer. It will have an off-putting tin aroma, but that does not translate into the taste of the smoke. It has a very fruity-like flavor. I compare it to Juicy Fruit Chewing gum. But, it is a very balanced flavor with the tobacco, IMO.
But, I hate the ready rubbed version of Erinmore . It has a different flavor profile, for some strange reason.
I generally prefer the flake versions, even if I rub them out myself. They seem to age better, and have better flavor. The ready rubbed versions of the ones that I have tried just seem to lack complexity... or, the topping/casing just doesn't shine through as well. The Vanilla Flake verses the ready rubbed Vanilla Flake are like two totally different blends, IMO.
Whether I cube cut, rub it out, wad it, or fold and stuff, the flake versions just give you more options, along with better aging characteristics, and overall flavor. YMMV But, some really like the ready rubbed versions, so it's all a matter of opinion.

Reactions: ofafeather

pipesmoker30

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2019
South East (England)
Just took the plunge and got st Bruno flake, fold, fold and stuff method, so far I prefer it to the ready rubbed. Easier to pack, cooler smoke, stronger taste and aroma. I have also got coming in the post Erinmore mixture, is there much difference to the 2? I got that one because they offer it in a 25g pouch so wanted to try it before forking out for 50g tin, I also got seven seas original coming with the Erinmore aswell. I have tried the captain black original and liked that so hopefully I will like the sevenseas version aswell :D

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Erinmore Flake is a great one, whereas in all probability them RR version must be whole different tobacco under the same brand- as for the flake tobacco goes,I prefer fold&stuff especially with my pipes with narrow chambers nonetheless must admit,I have often a hard time to keep them lit when folded, Personally, I prefer St Bruno RR over the flake since I find taste being more intense,

Reactions: ofafeather

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
I'll gladly pay $5 more to get the flake version of something and then when I smoke it, 9 times out of 10 I'll rub it out because I guess I'm an insane person.
Even as a rub it out guy I know you ready rubbed people are heathens.

pipesmoker30

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2019
South East (England)
Ah now having tried both st Bruno's I prefer the flake, I will buy the flake again, probably won't buy the RR again. Is there much/any difference between Erinmore and Erinmore mixture? IV got the mixture one to try and if I like it go for the flake Erinmore. The Erinmore mixture and seven seas arrived today so gonna be trying the Erinmore mixture tonight. Once IV used either the Erinmore or the st Bruno I will try the seven seas.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Erinmore Flake is one of my top dogs as well but it is different than Erinmore Mixture. Whereas St. Bruno RR is just the Flake slightly rubbed out (for $4 cheaper a pouch), Erinmore Mixture is an entirely different blend than Erinmore Flake, confusing I know. I’m pretty sure it also contains black Cavendish where Erinmore Flake is just Burley and VA. See Cosmics post above.
Personally, I prefer St Bruno RR over the flake since I find taste being more intense,

paul, I totally agree with you on this.

pipesmoker30

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2019
South East (England)
Ok that's interesting to know, you have both said they taste different ie nothing alike lol. I will say the only one I have really hated to the point where I've thrown it away is gold block that's so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.