PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Filtered pipes are very popular in Germany and Northern Europe. Not so popular in Spain and Italy. France is full of those annoying metal ones you can yank out.

Reactions: Tyke Piper

Tyke Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2023
The Shire of York, England
Appreciated Hillcrest 👍🏻

But I'm scuppered! I see it would cost €10 (euros) postage for a €0.97 adapter 🤯
Addendum:

Repeating my online search, but expanding the search terms, after the last 30 mins I finally managed to track down a 9mm-3mm adapter from The Pipe Shop in Edinburgh. Fairly priced & postage was reasonable.

Definitely interested in seeing, if any, the difference it could make 🧐

H

HRPufnstuf

I smoke filtered pipes, both 6 and 9mm, with or without a filter. If you try a pipe both ways, filtered and filterless, in one or two smokes you adapt, the adaptor becomes redundant ... just another thing to clean around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hutch Piper

(Hutch1904)
Mar 12, 2022
Charlotte, NC
Depends on the blend for me. Heavy Aromatics and Virginias require a filter for me or else I will suffer from tongue bite. Burley blends do not bite me. Some VaBurs do and others don’t.

I do not prefer the adapter on Savinelli’s. I either use a filter (depending on the blend) or smoke it wide open.

FWIW I do not notice much, if any, difference in taste between using a filter or not. Filters can impact the draw which can heat the pipe up if you puff too hard and too fast. But they do prevent tongue bite for me.

Bottom line is I believe it is all a matter of personal preference. Trial and error. Do what works for you. This is a hobby and is meant to be enjoyable. Find what brings you the most joy.

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I too just toss any adapter and smoke filter pipes wide open. I learned on a MM cobs that have a pretty open draw so that's what I'm used to. But some might prefer the adapter if what they're used to is a more restricted draw. Sometimes I do go on a kick and actually rummage through my pipe stuff and dig out some filters, but I haven't done so in awhile. I have always found that charcoal filters do subtly change the smoke, more texture than taste. I do much prefer unfiltered 'full bodied' taste.

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
If you don't use a filter, the draw could be much more open. It's up to you whether that's a good thing or not. Moisture and gunk could build up in the mortise, space that was being filled by the filter is open creating a place for it to build up. But that's all I can think of. I don't use filters on any pipe personally. Try a few smokes for yourself and see what you think.
Great call out on the buildup of gunk - early on I noticed my pipes that accommodated a filter stayed a bit nasty after running a pipe cleaner through it unlike my other pipes. Now I know better and just use a small cylindrical brush to clean out those larger bore sections meant to house the filter

Lucashly

Can't Leave
Jun 21, 2023
California
In general I don’t use filters because they impede the draw. I have a few pipes that work with charcoal filters and I slap one in. What do they really do? Hell if I know. There are so many divergent opinions.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
As said, I like charcol filters on a lot os smokes but not all. One thing I have noticed. People say you can use them two or three times. Ive found they don’t dry out in a pipe.

When Im done and the pipe cools I remove the filter and set it aside. It dries and before I use it again I give it a gentle squeeze…very gentle. This loosens the packaging which has stuck together from the first smoke. Otherwise the draw is tighter on the second smoke. Generally I aim for only two smokes with a filter.

Do some people do more smokes with a filter intentionally?

Tyke Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2023
On the few occasions I used a 9mm charcoal filter, I got three smokes before I felt it was too gunked-up to use again. I'd probably err on the side of caution now, like yourself, probably only use it a couple of times now...we're I to use one again, that is.

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
Good afternoon gents

I do apologise in advance if I'm repeating a Q previously covered, but my forum search didn't reveal anything that really answered my question...

...well, I've been thinking over the past couple of days about filter pipes & my own in particular. I have a few Savinelli 6mm pipes & a Peterson 9mm pipe.

My question really covers a few things, so first things first: my Savinellis come with a charcoal filter, balsar filter & the black 6mm adapter (which you seasoned vets obviously know :)). It's 'recommended' that if you don't use the filter(s) to use the adapter...which I have done several times. This is the basis of my Q that combines with the above.

If I smoke either my 9mm Peterson or 6mm Savinellis without filter and/or (as in the case of the Savinellis) the adapter, what are the likely advantages/disadvantages that I'm going to run into? Is it OK to actually smoke my Peterson 'open' (with no filter) or am I likely to cause myself some issues? Should I use the adapter in the Savinellis to ensure a better smoke or won't it make any perceivable difference? Is it just preference or are there some objective pitfalls to leaving out adapter/filter?

Thanks in advance guys 👍🏻
I'm sort of coming out the other side of this conundrum. It seems like more proficient smokers kind of just drive their pipes with the pack and tamping. You don't add or subtract anything to a different hammer, you just adjust your swing. Maybe.

jediofthecode

Lurker
Jan 4, 2023
France
When i first started I always used the balsa filter with my savs, but as I got more used to smoking and "better" at it I switched over to the adapter. I find it has the perfect draw and I don't have to deal with swapping filter, makes cleaning easier, and saves a few €. It's really preference though, I dont find the wood balsa filters change the taste at all, just helps with moisture.

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
As said, I like charcol filters on a lot os smokes but not all. One thing I have noticed. People say you can use them two or three times. Ive found they don’t dry out in a pipe.

When Im done and the pipe cools I remove the filter and set it aside. It dries and before I use it again I give it a gentle squeeze…very gentle. This loosens the packaging which has stuck together from the first smoke. Otherwise the draw is tighter on the second smoke. Generally I aim for only two smokes with a filter.

I definitely pull them out to dry, seems like it's not great for the briar otherwise. I get 2 smokes out of the charcoal ones, sometimes. Usually I just toss it though, especially if I've been driving or something involving a lot of clenching. However, The White Elephant meerschaum 6 mils and especially the 9mm 'supermix' ones, I can definitely get 2 or 3 smokes out of and they don't taste gross or anything. I use the filter mostly because I feel like I should, after 25 years of cigs and other variously debauched pursuits. And, I have noticed in the interim that I prefer a tighter draw, which I recognize can be achieved with packing. I certainly still over-pack the living hell out a few bowls a week. I do own a couple non-filtered or "normal" pipes now and am smoking them more and more.

Last edited:

aztecbull

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2023
When i first started I always used the balsa filter with my savs, but as I got more used to smoking and "better" at it I switched over to the adapter. I find it has the perfect draw and I don't have to deal with swapping filter, makes cleaning easier, and saves a few €. It's really preference though, I dont find the wood balsa filters change the taste at all, just helps with moisture.

Same here, I like using balsa filter on my 6mm Sav. Very little to no taste change IMHO.

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
Besides bearing some possible health benefits, one wonders if the filter industry isn't the result of a couple modern generations of us fatherless(tradition wise) wretches having to teach ourselves to smoke later in life instead of smoothly transitioning into it under the watchful eye of an older pipe man. "oi paddy, put that hammer down and let me shew ye how to loight that thing ye daft bastard." I imagine, fondly...

Last edited:
Reactions: yanoJL

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
I usually don't buy filtered pipes however some that I have and really like are only available in filter.
My experience with the adapter is that it prevents some of the buildup
In the shank which makes for an easier cleaning. The downside is that I hate that a pipe cleaner wont pass without disassembly.
Figure out what your willing to compromise with either cleaning or airflow. You can smoke commando without a filter or adapter but be prepared for a little extra work on the cleaning side.

Tyke Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2023
Yeah, using a balsar filter for the first time last week, it did increase the draw & soaked up plenty of moisture - in fact, I had to bin it immediately as the entire filter really was wet :(

However, it did spoil my smoke as, amongst other things, I was having to relight alot. Not certain this was directly related to the filter but I'd not had this issue before...certainly not as bad as when using the balsar filter.

I'm gonna retry another balsar filter soon and see if I can improve the smoke without the previous frustrations.

Also managed to source a 9mm-3mm adapter which, again, I'll try soon and see what difference, if any, it brings.

Thanks for the continued input gentlemen, it's informative & appreciated puffy

Reactions: obc83 and PaulRVA

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
On the few occasions I've smoked a 9mm pipe with no filter or adaptor, I found the draw too damn big, and the tobacco would over heat too much, made worse by the fact I draw a bit too hard at the best of times. I do have an adapter, but have never used it as I find the filter works quite well with a lot of the pipes and tobaccos I smoke.

My only advice of smoking a gaping 9mm without anything in there would be to watch out for tongue bite. Cleaning the adapter might be a pain, but how much of a pain is taking tacking it out and running it under water for a few seconds?