PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Tyke Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2023
The Shire of York, England
Good afternoon gents

I do apologise in advance if I'm repeating a Q previously covered, but my forum search didn't reveal anything that really answered my question...

...well, I've been thinking over the past couple of days about filter pipes & my own in particular. I have a few Savinelli 6mm pipes & a Peterson 9mm pipe.

My question really covers a few things, so first things first: my Savinellis come with a charcoal filter, balsar filter & the black 6mm adapter (which you seasoned vets obviously know :)). It's 'recommended' that if you don't use the filter(s) to use the adapter...which I have done several times. This is the basis of my Q that combines with the above.

If I smoke either my 9mm Peterson or 6mm Savinellis without filter and/or (as in the case of the Savinellis) the adapter, what are the likely advantages/disadvantages that I'm going to run into? Is it OK to actually smoke my Peterson 'open' (with no filter) or am I likely to cause myself some issues? Should I use the adapter in the Savinellis to ensure a better smoke or won't it make any perceivable difference? Is it just preference or are there some objective pitfalls to leaving out adapter/filter?

Thanks in advance guys 👍🏻

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If I smoke either my 9mm Peterson or 6mm Savinellis without filter and/or (as in the case of the Savinellis) the adapter, what are the likely advantages/disadvantages that I'm going to run into?
None

You may have to adjust the tightness of the tobacco to make up for the more open draw but they smoke fine without filters and adapters.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
If you don't use a filter, the draw could be much more open. It's up to you whether that's a good thing or not. Moisture and gunk could build up in the mortise, space that was being filled by the filter is open creating a place for it to build up. But that's all I can think of. I don't use filters on any pipe personally. Try a few smokes for yourself and see what you think.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
FWIW, older Peterson system standards had a graduated bore in the bit, it started at 8mm at the tenon and reduced to somewhere around 1.5mm at the P-Lip. They were not filter pipes, they just had a huge bore at the tenon and this was how they were designed. Filter adapters can actually create more places for gunk to accumulate, i.e. between the adapter OD and the tenon bore ID.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
My Dunhill bent Rhodesian has a 6.0mm hole. As most guys here have stated, packing is key. It smokes great. All I would say is that during the first light, when I stop drawing on the pipe, the flame is extinguished, by "back draft" I guess. But not an issue, raise the flame away from the bowl... puffy

Reactions: Tyke Piper
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
No filter or adaptor necessary. Adaptors add increased edges and irregularities compared to an unfiltered stem. Increased turbulence in a filtered pipe without a filter will increase turbulence and moisture build up, but not a big problem. While we could discuss and argue all day, and we have, the effect is minimal.

Smoke away my friend!

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I have two filter pipes that I don't use a filter. I don't use an adapter, just some Kentucky windage with the packing, tamping and draw.

I actually kind of hate the adapters for filter pipes. Just further complicates the extra cleaning step of having to wipe out the mortise and tenon. The adapter doesn't prevent any less gunk in that cavity. And those balsa and other dry things that don't filter as much as a charcoal/paper/etc filter might make the smoke a little drier, but they make just as much wet and mess in the filter cavity.

That's the main bugger for me, the extra cleaning. To me, they don't really smoke that much differently than my non filter pipes (I have a Sav that's 6mm and a Lorenzetti that's 9mm).

Being I don't use a filter, I prefer non-filter pipes, but sometimes you like a pipe and it only is available in a filter option.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I enjoy 9mm filters with some tobacco. There are a few that it alters the taste too much. One recent experiment told me that gl pease triple play does not play well with filters. The flavors are too subtle. I yanked out the filter and it was much better. So just experiment. Most the time if the pipe accepts a charcoal filter I use it and enjoy a cool dry smoke.

Tyke Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2023
There's some great info here, especially from Embers, Rustie, Rookie, Doc & Kyle...but thank you ALL for taking the time to offer your input 🙏

I'm not anti-filter myself per se...I'm sure they can be of benefit in some circumstances (easing tongue bit recovery etc.), but as Kyle says, sometimes a good bargain of a pipe is only available in a filtered option. In fact, my newest purchase was 20% cheaper with filter than without :oops: (I don't intend on using the filter, but it's good to know it won't really affect my smoking without it puffy).

Feel free to add any others advice, tips or anecdotes,

Cheers gents 😎

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Good afternoon gents

I do apologise in advance if I'm repeating a Q previously covered, but my forum search didn't reveal anything that really answered my question...

...well, I've been thinking over the past couple of days about filter pipes & my own in particular. I have a few Savinelli 6mm pipes & a Peterson 9mm pipe.

My question really covers a few things, so first things first: my Savinellis come with a charcoal filter, balsar filter & the black 6mm adapter (which you seasoned vets obviously know :)). It's 'recommended' that if you don't use the filter(s) to use the adapter...which I have done several times. This is the basis of my Q that combines with the above.

If I smoke either my 9mm Peterson or 6mm Savinellis without filter and/or (as in the case of the Savinellis) the adapter, what are the likely advantages/disadvantages that I'm going to run into? Is it OK to actually smoke my Peterson 'open' (with no filter) or am I likely to cause myself some issues? Should I use the adapter in the Savinellis to ensure a better smoke or won't it make any perceivable difference? Is it just preference or are there some objective pitfalls to leaving out adapter/filter?

Thanks in advance guys 👍🏻
It only matters if you inhale into lungs and are concerned about health. The Balsa filters filter about 77% of tar and nicotine from smoke; the charcoal about 91%. You can buy an adapter to use in place of filter that reduces the draft from 6 or 9mm to 3 mm draft if you prefer a smaller draft or simply use without.
Having tried filters, I now prefer them ... for now. YMMV and that's perfectly fine.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
I have two filter pipes that I don't use a filter. I don't use an adapter, just some Kentucky windage with the packing, tamping and draw.

I actually kind of hate the adapters for filter pipes. Just further complicates the extra cleaning step of having to wipe out the mortise and tenon. The adapter doesn't prevent any less gunk in that cavity. And those balsa and other dry things that don't filter as much as a charcoal/paper/etc filter might make the smoke a little drier, but they make just as much wet and mess in the filter cavity.

That's the main bugger for me, the extra cleaning. To me, they don't really smoke that much differently than my non filter pipes (I have a Sav that's 6mm and a Lorenzetti that's 9mm).

Being I don't use a filter, I prefer non-filter pipes, but sometimes you like a pipe and it only is available in a filter option.

Yes, adapters need extra cleaning, and make no difference compared to smoking without.

But you can easily come to smoke with filter, I bet you can get more filtered pipes in EU than unfiltered.

Reactions: Tyke Piper

Tyke Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2023
It only matters if you inhale into lungs and are concerned about health. The Balsa filters filter about 77% of tar and nicotine from smoke; the charcoal about 91%. You can buy an adapter to use in place of filter that reduces the draft from 6 or 9mm to 3 mm draft if you prefer a smaller draft or simply use without.
Having tried filters, I now prefer them ... for now. YMMV and that's perfectly fine.
Thanks Hillcrest,

TBF my primary Q concerned the advantages/disadvantages of smoking a filtered pipe with no filter/adapter & of course, I've had some informative replies to that end 👍🏻

Nevertheless, I'd be interested to learn where an adapter for a 9mm pipe to reduce to a 3mm draft could be obtained. My searching (here in the UK) has proved fruitless.

And yeah, I used a 6mm balsar filter for the first time on Tuesday this week. I wasn't impressed. Pretty much spoilt everything about the smoke. I'll definitely try again though. My use of 9mm charcoal filters was much better but in comparison to smoking filterless, it's not something I think I'd choose to do regularly.

puffy

Reactions: Hillcrest

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Thanks Hillcrest,

TBF my primary Q concerned the advantages/disadvantages of smoking a filtered pipe with no filter/adapter & of course, I've had some informative replies to that end 👍🏻

Nevertheless, I'd be interested to learn where an adapter for a 9mm pipe to reduce to a 3mm draft could be obtained. My searching (here in the UK) has proved fruitless.

And yeah, I used a 6mm balsar filter for the first time on Tuesday this week. I wasn't impressed. Pretty much spoilt everything about the smoke. I'll definitely try again though. My use of 9mm charcoal filters was much better but in comparison to smoking filterless, it's not something I think I'd choose to do regularly.

puffy
Site Sponsors:

Tyke Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2023
Site Sponsors:

Appreciated Hillcrest 👍🏻

But I'm scuppered! I see it would cost €10 (euros) postage for a €0.97 adapter 🤯

• Wow
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123