PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Started the day with P.A. Moved to a 2yr old jar of McClelland's 2015, a Vaper made with orange and red Va's. Starts out tart with a citrus-like tang that never really fades, but is joined at mid-bowl by the darkly-sweet reds. Not terribly sweet, just a hint of Va. sweet. Faint Perique tingle high up in the nose or lower sinuses. Nice smoke, good volume, smooth all the way down. The only knock is that the flavor disappears totally as I reach the heel. Well, by that time the shows over anyway, so I guess it's not too hard to take. Better in a big, wide bowl.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
P.S. Luxury Bullseye Flake in a Meerschaum Calabash. The coins of good mental health.

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
Paladin in my new Dr Grabow Omega.

Dunendain, I saw this pipe at Rite Aid when I was at lunch yesterday and after reading how much you enjoyed yours I decided to get it. I love it!

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I am glad I helped you with that. You will not be sorry. Best bargain in all Pipedom in my opinion. I love mine. Purchased in 04', and I smokes great.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
Yesterday evening - H&H LA Red and Sunza Bitches in a Meerschaum Lined Italian full bent. Sunza Bitches took a couple of smokes too get get a acquainted. Heavy Perique, with a bourbon prescence that wafts in and out. The VA is a flake that is very pleasant almost reminds of a spicy oatmeal cookie - and I mean SPICY! Ordered more last night from pipesancigars.com.
If you guys are talking about Dr. Grabows - I own several - in my youth I used to spend a lot of money on pipes that were "hand carved" by Fill In Mr. Famous Pipe Carver's Name (sigh...the money I could have saved...)
Now with a lower budget to work with I have bought several Dr. G's off ebay including a beautiful Omega that I got restemmed and it is one of my favorites. It has a carved bowl and it is carved by er, uh ...Who cares! Smokes beeeauuutiful!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Charles, it's great to hear you extol the virtues of affordable pipes! I think many neophytes believe that price = performance; but as long as one avoids "chintzy" materials and bald wood, the more sensible pipes offer many years of satisfaction.
P.A. in a mid-grade Butz-Choquin 'dog.

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
Cornell and Diehl Purple Cow - A classic blend of burleys, bright Virginia ribbon, Latakia and Maduro cigar leaf.
This was my first cigar blend and it was amazing.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
Well Cortezattic what can I say?
I was young!

I was unformed!

I hung out with a fast crowd at the Local Pipe Shoppe! Who liked to brag!

Now that I am wiser I buy my pipes on ebay - sometimes they need a little cleaning up - but nock wood - so far I have great success buying pipes and having great smokers
This morning - a small bent stack (Danish - "Danet" cost me $23 on Ebay - smokes great). Enjoyed H&H Capital Stairs.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
Today I've had 2 bowl of PA both in cobs. I also had a bowl of half and half in grabow omega bent. I'm think the next bowl will be MacBarens navy flake, now the only question is what pipe to use.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I've smoked two bowls of PA in cobs. Latest bowl was half borkum whiskey mixed with a pinch of PA and topped it off with rubbed out MB navy flake. Smoked pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.