PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Dammit, bhpdrew! I was gonna say Keira Knightly, but you beat me to Beautiful Brit punch.
My desert island "English", as you put it, would have to be Black House. That said, I really like C&D's Serenity Series: Consolation which is an American "English" blend. I use quotations because I, like Bob Tate in THIS ARTICLE, try not to use the term, "English" when talking about a latakia blend. This said, I know this misnomer is quite prevalent here in the US, so I go with it for the most part.
-Jason

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Wow, tough question. Of blends currently available (and keeping in mind that "English is a pretty loose term), I've been smoking more P&W 400 than anything.
If we got into blends no longer manufactured, it would be near impossible to call - GL Pease Renaissance was stunning in it's short life, Sullivan & Powells Gentleman's Mixture Original was sublime, Bengal Slices, Dunhill MM 10, Breck's Mixture from With Pipe and Book, and on and on.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not pining for the old days, but if I could only pick one, ever, it would be a brutal choice.

sincityjeff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2011
When I smoked English it was always Maltese Falcon. I don't smoke them anymore. But, if I had only one tobacco to smoke because of Armageddon or something and Va/Pers were all gone it would be MF.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Captain Earles Ten Russians for me. If I can only smoke one English, it might as well kick my ass and satisfy my cravings every time I step up to it.
Besides, if I'm on a desert island perhaps I can finally enjoy it without people whining about the foul room-note for once. I actually had a guy with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth give me the fake-cough last time I took the Russians on the town.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
After some more thought....I'd rather be trapped on a dessert island. :mrgreen:

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Does SCTM [Shortcut to Mushrooms] fit under the "English" guidelines? If so it's got my vote. Damn Tasty.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
Sterling/1776 Tavern - no doubt about it. While not the fullest - it has incredible smoothness, complexity and balance in an English blend.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Hmm.

Well.
I'd go with Old Dublin for a grab-it-any-time-I-want-latakia blend. Penzance for those times I want a fuller smoke.

McCranie's Murdock's Pipe makes three.
And then there's Balkan blends....

:puffpipe:

octavius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2011
I am happy to see that this thread took off! :D
Maybe someone will have to make a VA, VA-PER, ARO thread...

octavius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2011
I have only begun to dive into Penzance... It is great, but I am only into my first tin, and I cannot rightly put it above my beloved FOTT. My decision might change... or not... let you know after a tin or two more.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
I could narrow my rotation down to one Va/Per, one burley, one Va, one Lakeland, one aro, one crossover, etc....But I don't know how I could narrow my English favorites down to just one!
Northwoods might end up taking the spot due to its superb smokeability... I smoke more of it than the others because it's so easy on my mouth.
On the other hand, Magnum Opus has been vying with Odyssey, my all-time favorite latakia blend, for my personal "top spot" in this category. Magnum Opus is wonderfully complex, while Odyssey (when I can get it to actually burn) might just be my favorite flavor on earth...
Maltese Falcon, Wilderness, Legends, Three Oaks Syrian, GH Balkan Mixture, and York Full Mixture are in the mix, as well.....

Status
Not open for further replies.