Experience with Vintage Dunhill Rollagas Lighters from eBay?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Theo.ry

Lurker
Aug 5, 2023
Nashville
Title edited for caps and brevity. Please read Rule 9.

Original: :How is your experience with vintage Dunhill Rollagas lighters from eBay ? Would you rather get one of them or a corona old boy?"

I’ve been thinking about splurging on a good lighter. I’ve been looking at IM corona Old boy lighters. Tonight I found myself diving deep into the abyss of eBay and following a rabbit hole of vintage Dunhill Rollagas.
- this being the first expensive lighter I am buying, what should I consider?
- Do you have any experience with Rollagas off eBay?
- Any recommended seller?( Please PM me of this is violating any rules).
- What are some things I should think about /know if I choose to buy a Dunhill lighter off eBay?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kcghost

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I did buy a used Rollagas, though not on eBay. It had been recently serviced by a reputable repair shop and it cost about 1/2 of what a new one runs. It has worked fine, however when compared to my Old Boy
  1. It is less tolerant of deposits (carbon?) around the flame tip, requiring more frequent cleaning,
  2. It's hard to adjust the flame, the adjuster will turn many times with no effect then all of a sudden it's a flame thrower
  3. You need a Dunhill-type adapter to refill the butane, Dunhill butane cans come with it, but others may not. Be sure to retain the adapter as it can be used with most other brands of butane.
For me the Old Boy just works, no fuss no muss. The Rollagas is the more intricate design which I appreciate as an Engineer, but it sees just occasional use.

With respect to eBay I'd carefully look over the seller's feedback and a return option would be a plus. If you get a clunker, I believe there are places where a Rollagas can be repaired, there are also several YouTube videos on DIY repairs, and gasket kits can be had on eBay.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
If you can buy one from David Pitts that is used and restored by him - he's the one to get it from. There are a couple others - check out the forums Vintage dunhill Rollagas Lighter Collectors | Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/237359319787811 that talk about the best kinds.

Here was my article on them:

Reactions: paulfg and Theo.ry

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I bought one for under 100 euros on ebay,it has worked well for over 2 years but does have the tendancy to become a flame thrower if you don’t keep the nozzle cleaned.
I was unlucky with my old boy and after replacing the top after I dropped it and then the valve sprang aleak requiring a new tank I threw it away

Reactions: Theo.ry

Theo.ry

Lurker
Aug 5, 2023
Nashville
I did buy a used Rollagas, though not on eBay. It had been recently serviced by a reputable repair shop and it cost about 1/2 of what a new one runs. It has worked fine, however when compared to my Old Boy
  1. It is less tolerant of deposits (carbon?) around the flame tip, requiring more frequent cleaning,
  2. It's hard to adjust the flame, the adjuster will turn many times with no effect then all of a sudden it's a flame thrower
  3. You need a Dunhill-type adapter to refill the butane, Dunhill butane cans come with it, but others may not. Be sure to retain the adapter as it can be used with most other brands of butane.
For me the Old Boy just works, no fuss no muss. The Rollagas is the more intricate design which I appreciate as an Engineer, but it sees just occasional use.

With respect to eBay I'd carefully look over the seller's feedback and a return option would be a plus. If you get a clunker, I believe there are places where a Rollagas can be repaired, there are also several YouTube videos on DIY repairs, and gasket kits can be had on eBay.
Thank you. This is what I was looking for.

Theo.ry

Lurker
Aug 5, 2023
Nashville
If you can buy one from David Pitts that is used and restored by him - he's the one to get it from. There are a couple others - check out the forums Vintage dunhill Rollagas Lighter Collectors | Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/237359319787811 that talk about the best kinds.

Here was my article on them:

Thank you for this group and great article. Quite informative

Reactions: woodsroad

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
IMG_5969.jpg

I have a half dozen or more Dunhill butane lighters. A couple Sylphide lighters and the rest are various vintages of Rollagas. The O-rings do age and need replacing, but you can do that repair yourself. The rest of the refurbishment is just cleaning, which can be done with a toothbrush and lighter fluid. Nothing feels better in the hand than a silver Rollagas.

Reactions: Theo.ry and pylorns

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Does he also have DuPont lighters?
I don’t think so but there are other dedicated Dupont lighter groups on Facebook.
On a side note, since this thread was last active ARS has Rollagas pipe burners back in stock. I bought 3 pipe burners from China to try getting eBay lighters restored and converted by Facebook guys at a fraction of what ARS charges.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
There are a lot of DuPont and Dunhill on Etsy, but be on the lookout too for fakes.

I’ve been looking for the past year at DuPonts on Etsy, there are a lot of older ones that are legit, I’ve been just looking for one that catches my eyes.

Last edited:
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I don’t think so but there are other dedicated Dupont lighter groups on Facebook.
On a side note, since this thread was last active ARS has Rollagas pipe burners back in stock. I bought 3 pipe burners from China to try getting eBay lighters restored and converted by Facebook guys at a fraction of what ARS charges.
I have done the same and have converted three of them successfully. I'd be lying if I said it was easy. The only part that's really difficult, IMO, is getting the"wick" right. It's just a tiny piece of cotton between the gas valve and the needle valve. Too much or too little creates either a very stiff adjuster, a leaky valve, or a flamethrower. The rest is actually fairly easy.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Since I bought a Rollagas, I've barely used any of my Old Boy-style lighters. I'm addicted to the quick and easy flame adjustment. I have bought three used lighters, all in near perfect condition and all at least 30 years old. They averaged around $90, iirc. Many sellers will have at least replaced the seals. If so, they'll note it in the listing.

You'll find many listings from Japan and Vietnam. They're generally fine.

Reactions: PaulRVA and Theo.ry