Expensive Pipes - To Each His Own (Continued)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I guess I'm not sure there is much difference between a couple $1000 or more pipes and the total cost (roughly) of the 20 or so pipes I already have, some of which I haven't been able to even work in yet. Probably the only extreme for me is the Rubio I bought (work of art), but at the other end I've got a few very early 20th century estates that didn't cost me much at all that I like just as much that were "junk" until someone restored them.

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
I see ads for those upper tier products in the New York TImes all the time.

If you know people like salty snacks, you make salty snacks. Marketing just lets you know who makes them. It is like "try our salty snacks".

Markeing is not, "we make salty snack and we want to entice and force you to eat them against you will.

There was a time when factories made things no one was asking for. There are times products can help and the consumer needs to be informed.

I just recoil from the misrepresentation of marketing as based on greed and profits.
Haha - this conversation. Is still going on? ?

Advertising is not marketing. Marketing is not forcing. And public relations is neither. Take that semantics.

But, both are encouraging and do influence people. Maybe not you - but, it is true. It’s not an opinion. It’s a fact…that can be supported by billions of dollars invested in it.

Reactions: forloveoffreedom
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Haha - this conversation. Is still going on? ?

Advertising is not marketing. Marketing is not forcing. And public relations is neither. Take that semantics.

But, both are encouraging and do influence people. Maybe not you - but, it is true. It’s not an opinion. It’s a fact…that can be supported by billions of dollars invested in it.
Not suggesting there is no influence.

Lets say I am interested in a water resistant watch and I like the looks of a diver type. I do some research and find Casio makes one that 200 meter rated and $45. I click buy it now.

Casio is making a product I have been wanting all along. Did their ad on Amazon influence me to buy or just give me what I wanted? Had Rolex posted one for $6K, I would not have clicked buy it now...LOL!!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Beats Studio Buds. I know, I have an iPhone - but apple accepts good after market parts from better sound producing products. Just saying. You might get more expensive - but $280 is about the realistic work it price cap. You have some Sony and Bose that are simply remarkable…but dollar for dollar - you’re going to be hard pressed to “beat” the Beats. How they fit your ear - well…I don’t think apple thought much past corded pieces. Get the others - they stay in your ear - even when active. And if you have big ears… you can get big ear adapters. Apple might have “AirPods” but other companies sell “better pods”.

I learned from Adam that apples end in well… you know.
Apple owns Beats. Generally heavy on the bass.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
This is a fun read!

I realize I'm late to the party... I've been out of touch for a bit, but it appears to me that the price of pipes, be it estate or new have almost doubled over the last 10 years. Or am I just looking at the wrong pipes?

I do have a problem with every time I look for something I really like, inevitably it usually turns out to be the most expensive... I hate that about me because I am not currently wealthy...

However, since I do see the price of pipes going up and up, I've forced myself to look at the lower end, telling said self.. "it's all about how it smokes, not how it looks" :)

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
Not suggesting there is no influence.

Lets say I am interested in a water resistant watch and I like the looks of a diver type. I do some research and find Casio makes one that 200 meter rated and $45. I click buy it now.

Casio is making a product I have been wanting all along. Did their ad on Amazon influence me to buy or just give me what I wanted? Had Rolex posted one for $6K, I would not have clicked buy it now...LOL!!
Ok - that’s just being extreme with the conversation. Let’s not forget what’s relative to an audience. Of course someone in the market for a $45 watch isn’t going to buy a $6,000 watch due to an add.

That only influences dreams out of reach. Budget matters - income matters. So, don’t forget the demographics attached to the conversation. You can’t make a baseless generalization that influence doesn’t make people “click” to purchase. But, you do have to apply a variety of other factors - which, marketing is coincidentally very good at. Especially in the digital age where they can really hone in and best define their consumer base.

Anyway - haha. I think we agree in the end - but, context is perhaps missing in several ways. ?‍♂️ It’s Friday… time for a mid-morning pipe while I contemplate the rest of my schedule today.

Eastmon

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2022
Vancouver, BC
With the digital asset space doing what’s its doing, not sure how anyone can really say spending thousands on a artisan pipe is crazy.
Now I’m thinking, the definition of crazy has been blurred as of the last few years.

forloveoffreedom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2013
I wonder if anyone here has smoked many dozens of bowls in several $1,000 plus pipes and can chime in. Most high end collectors I know will say that these pipes are very much worth the price of entry. On the flip side, the “I’d never pay more than $300” folks often have never even held a high end pipe. I’m not looking to foment conflict, rather high end curious.

I wonder if anyone here has smoked many dozens of bowls in several $1,000 plus pipes and can chime in. Most high end collectors I know will say that these pipes are very much worth the price of entry. On the flip side, the “I’d never pay more than $300” folks often have never even held a high end pipe. I’m not looking to foment conflict, rather high end curious.
I smoke my Beckers frequently in the summers. Two of them were over $1500. They smoke great, but not greater than most of my other pipes. Having been in this for a while, I know that price has little to do with how well it will smoke. However, you are more likely to get a great smoker in the higher range, with less of a chance of getting a bad one, and with the cheaper ones, you can still get a great smoker, but with more of a chance of getting a bad one. YMMV.
I do have a few other really high enders, but I keep them in a drawer, because I didn't buy them to smoke, but to merely have them for their artistry.

But, you can get a totally shit smoker in the high range. That is a possibility.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Ok - that’s just being extreme with the conversation. Let’s not forget what’s relative to an audience. Of course someone in the market for a $45 watch isn’t going to buy a $6,000 watch due to an add.

That only influences dreams out of reach. Budget matters - income matters. So, don’t forget the demographics attached to the conversation. You can’t make a baseless generalization that influence doesn’t make people “click” to purchase. But, you do have to apply a variety of other factors - which, marketing is coincidentally very good at. Especially in the digital age where they can really hone in and best define their consumer base.

Anyway - haha. I think we agree in the end - but, context is perhaps missing in several ways. ?‍♂️ It’s Friday… time for a mid-morning pipe while I contemplate the rest of my schedule today.
Enjoy your smoke. ?

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
Some people do it because they can, some people do it because they can talk about it, some people do it because they can show off. Some people can never do it. Some people want to. Other people don’t give a rats ass. Haha! To each his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.