PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vance

Lurker
Apr 23, 2011
Hello guys, I recently acquired an estate collection of nine pipes, I am an occasional smoker, but i think these pipes are out of my "dr. grabow"s league... since i know very little about the actual collecters points of pipes, i was wondering what you would be able to teach me? i know in the collection i got, there is one W.O. larsen, one roermond tortoise, one peterson, and one american(if im reading it right) with a star laid in the stem, the rest all say israel on them. i am new to this forum, so once i figure out how to put pictures up, i will. but i am wondering where i can find more info on these pipes, or if you guys know, it would be greatly appreciated!

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
needpics1.gif

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The pipes usually have it stamped on them what they are and what number they are. The Peterson will have on one side Peterson of Dublin and whatever type it is (like Aran or Killarney or whatever) and on the opposite side it will have what number it is like 268 if it's the Zulu shape for instance. I have heard though of companies incorrectly stamping the pipes though. So maybe posting a pic is a better idea. Bob explains it very well how to do it in one of the above posts.

viceroy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2010
Damn, I almost got my hands on a WO. But over the weekend someone bought it from my tobacconist, despite the attempt by the employee to talk him out of it. But I got a half price estate so that at least patched up the wound that was left. I must see pictures as well so I can ooo and awe at them

vance

Lurker
Apr 23, 2011
IMAGE_111.jpg

this is the W.O. larsen
IMAGE_113.jpg

this is the peterson, stamped XL315
IMAGE_114.jpg

this is the roermond w/tortoise stem, stamped 513
IMAGE_115.jpg

this one says american on the back, but the rest of the stamps are really hard to see
and heres a bad picture of the star inlaid in the stem
IMAGE_116.jpg

then the other 4 are stamped israel.
IMAGE_117.jpg

IMAGE_118.jpg

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
I have the Peterson XL315 you will have a great smoke from it. good buy if you did not have to pay too much.

vance

Lurker
Apr 23, 2011
i think im in the clear, i paid 50 bucks for the whole set. how much does the peterson run? about 150?

babarajas

Lurker
Mar 11, 2011
Nice pipes!! Prices vary, I just did a search for the peterson on yahoo and the average was around $100. as low as 89 up to 124.. on new pipes on online stores.

Still a good deal if you ask me.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Nine good looking pipes for $50. Yes, you did great! If they are made by top companies even better. The Peterson is really cool looking.
Winton

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
The one marked "American" with the inlaid star is from the American Smoking Pipe Company, which is lead by Mark Tinsky. I'd be willing to bet that this is an outstanding pipe, as Mark is a master carver.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
IMO... Mark Tinsky makes a fine pipe and you made an outstanding purchase. If the Peterson and Tinsky are both in good condition with original stems you could sell them both and more than triple your investment.
Check with Lawrence on the Tinsky, I believe he has one of Tinsky's American Calabash pipes.
Well done! :puffy:

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
WELL, from the pics, the Peterson looks unsmoked to me. The rest of the pipes look like they could be unsmoked, or nearly so. Did you do good ?

Yeah ! You did real good. I like every single pipe you posted here.

On the Roermond, I have a Roermond Micro nosewarmer, its an excellent pipe. I would expect the one you have is a good smoker.

And of course it goes without saying that the Peterson, American and W.O. Larsen should all be GREAT pipes. The Isreal pipes look like good solid smokers too.

You may have started with a Grabow, but you just stepped up into one fine collection of puffers here.

Now be sure you are smoking tobaccos that are as good as the pipes you're putting them in !

I know the members here can suggest some very fine tobaccos for you.

What are you currently smoking in your Grabows?

vance

Lurker
Apr 23, 2011
What are you currently smoking in your Grabows?
i currently have a blend from my local pipe store dubbed "dark night" its pretty good, although i dont know where it comes from, because they bag it themselves.but thanks for your help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.