PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

annapolispipes

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2012
Annapolis, MD
I tried the Escudo a couple weeks ago and love it! Very rich tobacco. Now on to Erinmore. Guy had an open tin at the Smoke Shop in Annapolis, MD today. The smell was great! Reminded me when I was a kid and I used to smell a fresh pack of cigs from my dad. I used to love the smell of his Camel's in the pack. But yeah... Escudo Navy Flake is really nice stuff. First time I smoked it I rolled it real fine and it seemed to burn really hot in the pipe. Of course maybe that's my fault but the second time I tried just barely rolling it out and packed the pipe more loose and not so fine and the smoke was a lot cooler and the pipe didn't get as hot.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
There really is nothing like Escudo--not even Dun's Navy Rolls. Having smoked tins as old as 60 years, I'll say that the blend cellars perfectly and remains true to form throughout its production history, and what you buy today is as good as what it was "way back then"--so you're better off stocking up and cellaring your own than buying vintage IMHO. Here's a link to some reviews of Escudo as well.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Escudo is simply a treasure. It has survived at least two changes in ownership and still remains one of the best in production tobaccos is the world. At $10 a tin it's like stealing. You do want to reserve a pipe just for it.
And if you have ever smoked any Cope's Escudo (the original) you will have enjoyed tobacco of the highest caliber.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
I found this thread more helpful than the tons of formal reviews I used to pore over. I was never afraid to gamble 12 bucks or so, but wanted an idea beforehand what to expect. The comparisons with other VaPers I already enjoy were especially useful.

beaterman

Lurker
Mar 5, 2012
I just love Escudo! It was actually the first pipe tobbaco I have ever smoked. I love buying it, and smoking it more.

briarbird

Can't Leave
Dec 7, 2011
I want to try escudo very badly... Maybe I need to do a handmade pipe for a tobacco trade someday...

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Just figured I would give everyone an update on how my first tin of escudo is going. The first three bowls I didnt honestly care for that much, but for each consecutive bowl I liked it more and more and more and more.
I am a bit more than half way done with the tin. The extreme spicyness I tasted the first time is gone, but not replaced, so many more flavors have come to the surface for me and it is honestly one of the best tobaccos I have yet found.
If you havent tried it yet, give it a go, you shouldnt be sorry
John

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
After that tin has been open for about a month or so, big difference. A lot more flavor and it will stay lit longer, and smoke cooler. I do not know if you have ever tried the delayed gratification deal, but this is a great blend to do so with, the next day the smoke will be sublime. My second favorite Virginia blend, and a classic by any measure.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
Just picked up a tin of Escudo. Hoping the Nording Viking from lonestar will be in this afternoon so I can try it. If Escudo is as good as I've heard and hope ( hoping it's got a lot of pepper/spice to it), I will dedicate the Viking to it. I will update later with my thoughts on it.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
For me I didnt like it too much when I first tried it, just keep going and it gets better and better

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
I have never dealt with these medallions before. Do I just ball them up and load the bowl?

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Thats pretty much what I do, but if you do that they should be let to dry out a bit. Yeah just mush them up in your hands and stuff them in.
You can also totally rub them out like a flake, I dont ever do that personally, I find it easier to mush and stuff haha

Status
Not open for further replies.