PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bersekero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2023
Greece
Thank you all for your time and priceless advice.

So the pipe arrived and it is really nice. It looks and feels pricey, no surprise here. It is like new in excellent condition inside and outside.

It has a great feeling in the hand, actually it fills the hand. The bowl is big but the pipe looks and feels just right. Is has the shape of the Savinelli 122.

As a novice I am not in the position to make reviews but I can still make some observations.

The pipe cleaner goes easily all the way to the bowl but the mouthpiece hole is small.

I filled with Nightcap nice and light with gravity and only minimal tamping at the end. I had the tobacco dried nicely and naturally before filling the pipe. Long story short I followed all the advice given here.

It has a terrific draw and smoking feeling. No gurgles at all.

I needed to relight just a fistful of times and that only because I let it go. I used plain matches.

And here comes the problem.

As a European I buy only pipes which accept filters.

This is my first filterless pipe.

The taste of the Nightcap was different but certainly better. Full of flavor and not muted. An intense smoking experience and a substantial smoke. Maybe because of the absence of a filter maybe because of the bowl shape who knows.

But it let an intense sour feeling in the mouth after each draw. Not tongue bite not leather tongue not ashtray mouth, just sour like after eating a lemon. As a result I was progressively losing the nice taste. The sourness certainly faded over time while smoking. Maybe my mouth got used to that. It was an hour’s smoke, slow and calm and I let just a little tobacco at the bottom of the bowl before quitting. Several minutes after the end of the session that strange feeling went completely away.

I cannot figure out the cause. Maybe the absence of a filter or maybe it was the chemicals they used to clean the pipe.

I will see if it goes away after several bowls.

PS. I don’t know how to upload a picture but I can post the link of the actual pipe for sale if I am allowed to do so. I bought it from the European partner site of a sponsor.

Reactions: VDL_Piper

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Pic would be great but the sour I think is coming from you puffing to frequently or hard trying to chase the flavour. Sip it and let the flavour come to you rather than you trying to draw it out, make your sips almost imperceptible.
A quick question, how long did it take you to smoke the bowl?

bersekero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2023
Greece
Maybe but i didn't experience that sour with any of my other pipes. I will try what you described though.
Like i said it took around an hour.

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Maybe but i didn't experience that sour with any of my other pipes. I will try what you described though.
Like i said it took around an hour.
Sorry missed that you said an hour but a bowl that size would take me a bit longer than that I’d say without knowing the chamber depth.
‘Don’t get disillusioned as it takes plenty of practice to get it right and you’re smoking a pretty full flavoured blend in nightcap too which might account for some of the astringency.

Reactions: UncleRasta

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Really glad you’re pleased with your purchase

If that pipe was an estate, it may be that the airways need a thorough clean.
Most of my pipes are estates and it’s surprising how many arrive looking great, but that sour taste is a giveaway of a dirty airway

Soak a pipe cleaner in a neutral spirit. I use a clear peach brandy because I love the leftover aroma.
But vodka will do. I wouldn’t use a coloured spirit eg cognac, whisky or rum.

Others advise using Everclear.

Run the alcohol soaked cleaners through the stem, shank and mortise until they come out clean

Good luck
And happy smoking
puffy

bersekero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2023
Greece
Thank you. I will try that.
I tried with dry pipe cleaners and seems like the pipe was already deeply cleaned.
Besides the seller is well known and very respected.

bersekero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2023
Greece
I have just cleaned the pipe according to the suggestion and looks like it was very well cleaned by the seller.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Chamber Depth: 38.60mm
Chamber Diameter: 23.20mm
I will try with 965 as well
Another thought: this is a pretty deep chamber, at least by my standards. If you're having trouble with off-flavors toward the end of the bowl, you might try just filling it about 2/3 full for the time being. That would help lessen moisture buildup. (Sometimes I just do that with taller pipes and tobaccos that I'm plenty familiar with, if I want a shorter smoke and don't think it will DGT well!)

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I keep reading this advice here but I always forget and rush things. So I smoke hot and have too many relights. Thank you for the kind reminder.

Pipes are meant to be sipped slowly, of course anyone can do as they wish.

One dimensional blends, compared to complex blends, can certainly be puffed away, since the taste might not vary with cadence.

But complex blends, are best sipped slowly to detect all the various notes/nuances.

Don’t worry about keeping a pipe lit. I find with complex blends, they taste better sipped a few times, then letting the pipe go out, cool down and then relight.

Think of a wine taster sipping and tasting. ;)

It’s been said, a wider chamber will yield more notes/nuances, as tobacco can breathe more. Some might notice the differences.

Lastly Briar in every pipe can be different, it is wood, so no two pieces are exactly the same, and because of the nature of Briar, shapes might be difficult to distinguish from.

pepperandjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2023
West Carpathian ToodleOoh
My writing presents content as fact, when what is true is that it is opinion.

But given this I would say that going back and forth from filtered to unfiltered is a big change to reconcile by the palate.

Also, I would always be dubious of any seller's claim that a pipe has been thoroughly cleaned, which is no longer the standard.

Reactions: OzPiper

bersekero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2023
Greece
I smoked the pipe for the second time and followed all the advice given here.
The sourness was still there but noticeable less, way less actually.
So wether i made less mistakes or the palate is been educated.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@bersekero Use a Clear Grain Spirit next time, like Everclear 151.

I’ve used 100 proof Vodka in the past, wasn’t as good as 151 proof Everclear.

Tsipouro I believe is 76 proof? 🤔

The higher the proof, the better at cleaning.

bersekero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2023
Greece
There is no Everclear in Greece but thank you anyways.
I practiced all the advice given here and I keep reading this great forum.
My technique has dramatically improved and now I experience way less sour taste or tongue bite.
Thank you guys. You are awesome!

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Calling on @Christos D. Tsatsaronis what’s the highest proof you can buy in Greece?

@bersekero I was only giving Everclear as an example. It’s best to use a High Proof alcohol free of flavors, like a grain alcohol etc...

Any flavors in the alcohol could possibly ghost the pipe.

bersekero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2023
Greece
Don't ever underestimate tsipouro :ROFLMAO:
I was ready to toss the Chacom in the fireplace. The taste was so awful. Impossible to smoke it anymore.
I cleaned it many times with tsipouro and let it rest for a couple of days.
Well, yesterday night I had the best smoke ever. Of course I was smoking (sipping) dry and very slow as well.