PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Don't ever underestimate tsipouro :ROFLMAO:
I was ready to toss the Chacom in the fireplace. The taste was so awful. Impossible to smoke it anymore.
I cleaned it many times with tsipouro and let it rest for a couple of days.
Well, yesterday night I had the best smoke ever. Of course I was smoking (sipping) dry and very slow as well.
I have found that with “dirty pipes” bowls/chambers are usually not the main problem area.
Rather is is the shanks, mortise and stems. I often spend a lot more time and effort on these areas than getting rid of chamber ghosts.

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
If I missed it my apologies but usually when I start tasting sour during a smoke I run a pipe cleaner through the stem once or twice to get rid of the moisture and that does the trick. I also run a cleaner through the pipe after I’m done. Once or twice a year I’ll deep clean my pipes and use a pipe cleaner dipped in bourbon.

Anyways good luck!

Reactions: UncleRasta

pepperandjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2023
West Carpathian ToodleOoh
If I missed it my apologies but usually when I start tasting sour during a smoke I run a pipe cleaner through the stem once or twice to get rid of the moisture and that does the trick. I also run a cleaner through the pipe after I’m done. Once or twice a year I’ll deep clean my pipes and use a pipe cleaner dipped in bourbon.

Anyways good luck!
A relentless poster on the Christian board maintains that the taste of the tobacco is overruled by the taste of the pipe, by all the deposits in the bowl, stem and shank. He advocated deep cleaning a pipe only when the deposits close the airway.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
In my experience the age and quality of the briar used has more to do with how well a pipe smokes than size or chamber shape.

I cannot imagine Dunhill releasing a really bad smoker.

After all is said and done it’s a chunk of carved wood on a hard rubber stick.

You are paying mostly for artistic shaping and beauty, and it’s worth it.

Five or ten years from now you won’t sit on a stump and cry because you bought the best pipe in the world, by reputation.

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
A relentless poster on the Christian board maintains that the taste of the tobacco is overruled by the taste of the pipe, by all the deposits in the bowl, stem and shank. He advocated deep cleaning a pipe only when the deposits close the airway.
I’m not familiar with that board and to each their own when cleaning up their pipes.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Don't ever underestimate tsipouro :ROFLMAO:

If it’s straight tsipouro that would be ok, if it’s flavored, then it could ghost.

Test with a low and high proof alcohol to clean the carbon off a lighter, as an example.The higher proof should strip away the carbon easier/faster.

Whatever you use, make sure it’s not flavored.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleRasta

bersekero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2023
Greece