PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
My old man was walleye fishing on a lake in northern Mi. with worms. He just so happened to get so many he ran out of worms, so he cut a small piece of cloth and put it on the hook. Guess what, no exaggeration, 100 walleye that week. It was definitely a rare occasion.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I had the good fortune to be the managing editor of a monthly hunting and fishing magazine for 10 years and worked it where I had free fishing trips from guides and charter captains about twice a month. The printing company closed the magazine down after a hurricane came through and wiped out 90 percent of our advertising base in 2005. Went about 8 years with only occasional fishing trips but since my oldest daughter married a charter captain, I can pretty much fish saltwater anytime I want.
Now, if I can just get him to fish for something other than redfish...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In May of 1998 I went on a fishing trip to Alaska with my ex wife and my parents.We stayed here http://www.growleybear.com/. We were fishing for king salmon. We had our own boat and captain. The limit was 7 per day and we caught limit every day(5 days). After we caught the limit on the salmon, we would go halibut fishing. We caught a bunch of those as well . Once we hooked one we never lost one, the captain of the charter we had must have had extra sharp hooks or something. At one time all 4 of us had a salmon on the hook. We were going around and under each other for about 10-15 minutes. They put up a hell of a fight. I think the biggest we caught weighed in at 46 pounds if memory serves. Most of the others were in the 35-40 pound range. We took home coolers of flash frozen salmon and halibut.
As soon as we arrived at the dock, the captain would fillet every fish and there was a girl who took them to be flash frozen. I was eating it for over a year. We even caught some Albino salmon where the meat is totally white. At one point in the fishing my ex hooked a sea lion, I have never seen anything so fast. The captain jumped to cut the line before he lost his pole. There was no way she would have been able to hold it once the line ran out.
Unfortunately my dad died a month later unexpectedly so that trip will forever be special.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I used to fish almost everyday after High School. Then i went to college and life got in the way. 17 years later, I bought a new tenkara fly rod and got back to it for the first time. Last summer i was trying to get out as much as possible. Not much success but I sure enjoyed trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.