PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The first time my dad took me fishing I was about eight and we were in a row boat. I caught a nice bass that we ate that night. As a kid, and later in my 30's, I fished now and then, but was pretty restless to keep at it, enjoyed practice bait casting, trying to hit targets and go for distance, and I was okay at that. Eventually, I did more hiking around the water than fishing in it, and some sailing and canoeing. Never tried fly fishing, liked the solidity of casting bait or a lure.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Give me a small brook our stream, a few feet wide, in the middle of the woods and I'm happy. Oh yes, and my cob also.

Jay, Moonpies are a Southern chocolate or banana icing covered marshmallow and graham cake snack. They are famous down here for being thrown out at Mardis Gras from parade floats and we even have a giant Moonpie that drops in Mobile for festivals.

They are more famously eaten with RC colas, but Sun Drops were always my favorite. Sun Drop is like a Mountain Dew, but harsher with more acidic bite. You can really only find Sun Drops at older grocery stores.

moon.bmp

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
I can often be found on a stream beating a fly to death. Grayling are my favorite targets.
Warren; do the Grayling for which you fly fish look purplish ... like the one below?
arctic-grayling-600.png

Beautiful, stunning fish! In British Columbia, we can only fish for those in the northern parts of our province -- roughly latitude 55 or higher.

btwes7

Lifer
Jul 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Fly fish every chance I get. Something magical about it for me. Grew up in Colorado and thought in my early years that was the only way to fish.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
I have not saltwater fished much. I tried the surf for a couple days, but just didn't have the right gear. I fished a pier in fl and kept getting those little whiting, which I fed to the local beggar/pelican. I enjoyed it though.
I have to say fishing is the only activity that I have willfully and joyfully woke up early in the morning for. I'm a night owl, but I like fishing in the morning better than night. Just something about the quiet, watching the sun come up, the peacefulness, and sometimes the excitement. I once woke up at 5 to fish a local lake when it was 25 degrees out. I threw three lines out and caught my limit in an hour. I could not keep up with the fish I had on. I would pick up a pole, and another one would be on. It was mostly trout and a bass. I kept some distance between the lines so I did some hustling, but man did my fingers ever get cold unhooking those fish.
I think I may get hooked on fly fishing. We'll see. It's so different from what I am used to, but if I can get a hang of it I want to go after that dream salmon. I will be acting much like the minister in The Quiet Man. That was my favorite scene of the movie.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Love bass fishing with conventional and fly tackle. I am in a fly fishing club. Recently got my first steelhead on a fly.

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Fly fishing is big in my family.
I also enjoy Tenkara, surf, bass/striper... I actually enjoy fishing of any kind.
I am most familiar with upstate, NY streams and lakes. A little in Vermont, Maryland and Delaware also.

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
I do mostly catfishing unless the wife and I head up to the Wyoming/Montana area then we go fly fishing.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I practiced casting in one of the vacant sheep fields using an old spark plug as a weight!
There's no better excitement than sitting quietly on a pier or harbour wall watching as your float starts to bob up and down then suddenly goes all the way down......unbeatable.
Thanks for the explanation Michael....they sound tasty but I'll bet they're as sweet as hell.
Regards,
Jay.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
As a late friend of mine used to say, "It always comes down to a hot dog on a hook."

Many times, we would throw out any lure or bait and fish would almost continuously jump onto our hooks. Other days, we would try every lure/bait/spray combination in the tackle box with no success... and always come back to the old hot dog/worm on a hook before having any success. Sometimes the old ways are best.

After his passing, I came to realize that all those times we fished together or the times I fished with my dad, I remember the great times I spent with someone I care about more than what fish we did or didn't catch. I take my boys fishing regularly now to give them those same type of memories.

derekflint

Nov 23, 2017
There's no better excitement than sitting quietly on a pier or harbour wall watching as your float starts to bob up and down then suddenly goes all the way down......unbeatable.

For Sure !!

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
My heart still gets exited every time I see a bobber sink.
As a late friend of mine used to say, "It always comes down to a hot dog on a hook."
I could not believe how many fish went after weenies and garlic salt after a friend had showed me. I think I did better with weenies than I did all that special scent stuff.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Lemon fish or by its other name Ling, are curious, we shrimped sometimes at night when they were running and tied up to small wellheads to sleep during the day, that was in the Gulf of Mexico. I would sometimes pour detergent in the water and use deck brush to make bubble by useing it like a plunger, lemon fish would come and swim thru the bubbles. I caught one over a hundred pounds one time by useing a big shark hook and threading a bar of ivory soap on it. I had tied hand line off on anchor bollard. He struck the soap and man was that a fight, wound up haveing to shoot it with a 22. This is one caught by couple out of Venice La

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
Yea I'm not much on the complicated version of fishing either. I normally just get a screen and some chicken livers with garlic salt. Let them sit out in the sun till leathery, put them on a hook and sit and relax till of course catfish hunter comes along.

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
In Jersey I fished off Island Beach State Park. With the beach buggy pass you can drive out on the sand, park, and surfcast 24/7. It, like most of Jersey, became impossible on the weekends as people would put up poles just to look like they were fishing so they could just hang out. Now in MD I haven't really been able to get out. I'm not into the freshwater thing, but the Susquehanna flats in early spring is supposed to be amazing Striper fishing, although only catch and release when the big ones are around.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
Micheal-When the catfish weren't hitting the weenies, the bluegill were. Bass and walleye don't that I know of.
I have seen trout go after chicken livers pretty fast also.

Status
Not open for further replies.