Do You Ever Worry That You're Obnoxious?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
My wife and daughter love me. My relatives don’t seem to mind having me around. I have friends that seem to enjoy my company. My neighbors are pleasantly perplexed by me.

That’s good enough for me.

I do my best to be kind to folks I work with. But I never, ever alter my behavior to try and suit others. Doing that, my friends, is a recipe for psychic disaster.

IMG_5767.jpeg

Jan 27, 2020
My wife and daughter love me. My relatives don’t seem to mind having me around. I have friends that seem to enjoy my company. My neighbors are pleasantly perplexed by me.

That’s good enough for me.

I do my best to be kind to folks I work with. But I never, ever alter my behavior to try and suit others. Doing that, my friends, is a recipe for psychic disaster.

View attachment 234015

I always like when I see those Kane trucks. Although I rarely get a honk from a trucker salute anymore, even from Kane. Maybe the truckers find my yanking gestures obnoxious, these days.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I am too sensitive to those toxic people, who live to do evil, to those other good people. Predators who camouflage themselves in society, psychopaths. And who will never become good people. I try to stay far away from that kind of people, because I think it could bring out my most unpleasant side. Envy and arrogance are the reason of being of this kind of social trash. I have had the misfortune to come across some of these people. I imagine that many of you also.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
I like knowing how others perceive me. Doesn't mean I would change anything. It's an opinion. Can't please everyone. If I value the opinion I might adjust. I would consider the opinion over a couple bowls of Newminster 400 and some Litchfield Distillery bourbon. Introspection and self-awareness is valuable to me. If I'm going to be obnoxious then I want that decision to be deliberate.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
I find that with threads like this, everyone will just answer, in some variation or other, 'I say what I like, I don't care what others think, and if you do, you're a wanker'. Or words to that end. Personally, I do worry about being obnoxious. I like having a partner, I like having friends, I like having teeth in my head, hell, I like being liked.

Jan 27, 2020
I find that with threads like this, everyone will just answer, in some variation or other, 'I say what I like, I don't care what others think, and if you do, you're a wanker'. Or words to that end. Personally, I do worry about being obnoxious. I like having a partner, I like having friends, I like having teeth in my head, hell, I like being liked.

That's the real talk. There are some aspects to myself which I don't like, not necessarily being obnoxious in the way I was thinking when I started this thread- more to do with being unduly judgmental and such, which I have put some effort into changing in the last few years and even if no-one else notices it makes me feel better about myself. It's an on-going process as life should be. Living in a self with no room or willingness for growth, for me, would be a life where the soul checks out before the body.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I know for a fact that I'm obnoxious... I am very passionate about about a great many things and can ramble and pontificate at length about things the vast majority of people could care less about. I think a lot people tolerate my rambling because they want or need something from me.

I also understand how people feel when I go on for a long time about something like antique hand planes, glass insulators, pipes, or vintage kitchen appliances because every time they start talking about sports the shoe is on the other foot. I have zero interest in sports of any kind, I don't watch football, baseball, or basketball. The difference is I rarely need anything from someone else so I have zero inclination to listen to them talk at great length about sportsball. Tell me about your achievements, not the achievements of some athlete I've never met.

I do enjoy vintage motorcycle racing of any kind, this about the closest I get to sports. If there were a competition based on antique restoration I'd be all in.

At the end of the day, I could really care less if people find me obnoxious, as long as they don't find me discourteous.

I feel like the phrase "He's a nice guy but he never shuts up, who the fuck cares about cast iron pans?" is probably used to describe me on a regular basis. :LOL:

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
That's the real talk. There are some aspects to myself which I don't like, not necessarily being obnoxious in the way I was thinking when I started this thread- more to do with being unduly judgmental and such, which I have put some effort into changing in the last few years and even if no-one else notices it makes me feel better about myself. It's an on-going process as life should be. Living in a self with no room or willingness for growth, for me, would be a life where the soul checks out before the body.
I couldn't agree more.

• Love
Reactions: puff_not_snuff

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
The virtual forums are more flexible, I mean that in the end, we make circles of companions, according to have similar thoughts, tastes, ideologies, philosophy of life, or like each other, simply because you are a sociable and rational person, hahahahahahahah. We can't please everyone. And I am not a perfect being either, but I will also be the first to make mistakes, and ask for forgiveness.

Jan 27, 2020
The virtual forums are more flexible, I mean that in the end, we make circles of companions, according to have similar thoughts, tastes, ideologies, philosophy of life, or like each other, simply because you are a sociable and rational person, hahahahahahahah. We can't please everyone. And I am not a perfect being either, but I will also be the first to make mistakes, and ask for forgiveness.

John, only a humorless asshole wouldn't like you!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I like knowing how others perceive me. Doesn't mean I would change anything. It's an opinion. Can't please everyone. If I value the opinion I might adjust. I would consider the opinion over a couple bowls of Newminster 400 and some Litchfield Distillery bourbon. Introspection and self-awareness is valuable to me. If I'm going to be obnoxious then I want that decision to be deliberate.

Not caring what people think of you, and sel-awareness are not mutually exclusive.

Jan 27, 2020
I know I can be considered obnoxious to some percentage of people, and as somewhat noted, it really only bothers me if it effects my ability to make money which is sometimes the case. I also know there are a lot of people who enjoy conversing with me and I like talking to them as well, so I try to dwell on that. I hate to say it but my older brother is rather obnoxious and is only something I started to think about recently. Every time I go to visit him and his family my conversations with him are full of glib, smarmy remarks which get tired fast. Even his wife has commented at times things like "no wonder he comes to visit so infrequently". I do at times, mainly with my girlfriend, feel like I can veer towards similar obnoxious comments so I try to be mindful of that. It's easy in life to write off certain conflicts with people as just their lack of humor etc., and while yea, that could often be the case I think it's helpful to at least acknowledge or be aware of one's own obnoxiousness so to better understand when rubbing a person the wrong way has more to do with yourself than with them.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I know I can be considered obnoxious to some percentage of people, and as somewhat noted, it really only bothers me if it effects my ability to make money which is sometimes the case. I also know there are a lot of people who enjoy conversing with me and I like talking to them as well, so I try to dwell on that. I hate to say it but my older brother is rather obnoxious and is only something I started to think about recently. Every time I go to visit him and his family my conversations with him are full of glib, smarmy remarks which get tired fast. Even his wife has commented at times things like "no wonder he comes to visit so infrequently". I do at times, mainly with my girlfriend, feel like I can veer towards similar obnoxious comments so I try to be mindful of that. It's easy in life to write off certain conflicts with people as just their lack of humor etc., and while yea, that could often be the case I think it's helpful to at least acknowledge or be aware of one's own obnoxiousness so to better understand when rubbing a person the wrong way has more to do with yourself than them.
I have a younger brother, more stubborn than a mule, I think he is 35 years old, he is abducted by his wife, that is my sister in law. She never agrees with me on anything. ahahahahahahahahahah. I take my flask of whiskey with me when I visit him. I drink and smoke, while the house looks like a henhouse of discussions, I laugh, and drink again from my flask, while I stare at them. And I laugh again, again and again. On his birthday, I gave him an excellent bottle of whiskey, my brother said it went down the sink, that I didn't know anything about good whiskey. I had thrown away a bottle of Scotch whisky 15 years old, I don't want to say the brand, but it is one of the best distilleries in Scotland. Lesson number one. If you get into a chicken coop, make sure your flask is well filled.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I think we live in a time where there is an abundance of uneducated, uninformed, unmotivated people. When you try and stay informed and educated, you get irritated by others who don’t. When you try to enlighten these stupid sheep, they think you are obnoxious. So be it. I have a very low tolerance for the kinder, gentler nation we have become. I’ll not let things like misinformation or stupidity slide by for the sake of getting along. Cowboy up buttercup or get the f#@k out of my face. I don’t care a squirrel’s ass what you think of me. Go drink the cool-aid and die.

Jan 27, 2020
Go drink the cool-aid and die.

On that note...a lot of the people at Jonestown didn't actually want to drink the kool-aid in fact many did so at gunpoint making the children drink it first so their parents were so despondent that some did so with less of a struggle.

Reactions: JOHN72