Do You Ever Worry That You're Obnoxious?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

23 Fresh Ropp Pipes
2 Fresh Nanna Ivarsson Pipes
2 Fresh Ken Dederichs Pipes
18 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
48 Fresh Brulor Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I have found that such an approach can lead to pretty ugly scenes, up to and including fist fights
Offer up one's opinion/observation and then simply observe. It's only here, on some threads, that I sometimes push my opinion overly long and often. I do that, usually, to keep a thread bouncing along, for the entertainment value I enjoy. Except in debate one should only state their belief the one time.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A couple of days ago in this forum I got a sniggling post illustrating he disliked my altering a post's title, adding caps; adding or deleting words; quietly fixing grammatical errors.

So, I am obnoxious to that guy, but most folks take all that in without complaint. If I've offended someone, I am sort of sorry.<- Obnoxious!!

Aug 1, 2012
A couple of days ago in this forum I got a sniggling post illustrating he disliked my altering a post's title, adding caps; adding or deleting words; quietly fixing grammatical errors.

So, I am obnoxious to that guy, but most folks take all that in without complaint. If I've offended someone, I am sort of sorry.<- Obnoxious!!
I guess I'm the obnoxious guy?

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Not caring what people think of you, and sel-awareness are not mutually exclusive.
Exactly what I meant. I want to be aware of how I am perceived and I can do what I want about it, either not care and not change or care and change. I won't just not care as a rule. I'll listen and evaluate the feedback to see if it I value it. If I don't care I won't put value in it and if I do I'll give it value.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
If you spend your time worrying about how people perceive you, and altering your behavior to better suit them, then you’ll never be yourself and you’ll always come off as a phony with a thin veneer of sincerity.

And that’s bad because….

Wasn’t it Socrates that famously said it’s only the shallow people who really know themselves?

• Haha
Reactions: woodsroad

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I know for a fact that I'm obnoxious... I am very passionate about about a great many things and can ramble and pontificate at length about things the vast majority of people could care less about. I think a lot people tolerate my rambling because they want or need something from me.

I also understand how people feel when I go on for a long time about something like antique hand planes, glass insulators, pipes, or vintage kitchen appliances because every time they start talking about sports the shoe is on the other foot. I have zero interest in sports of any kind, I don't watch football, baseball, or basketball. The difference is I rarely need anything from someone else so I have zero inclination to listen to them talk at great length about sportsball. Tell me about your achievements, not the achievements of some athlete I've never met.

I do enjoy vintage motorcycle racing of any kind, this about the closest I get to sports. If there were a competition based on antique restoration I'd be all in.

At the end of the day, I could really care less if people find me obnoxious, as long as they don't find me discourteous.

I feel like the phrase "He's a nice guy but he never shuts up, who the fuck cares about cast iron pans?" is probably used to describe me on a regular basis. :LOL:

Imagine three people wired the same way as this ^^^^, with overlapping fields of interest, on a 1000 mile out-and-back road trip in a Chevy Tahoe.

I can.

Several times.

Screen Shot 2023-07-18 at 5.48.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-18 at 5.47.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-18 at 5.46.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-18 at 5.44.39 PM.png