PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Burley is king in my house. I've room for nearly all genres and varietals, but burley/dfk blends are what I smoke the majority of the time. VaPers and boozy English blends are getting plenty of love too.

There are so many burley and dfk blends I enjoy. Haunted Bookshop and Briar Fox are my comfort blends. Right now, I am really enjoying Sinfonia. If I need something with wallop, HH Old Dark Fires does the trick.

tmcg81

May 8, 2020
NJ
I smoke burley probably 75% of the time. I mostly smoke MacBaren HH Burley Flake, and for a long time I thought that I only smoked Pegasus on occasion, until I noticed that my jars of Pegasus emptied quicker than most of my other blends. When I was smoking a ton of English blends, I figured Westminster was my favorite, but my Star of the East Flake jar was usually pretty empty. Perception isn't always reality.

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
I’ve been branching out into burley lately. I had C&D Burley #1 & Haunted Bookshop. I thought both were ok but nothing life-changing. I picked up some Half & Half & Pegasus & have had much better results. I particularly like adding some Sutliff black cherry to the H&H for an afternoon smoke.
Thought about adding some OJK to my last order but the bulk was sold out. Might grab some next time it’s available. I don’t think I’ll ever be a burley only person , but I’m beginning to get what all the fuss is about.

Reactions: serpentx and BenMN

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Yorktown is all Virginia, right? But yeah, burley takes precedence in my pipe smoking, probably because it's closer to cigar leaf than Virginia, which has a cigarette association in my head, if not reality. Plus I love OTCs. But some Virginias are sublime, when my Covid-affected taster is working right. Reminds me of tea at its finest, a somewhat elusive taste for me.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I thought I didn’t like burley. As far as most straight-er burley blends go, I really don’t.
But I guess I smoke a bunch in dark fired, and blending/condimental forms.
5Bros gets mixed in quite a few things these days for “oomph”, or straight for breaking in bowl bottoms, as I can sip a dry shag better to ash cooler than others it seems.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I like Burley, but being in Europe, there isnt a lot of Burley forward blends like across the pond. The market here is still virginia and english dominated. The ones I smoked and like are ABF, HH Burley flake, MB Golden Blend and Navy Flake (even if I wouldnt call that a typical Burley blend). Im curious about HU Dockworker and have 3 C&D Burley blends available Haunted Bookshop Cake, OJK and Nutty Irishman which are quite pricey.

But to get to the end question, for the amount I smoke it would be hard to be not consious of what I smoke. The bulk of my open jars are straight VA or VaPers. But Burley would be a equal part with at least English and maybe even VaPers.

Edit: realised I also got a pouch of St Bruno Flake hanging around, but dunno if that would be considered a Burley blend.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Five Brothers is a fantastic pairing in the morning with a strong ☕️. It’s straight forward and satisfying. Never had Yorktown…gonna have to give that a try. 👍
to me both are old similar. Pretty much a straight variety and straight tobacco taste. Both have incredible nuances if you pay attention, but both can also come off simple as well simple but perfectly delicious and flavorful. Both always give me a great smoke. I think one of the reasons they're both favorites is I enjoy them every time and it doesn't matter what smoking mood I am in. Pay alot of attention or smoke on autopilot.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Yorktown is all Virginia, right? But yeah, burley takes precedence in my pipe smoking, probably because it's closer to cigar leaf than Virginia, which has a cigarette association in my head, if not reality. Plus I love OTCs. But some Virginias are sublime, when my Covid-affected taster is working right. Reminds me of tea at its finest, a somewhat elusive taste for me.
I have compared Va to tea and Burly to coffee before. And yes Yorktown is not just all Va it's all red VA. Including several different processes. It is also my go to smoke. If I could only have one that probably be the one, but if I could only have two it be Yorktown and Five Brothers.

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I was under the impression that Carter Hall and Haunted Bookshop were my two favorite burley blends, but when I actually look and evaluate the quantity of tobacco remaining in my cellar jars I've apparently smoked way more Pegasus than just about anything else. I seem to reach for Pegasus whenever I want a burley blend with a bit more strength than Carter Hall but not enough for me to need to have eaten a meal before smoking or have a beverage handy to soothe my throat, which is most of the time. 😅

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I was under the impression that Carter Hall and Haunted Bookshop were my two favorite burley blends, but when I actually look and evaluate the quantity of tobacco remaining in my cellar jars I've apparently smoked way more Pegasus than just about anything else. I seem to reach for Pegasus whenever I want a burley blend with a bit more strength than Carter Hall but not enough for me to need to have eaten a meal before smoking or have a beverage handy to soothe my throat, which is most of the time. 😅
Sometimes you can be delusional about how much of a blend you smoke. A thing you notice when you look at how much of it you've ordered and smoked in a year or two or when realize the tin or jar is almost gone.

DedHed Piper

Might Stick Around
Dec 28, 2019
Sweden
I´m not a big Burley fan and most of the blends I’ve smoked have been unsatisfactory for me. I do however adore some blends with burley as a perhaps smaller component; Solani Silver Flake, Reiners Long Golden Flake and two of my absolute favourites, Hal o the Wynd and Old Gowrie.
The only burley based blend I really enjoy today is HUs Makhuwa. Top smoke.
I do think I got thrown a bit off burley trying to like Haunted Bookshop, but that just made me dislike some burley flavours even more. Sad thing.