PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Looking at my orders I realized I smoke a lot more burly then I give myself credit for. Basically I've smoked more Five Brothers then anything else with it being very close to Yorktown and then EGR that's my number three but all of those are pretty close to each other in amounts of gone through over the years.
Anyone else realize looking at their numbers of how much of certain blends they've smoked who realize their own idea of their smoking habits is slightly off.
Number 4 Cary Grants blend.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Save a seat for me on the Burley train!

I enjoy OTC blends like SWR & EGR, but also Pegasus which, to me, is a bit codger-like.

Then there's the more "gourmet" Burleys, like HH Burley Flake and Erik Stokkebye 1931. I enjoy those too.

And then we have the Burleys that defy categorization. Like Semois, which I also enjoy. But I can't smoke Semois every day. It gets a bit overwhelming to my Palate.

Burley in the morning with coffee. It's a daily dose of bliss!

Last edited:
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I’m married to Virginia…She’s been wonderfully sweet & satisfying to me. However, when I want to have a real good no nonsense experience 😉…the Burley girls know how to wake me up & get me going. I tend to spend more time with my mistresses these days whether it be Haunted Bookshop, Pegasus, 5 Brothers (don’t judge!), and Her Highness Burley Flake. Virginia my sweet 🧁 & Burley my 🥩…and 💕 🥩. ☕

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I don’t have an objective list to base off of, but in practice the only Virginia I smoke is all that fits in Old Joe Krantz and Haunted Bookshop, and I smoke these only once in a long while. I’ll smoke Daughters and Ryan’s Two Timer Regular for weeks straight. It’s fantastic burley.
OJK is the best burley blend off all time and no one can change my mind.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
OJK is the best burley blend off all time and no one can change my mind.
I would agree, but almost impossible to find it in stock recently. 1 of the factors in why, when I recently ordered, thought it was time for a latakia blend to go along with the Bayou Morning I bought since I couldn't find OJK at a price I was willing to pay.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I’m married to Virginia…She’s been wonderfully sweet & satisfying to me. However, when I want to have a real good no nonsense experience 😉…the Burley girls know how to wake me up & get me going. I tend to spend more time with my mistresses these days whether it be Haunted Bookshop, Pegasus, 5 Brothers (don’t judge!), and Her Highness Burley Flake. Virginia my sweet 🧁 & Burley my 🥩…and 💕 🥩. ☕
Five brothers is my second most smoked blend of all time. Which is why I started this thread. My most smoked is Yorktown so maybe I am more of a single varietal guy when it comes down to it.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Im glad I kept an open mind and experimented once I found some good blends in the EU. I was convinced that I didnt like burley because every cheapo crap blend that had burley in it sucked. Boy was I wrong. Id rather smoke a good burley blend than a straight VA any day of the week that ends in day. I nearly missed out on some great smokes.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Five brothers is my second most smoked blend of all time. Which is why I started this thread. My most smoked is Yorktown so maybe I am more of a single varietal guy when it comes down to it.
Five Brothers is a fantastic pairing in the morning with a strong ☕️. It’s straight forward and satisfying. Never had Yorktown…gonna have to give that a try. 👍

Sep 28, 2023
Boone>Wilmington
Well my last two purchase was a lb of Yorktown and 5 pouches of Five Bros so I think we’d get along in that dept. I just get an uncanny amount of nutty vanilla sweetness from Five Bros for whatever reason, so I find it delicious. OJK doesn’t stick around long in my cabinet either, those would have to be the main two. Ive tried Haunted Bookshop multiple times and cannot for the life of me figure out how people smoke that soursop.

Roach1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 25, 2023
Germany
Im glad I kept an open mind and experimented once I found some good blends in the EU. I was convinced that I didnt like burley because every cheapo crap blend that had burley in it sucked. Boy was I wrong. Id rather smoke a good burley blend than a straight VA any day of the week that ends in day. I nearly missed out on some great smokes.
What can you recommend in the EU?

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
@Roach1 In the EU look at Estervals HU line. Almost all of them are excellent. Directors Cut, White Horses, Nyala...For Burley Makhuwa is amazing. For more traditional Burley also MacBaren HH Burley Flake. Look up JimInks review on this site for HU tobaccos.

Reactions: Reggie

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I was under the impression that I mostly smoke Burley, but I actually smoke a lot of virginia and oriental as well. I would put the ratios at roughly 60% burley (including dark fired), 25% virginia, and 15% oriental/turkish.

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I would agree, but almost impossible to find it in stock recently. 1 of the factors in why, when I recently ordered, thought it was time for a latakia blend to go along with the Bayou Morning I bought since I couldn't find OJK at a price I was willing to pay.
Hard to find indeed. Luckily my friend and local tobacconist at the Cargo Hold in Poulsbo, WA (an absolute MUST if you’re in WA) had it in bulk so I stock up regularly and save it for the fall time.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob