New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this morning I filled a small Kaywoodie Bulldog with some 7 year old Esoterica Penzance, grabbed a cup of coffee and headed for the porch.

I have been building up to this moment by extending my palette-catalog with some very fine tobaccos in order to more appreciate the subtleties this tobacco might have to offer.

As I popped open the container the aroma was familiar yet different, It was much deeper and more complex than any Balkan or English I had smelled to date. Not wanting to get sucked up in the hype, I ignored the tin note, centered and grounded myself and proceeded to fill the bowl. I then capped the pipe so as not to lose any on my journey to the porch.

As I sat down and lit up, I had extremely high expectations due to all the hype that surrounds this deified Esoterica franchise. Kind of like when all your friends tell you about a highly anticipated movie and how AMAZING it was, and you show up with too high of expectations and though the movie was good, it still disappointed because it didn't meet the level of the hype.

Well, I hate to say that this tobacco did not disappoint in any way:

Immediately, the spicy Orientals took the lead, followed by a smoky and identifiable but not rude, Latakia and then the sweet slightly grassy Virginias. I was fairly amazed by the fact I could identify all the components so distinctly and that they showcased individually in the smoke and through the nose. The mouthfeel was creamy and very easy on the tongue. There is a lingering aftertaste that is quite pleasant and I find myself even as writing this, recirculating that aftertaste through my nose just to get another smell. puffy

Penzance is amazing and while I am not saying it kicks a$$ on anything else I have ever smoked, I AM saying it is among the best of anything I have smoked so far and clearly the best Balkan to date.

DAMMIT! It's as good as I expected it would be!

I am very happy I have a pound (or so :)) of it in my cellar to enjoy over the years and it will definitely be in my Premium rotation.

I think I love Balkan blends....

And proper English blends......

And VaPers......

and Va Burs.......

Oh, and Pure Virginias..... LOL! :)

FOOTNOTE:

Now to geek out just a bit on a side topic, but still relevant, as I am a refining amateur Coffee roaster so bear with...

Last week I roasted 2 pounds of coffee from a small farm at high altitude in Columbia to a Full-city roast. I pulled an espresso shot (well, actually it was a double) this morning and made an Americano to drink along with this tobacco and I have to say the experience was almost religious. For some reason the coffee greatly enhanced the tobacco flavors to new levels and the tobacco did the same for the coffee. If you haven't tried it, you should!

In conclusion, I am not an Esoterica FanBoy, but have a deep respect for Penzance and look forward to trying some of the other Esoterica blends I have cellared.

In due time.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Penzance is very good tobacco. Quality and rarity always get the hype train rolling, but I had a similar experience. It’s definitely one of my favorite blends.

never had it aged 7 years though. My stash is all fresh (+\- 6 months old).

glad you like it. Would suck to have a pound if you didn’t!!!

It is the 4th best Esoterica I’ve tried though, so I guess you could call me a fanboy, haha. I like Tilbury, Dunbar, and Margate a bit more.

And yes, coffee and tobacco (esp va/pers and va/burs in my experience) compliment each other very very well.

Last edited:

zion

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
Many blends can only wish they smoked as good as that Penzance.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Fellow Roasters unite! What do you roast in?

I‘m pretty boring, as two toddlers have made me pare down my hobby time to the smallest possible amount. I use a Behmor 1600 and do 3 cups, or just over a pound, each roast. I buy 50 pounds at a time of this nice low-acid Sumatran, as I’m not a fan of altitude, and have no time to experiment. Full City.

I make the same thing every day, two cups of Aeropress Americano. With cream! Sacrilege, I know.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
Meh. I've had an open jar for 2 years I can't get through. After I got to be a vabur/vaper guy, all the English blends run together. Its like light beer. I can taste the quality difference, but I don't really care. However, I love the subtleties of VA's, Bourbon, scotch and gin. I have one tin of stonehaven, and I'm sure I'm going to love that one.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Fresh roasted/ground/pulled coffee and aged English: Hard to equal.

I roasted my own for several years until I moved to an area with multiple good roasters. French or Italian roast, espresso grind, tamped with 25 lbs pressure, 27 seconds through the portafilter, oh, my! (OK, I am not that precise in the actual details, but shoot for them.) I use the Frank Method for packing the puck.

I‘m pretty boring, as two toddlers have made me pare down my hobby time to the smallest possible amount. I use a Behmor 1600 and do 3 cups, or just over a pound, each roast. I buy 50 pounds at a time of this nice low-acid Sumatran, as I’m not a fan of altitude, and have no time to experiment. Full City.

I make the same thing every day, two cups of Aeropress Americano. With cream! Sacrilege, I know.

50 pounds! You are hardcore!

That's a HotTop 1 pound roaster on the left and what I use now on the right. A BC Roaster 5 pound on gas. :) BTW, I gonna sell the HotTop if anyone is interested. Just been too lazy to put it up. GREAT little roaster. Fully computerized and connects to Profile roasting software too.

Research time!?

Happy to assist in any questions that may arise along your journey. If there was a mistake to be made, I made it. :)

I started with a Popcorn popper conversion and went through a dozen different machines over the 20 years I have been roasting.

The beauty is you can give away your "Mistakes" and people think you are a Prodigy Master Roaster because even the worst fresh roasted coffee tastes 10 times better than StarBurnts, er, Starb*cks. That's a fact :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, comparing to Starfu**s is setting the bar pretty low.... :)

I'm glad I moved; it was either that or get a larger roaster. Half pound batches got tiresome- though I always had coffee beans with a very recent roast date!

Reactions: sandollars

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Happy to assist in any questions that may arise along your journey. If there was a mistake to be made, I made it. :)

I started with a Popcorn popper conversion and went through a dozen different machines over the 20 years I have been roasting.

The beauty is you can give away your "Mistakes" and people think you are a Prodigy Master Roaster because even the worst fresh roasted coffee tastes 10 times better than StarBurnts, er, Starb*cks. That's a fact :)
I will certainly blame you......er.....keep you in mind.?

Reactions: sandollars
Status
Not open for further replies.