PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
check out Moonshine Pipes by Jonathan Lovezzo. Very affordable blue collar american hand made pipes by a great guy out of charlottesville, va. He does commissions and pipes and cigars also carries his pipes. IMHO, a better alternative than an outsourced italian made factory pipe.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
For a group of folks that want to embrace this "Gentleman Culture", some of you do complain a lot. It's a factory pipe. Either buy it or don't. No need to try to trash someone's name or what they do for the hobby.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
advantage of people simply because they managed to slather their name all over YouTube
I disagree they provide a product they are passionate about to people who want it. They didn't "slap" anything on it. The pipes are designed by Jason and Jay based on their own preferences. I see no bandwagon unless you are referring to the youtube pipe smoking community.
I smoke my dagner pipe every evening still a fantastic smoke each time.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
I'm fairly new to Jayson and Jay's videos, but from what I can tell they are good people. They do a lot of charity raffles, promote up and coming youtube pipe smokers, and promote various carvers. They are direct, unfiltered, and entertaining. You can tell that they are people with a passion for the hobby.
Like what delro said, they designed the pipes themselves. Jayson also inspects them himself before he ships it. He had a video where he was talking about going to the company and checking them out. He mentioned that they met his standards, and did have to take a few off because they didn't meet his criteria. I have read and watched reviews for the Dagner branded pipes, and have heard good things. For a machine made pipe, they are said to stand up on equal footing to both Peterson and Savinelli. The price is also competitive.
I think that many on this thread are coming off as pipe snobs based solely on the difference they have in personality from the Dagners. This is something I did not expect from this group of people. The Dagners do not seem like they are taking advantage of people. They sell merchandise because it's smart. When people like something, they like to show that they do. I for one would love a Dagner t-shirt and pipe. YouTube was something they did because they like the community. In my opinion, the branding of the pipe is no different from a tobacconist having a house pipe. That being said, like it or not the pipes are there and have been deemed decent and competitive by those that have purchased them. Let's be the community we are supposed to be, and not put down a pipe brother.

fiberpiper

Lurker
Jan 23, 2015
I bought a Blue Collar Poker a little over a month ago and it smokes great. Maybe more people will buy one so the price will come down a bit to where it should be.

fiberpiper

Lurker
Jan 23, 2015
I love my little poker but my only qualm is that I feel it was a bit on the high side for what it is. A price in the 80 dollar range would be more more appropriate. More pipes in an order to the maker would result in a lower unit price that hopefully would be passed along to the consumer.

simpleman90

Lurker
Apr 16, 2015
I've noticed a lot of people bashing the Dagners on this forum so far so I'll go ahead and put in my two cents. EVERYBODY has got to start somewhere. The Dagners started on YouTube by making vids of the pipes and the tobaccos they smoke and they made these videos to bond with fellow pipe smokers. The hobby of Pipe smoking is becoming popular again and to ME (this is just my opinion) they are ONE of the many reasons why. They are the reason I started smoking pipes. I got curious about it and youtubed "pipe smoking" and their video on pipe smoking for beginners was one of the first ones that popped up. From then on I knew I wanted to take up the hobby. What these guys are trying to do is build the pipe smoking community and it's working especially for the younger generation of people like myself. I haven't met them but from what I can see they are good, hardworking people, Jayson I know still works a 12 hour a day job to make his ends meet WHILE him and his father run their small but growing business and I support them. EVERYBODY has to start somewhere when it comes to the marketing business. A lot of people on here seem a little "mad" that they aren't personally MAKING their own pipes and a company makes their pipes for them and puts the Dagner name on the pipes they make. Well Jayson Dagner grouped up with a pipe company in Italy and personally designed the pipes he sells, calling them the "Dagner Customs". A company in Italy may be making the pipes, but the pipes are still his, and they are selling ESPECIALLY to people like myself, who picked up the hobby after watching the Dagner videos. A business needs time to grow and just because they aren't personally making the pipes with their own hands, doesn't mean that they won't be in the future. But until then I'm gonna sit back, enjoy smoking my Dagner P2 BC Poker and support what they got going on! Keep rockin' it Dagner!

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
This thread is several months old. People are going to have their opinions and do, even regarding actually famous pipe makers with decades of experience hand making pipes. Personally I do not think smoking a pipe on youtube gives you any real knowledge on pipe making, therefore I don't value their input to a factory. I have been smoking 20 years and it hasn't made me a good pipe maker. I much more value the input of someone who has dedicated their entire adult life to making pipes. That said I can assure you no one here is mad or loosing sleep because they wish to parlay their youtube fame into a source of income. If those buying the pipes are happy, then capitalism is functioning fine and you needn't loose any sleep. Personally, if you can make money off pipe tobacco in anyway without ripping people off in the process, then more power to you. Welcome to the forums.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm sure they smoke alright and everything, but if I'm going to spend $140 I'd rather have an Icarus from Briarworks. Having bought an Icarus I highly doubt that the Dagner pipes have a draft hole as open and a draw as effortless as an Icaurs. I doubt the Dagner stems are cut nearly as thin as the Briarworks stems and therefore aren't nearly as comfortable to clench.

simpleman90

Lurker
Apr 16, 2015
I don't doubt you guys one bit on knowledge of pipe making or smoking. I'm simply implying that I am a fairly new pipe smoker maybe only been doing it for a year and a half or so, and what has led me to this forum is the Dagner's. I'm not saying That they are the greatest at pipe making, I'm just saying they have introduced me to different things in the pipesmoking universe and I support them and what they are doing! :) I'm also open to learning about yal think are some of the best pipes and tobaccos out there.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Simpleman90, stick around for sure. We all benefit from the recent popularity of pipe smoking. I hope it keeps more pipe makers and tobacco companies producing and it's certainly been helpful in resurrection of some long gone blends. While I am not one of them, there are posters here who have had thousands of pipes and thousands of blends pass through their hands and they are a great boon to the forum. Once in a while the humor here gets a bit raucous but it's all in good fun. When it comes to pipes, there's as many opinions as there are makers. Blends too but I have found a great number of amazing smokes from the advice given here.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I'd just like to point out that there was nothing negative to be said about "Dagner Pipes", until that video was posted. Seems a little bit like a lot of us were offended and have taken to slandering their pipes, based on conjecture and speculation.
My point: Stanwells are factory made pipes and nobody hates on a Stanwell, so why don't we try biting our tongues until we've smoked a Dagner pipe?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
First and foremost, I did not slander their pipes. I simply gave my opinion on what I think of the credentials of being popular on youtube. I do not equate it to having made pipes since 1948 and I'll stand behind that. I doubt I'll buy one but like I said, I wish them luck.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Daimyo, brother, I wasn't speaking about anyone in particular, and to be fair, I'm pretty sure we're all aware that the Dagners didn't engineer these pipes. What I mean is, if the Dagner pipes were more appealing to my eye, and are drilled in the same factory as a Savinelli, or a Chacom, or a Peterson, I'd have no problem buying one.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
That's kind of my point as well but there's certainly nothing wrong with factory pipes. Smoke what you like and like what you smoke. Seriously, anyone who can do something they love and make a living is doing okay in my book.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
They come off like buffoons. I have no use for people who incessantly drop F-bombs. I find it tedious. There are plenty of pipe choices in the current market for me to consider buying something from these clowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.