PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Struck me as the "Duck Dynasty" of the pipe world. Interesting to watch in limited quantities. Hard to judge on a single episode but it seemed to lack much substance. I concur with some others, I doubt I'm the intended audience but good luck to them. They do seem to be having fun.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
I have no use for people who incessantly drop F-bombs. I find it tedious. There are plenty of pipe choices in the current market for me to consider buying something from these clowns.
Why would you want to use them? It is their personality - loud, outspoken, even rebellious. If they are such buffoons as you say then no one is asking you to watch them. Maybe stop calling people clowns just because they don't rub you the right way. I'm sure if you had the balls to make a video people would have negative opinions about you, hopefully they would have more class than to bash you on a forum.
The Dagners are good people and do a lot in terms of getting people together and getting people out of their shell and into the youtube pipe community. It is exactly like this forum except communication between members is via video.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
They freely express their foul-mouthed opinions. So as I understand your "logic"the Dagners are sacred cows and immune from crticism? How about I F-ing don't appreciate them. They can F-ing criticize who the F they want, including other pipe smokers/makers/forums because they F-ing want. Good for them. If they can F-ing dish it out, they can F-ing take it. They have their F-ing flacks/fan-boys no doubt and I don't have to get it.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I tried to stay out of this thread because no good can come of it.
Pipe designers calling forum members F-n A-holes when those designers admittedly don't go on to the forums.
Forum members critiquing a pipe they admittedly don't have.
One action is not necessarily better than the other; I would side with the forum though as they are the ones which are the potential paying customers and telling off a customer is usually not a good business practice.(I have seen it work in some instances, but few and far between)
Maybe stop calling people clowns just because they don't rub you the right way.
I used to watch the Dagners religiously, ultimately I stopped because I didn't appreciate how they would do exactly as what delro calls out as a problem in the above quote. It seemed to me that when they took issue with someone they would blast them on a video, and the language was usually quite a bit more colorful than "clowns". The video that did it for me was when they told off an underage kid that had asked to be sent some pipes or tobacco; I understood why they were angry at the kid, but that kid obviously looked up to them. I could not imagine how bad I would feel if one of my childhood heroes publicly blasted me on the internet. I am sure it got some good laughs though.
I see that behavior and can't imagine receiving decent customer service if I did order a pipe and for some reason it arrived with a serious flaw and I needed to contact them. I would be afraid they would post a hate video about this A hole that had a problem because something was wrong with his pipe.
I don't find them that offensive(but could see how some would), I like their pipe styles, I like for the most part what they are doing for the pipe community, etc; but, at the end of the day I am just be hesitant to do business with them and so I have not bought one of their pipes.
My opinion.
Edit: To add to the Forum members critiquing a pipe they don't have- I don't know if there is a new product offering in any field which that doesn't happen. Usually people comb over the information presented by a company to make an informed buying decision. The Dagners didn't present a lot of information regarding the pipes background, so I would think that to an extent opened the gates to speculation as to who/where/how being made.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
They freely express their foul-mouthed opinions. So as I understand your "logic"the Dagners are sacred cows and immune from crticism?
Ah yes freedom to say what you want is sort of a big deal in the United States - My "logic" (love your quotes) never labeled them as sacred cows who are immune from anything. Simply I am stating why are you going to bash another person (a fellow pipe smoker at that) who puts themselves out there on the internet. Like them or don't some opinions are better off not said, (look to the part where I mentioned having class). You sir (and I use sir lightly) are what is known as a keyboard warrior.

Beasthkh you are right about this thread, nothing good can come from it. As for the quality of their pipes and customer service I have not had any issue ordering or receiving my pipes from them. They are nice factory pipes to have if your outside working or just bumming around the house.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Why do you give them a pass? It is O.K. for them to "bash"? Is it because they are so cool? Again, they dish it out in spades in their own inimitable way. My opinion.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I just encountered these pipes. The Deviles, with black stain, has a serious, " I mwan business" look about them. Definately something to look at next time PAD strikes.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Wow... a lot of negativity towards a guy that is passionate about pipe smoking so much that he decided to start up his own company and have pipes designed for the average guy. You guys are getting on the Dagners for their views towards certain people, but you guys are doing the same thing. Its really harsh to put the guy down without ever meeting him in person, and without ever smoking one of his pipes. I've had the pleasure of hanging out with Jayson twice and he's a very genuine guy and would give you the shirt off his back. No he's not the most PC guy but that's not who he is. You don't have to be PC to be a friendly guy that would help you out at a moments notice.
His pipes are great smoking pipes. I have a P3 billiard and its an excellent pipe. Easily on par with Peterson, Savinelli, Stanwell and any other pipes in that range if not better. Jayson is very supportive of the artisan pipe makers, but at the same time realizes that most people can't afford one of those pipes, so he has designed some pipes that the average guy can afford and will get a quality smoking pipe. They're on their 5th series of pipes and all 4 previous series and special editions have sold out fairly quickly. I've never heard complaint one about their customer service or their pipes. They must be doing something right besides pissing off the pipe snobs.
I love the old fuddy duddy pipe snobs... plenty of them here on this forum, that don't understand that without the new breed of pipe smokers your hobby goes away. They're helping sustain and helping grow the hobby. The last time I checked you didn't need to fit a certain mold to be a pipe smoker and I think a lot of the "older" guys have lost site of that. The hobby has changed whether you think its for the better or the worse that's for you to decide, but these guys love/hate them they're are helping the hobby. By the way, when was the last time one of you guys worked with Tom Eltang in his shop, or Mark Balkovec in his shop. Jayson has and he supports the artisan pipe makers and many of them support his efforts too.
As for the Nashville Pipe show, it was originally created by Joe Case and originally was designed for independent pipe makers with the core audience being those in the YouTube Pipe Community. It has since grown into a bigger event, so that's why you see a lot of guys around Joe's tent or the Dagner's tent. Most of those folks are from the YTPC and want to visit with other guys from the community. Its not that they're ignoring random pipe maker here or there, its that they want to visit with a YTPC member. Its not that we don't appreciate those other pipe makers, but we just want to hang out with our friends.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I am certainly not a "pipe snob" but I suppose determining who is or isn't is your business. I watched a video because of this thread and quickly determined that he did not merit my time or my money. I simply reserve to right to determine who gets my moneys. He seems to direct his pitch to a selectd audience and I, obviously, am not one whose business he desires. I do not take that personally. He is free to market to what ever audience he wishes.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Warren your comments earlier were fine. You didn't speak negatively about the product, you stated you didn't care to do business with the Dagner's which is entirely fine. Everyone has a right to chose who they do business with. My comments were directed at those that were bashing the Dagner's line of pipes based solely off Jayson's character in the video and not on the actual quality of the pipe itself. Heck Joe Case was even thrown under the bus and he's an artisan pipe maker who makes a very nice pipe (more than just pokers as referenced earlier). Just not sure why all the pipe snobbery. People may not like Jayson's personality or what he represents, but his pipes are very good quality. Heck, I don't see people bashing Chris Morgan's Black Jack line of pipes, and if I'm not mistaken they're made in the same factory as the Dagner Pipes. If you're gonna bash Dagner pipes you might as well bash Morgan pipes. It's just silly and not needed. Now not everyone appreciates a good quality factory pipe, but there's no reason to bash a guy, his product and his business because you watched a video of him and he doesn't appeal to you. Judge the product on its own merits and quality. That was my point in my earlier post.
I've seen so many threads started by brand new pipe smokers asking what kind of pipe to buy, and as usual many offer up the standard suggestion of Savinelli, Peterson, Stanwell and/or a corn cob; however, someone usually comes along to throw in their two cents about how worthless a factory pipe is, and if they're not spending $300 or more on a pipe its going to be a horrible smoking pipe. Not everyone can afford a Rad Davis, Walt Connoy or even a Dunhill especially for their first pipe. Then there's the whole Dunhill isn't a factory pipe because of blah blah blah. The Dunhill snobs are the worst because they talk down about factory pipes and those that buy them, but then turn around and spend hundreds more on a "factory" pipe then they need to. The pipe snobbery just isn't needed and its a real turnoff to someone that's trying to get into the hobby. Now there's nothing wrong with making suggestions about artisan pipe makers, but there's no need to bash a guys decision to buy a factory pipe. We should be encouraging people to join the hobby and to help it grow, not turn people away. Like I said before without the new breed of pipe smokers the hobby will die off. The negativity is just getting real old and the pipe snobbery is not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.