PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Hahaha that didn't offend me at all and i still dig the dagner's. They still seem like great and generous people and also pretty funny at times. I still wouldn't buy a dagner pipe though, it seems very gimmicky to me. Besides being a youtube celebrity and a pipe smoker, the dagner's have absolutely nothing to do with pipe making that would provide any merit behind their name.
But go ahead and prove me wrong, Jay, i'll be happy to be the first to apologize and say i was wrong if/when that time ever comes, followed by me placing my order for one. I won't hold my breath for it though.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Why is it nobody ever pronounces Nevada correctly? Come on people, it's not Ne-Vah-Da. The a is short not long.
I never really got into Dagner's vids. I do like Mike Lancaster's channel for Tobacco Pipe Collectors and DubInTheDam aka Pearse Gaffney (though he doesn't do much videos these days).

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
I think they are doing a lot for the pipe community and like them or not they are helping to change the stuffy outdated image of the hobby.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I agree @jamespworth regaurdless on how you might feel about them, they are a positive move for the pipe community, they are bringing pipes to the forefront of peoples minds and we're getting this explosion of new pipe makers, new tobaccos, new opportunities we never had before.

crimsonrat

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2014
Dunno @jamespworth and @pylorns. I'd rather be seen as stuffy if I had my choice. People like this, yes, I will agree, may be making pipes more popular, which is good. But, they may also be(are) steering pipesmokers away from quality makers that do not make the "badass" pokers and such. I see both sides of the coin. What I and many others regard as quality and what they and their loyal listeners/fans regard as quality are two incredibly different things. With fair certainty I can say that this crowd is why fewer people than I would expect at the Nashville pipe show knew who Tonni Nielsen was. Tonni Nielsen. Let that sink in.
They champion the "working man", but this pipe venture, as I understand it, is so they can "quit working for the man". I'll never get it, I don't guess. I've preordered my Pecker Pipe.

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
LOL listing to them it is as if they are using class warfare to sell pipes . After all these are pioes for the " common man" what ever that means .

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I met the Dagners in Nashville- very nice guys...Great personalities- fun folks to hang around...
But, yep- there's a rule in business- don't pizz off your target market...Let's chalk up the rant to sleep deprivation and a little stress during the course of the product launch...
...and yeah- they're factory pipes probably from Italy...and Todd's Neptune and Icarus pipes are a higher level of factory pipes made in Nashville...along with Trevor Talbert Ligne Britagne pipes from old frased stummels from France... and Chris Askwith's Hand Finished line...All these guys have one thing in common- they are trying to make a living from the tiniest of niche markets- pipe smoking...and they all contribute in different ways...and occasionally manage to pizz people off in the process...
Let's celebrate the fact that they all are trying move the ball forward in their own way....

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I have a bit of a conflicted view on this whole ordeal (though I think calling it an 'ordeal' gives it more gravitas then it deserves). Like much of the younger generation of pipe smokers I was brought to the hobby through a friend and, as it's not a terribly popular past time where I live, ended up finding videos on youtube which stoked my flame. Watching the Dagners early on was entertaining and it was refreshing to see that the pipe could be enjoyed by all sorts - not just men in smoking jackets gesturing at a chalkboard with a stem (though I am much closer in nature to the latter in truth). My first, and only, non-factory pipe is a Joe Case poker which I enjoyed quite a bit... past tense.
I look at it now and can't overlook the stem's wave in profile, the button is poorly formed with sanding edges gouged in to its top ridge and the band is liable to detach from the shank in the next cleaning. I feel like I paid around 250 bucks for it and waited 8 months for its completion (though don't quote me on either figure); it still smokes well but in retrospect I would have rather have invested elsewhere. I think the quality of his pipes are generally higher than this particular example and that for a while there he became a victim of his own success.
And yet I can't help but think that they brought me to this point and I'm thankful for that.They don't happen to be my cup of tea anymore but tastes change. Maybe some others have taken the opposite journey and arrived in those waters after shying away from some of the elitism that lingers in some shadier corners of the hobby. I think there's room for all of us. I've made a couple of parallels to, my other hobby, motorcycling in posts. Generally we British bike riders rag on the American Bike owners who rag on the Japanese market who rag on the Brits -- but we all are part of the same group. What's the pipe smokers' equivalent of a Vespa?

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
So what forum did he talk about in the video? Of the four forums I visit this is the only one that mentions the pipes. I didn't see anything disparaging.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
drezz01, well put, sir! That is a standpoint i can wholeheartedly get behind. Welcome to the fold, i look forward to more of your posts and positive outlook!

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Well, I didn't really have an opinion on the man or his pipes but that's sad to see him calling out people for discussing his venture. Not everyone is going to be waiting with bated breath to jump on your wagon. He claims to not come to forums because he lacks time for such worthless pursuits but sits around watching YouTube sentences later? Pot, meet kettle. Had he come here he would realize the quality of people who post. I'll listen to the long timers and industry folks from this site long before any self made internet celebrity. If he can make a living off pipe pursuits, then good for him but his attitude seems a bit immature.

oldsalt

Lurker
Nov 20, 2014
Florida Keys
I know my post is a repost from another thread but I just saw this one, and I apologize. Here are my thoughts: Checked their pipe site out and I have to say, I'm planning on buying one of their pokers even if their logo has a skull in it. The pipes look nice, the price is good and I like the fact that they're trying to appeal to the everyday Joe. I for one, enjoy their YouTube videos. They're funny and informative. I like the fact that Jay and his dad are the anti-thesis of the Hollywood pipe smoking stereotype of the well bred, elitist, ascot-wearer. They come across as regular guys and I personally appreciate that. Sure they're not what you expect to see in fiction and film pipe smokers. In fact, they may turn your stomach. But their videos (for the most part) are well thought out, educational and humorous. Just as importantly, Jay and his dad come across as "real". Sure, they're trying to turn whatever YouTube "notoriety" into something lucrative but can you blame them? The fact is they have a following and that following may not have the dough to drop big coin on a piece of wood you suck smoke through. Personally, I wish I had seen their pipes earlier but Santa (the wife) already has the list I gave her. Luckily my birthday is in a month...

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
They champion the "working man", but this pipe venture, as I understand it, is so they can "quit working for the man". I'll never get it, I don't guess. I've preordered my Pecker Pipe.

I'm glad I'm not alone in that observation.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
I started pipe smoking over a yer ago now, you could say I "grew up" smoking pipes to their videos along with other youtubers. They definitely had an influence over what I thought I wanted in a pipe and what I wanted to smoke in it. The videos in the past before they became more youtube "famous" are much better than the videos they put out now. Also the YABOS are annoying for the most part in my humble opinion.
I have two of their pipes. The Blue collar poker and danger dublin. Both smoke well and are fine pipes for what they are. Although my dublin came in the mail with alot of little dings and marks on the top and the coating on the outside isn't even. They still provide a nice quick smoke - I love the stems they have.
In retrospect money would've been better spent going towards another stanwell- but I like to think I'm supporting a fellow pipe smoker.
these are just my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.