PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
When I was a teenager (back in the 80's) my Dad only ever put one bumper sticker on his car, and it was an American Flag that said "God Bless John Wayne" below it, and he was loathe to eventually trade that car in because he couldn't replace that bumper sticker!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Bumper stickers are just one of the many ways that people preach to their own choirs and tick off opponents, and feel like they've accomplished something. It's really about a narcissistic need to be seen as part of a group.

Or at least that accounts for 99% of them... But then there's this. Don't know what to make of this.
Here, in Korea I'm constantly amused by the car stickers, not necessarily bumper stickers.
A favorite is to have a sticker of the plan of The Nürburgring plastered all over the rear window.
Another is to have BMW's M racing stripes painted on the grill of your Hyundai. Which I do not understand in the least.
To each their own, I guess.

• Haha
Reactions: SBC

Andre_T

Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
I have bought my wife a picture of a gear shift diagram with the title Millenial Anti-theft System and one that reads we are on a hill and I drive a stick shift. Do you really want to be close enough to read this?

I considered one for my car that reads:
Subarus... Not just for lesbians anymore.
However I fear leaving my car alone where someone may have an angry physical reaction to it.

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
In the US the atmosphere feels so divided andmaybe it's always felt that way. It's interesting to look at all the symbolism different groups adopt and the need to express this. Take for instance the rainbow flag and the punisher skull. I often feel conflicted because i like stuff that seems contradictory. I like watching RuPaul's Drag Race and Vice Grip Garage. I like going to Pride events and the shooting range. Many of my queer friends say I'm aggressively Midwestern. I think there are a lot more people that fall into this in-between space, but we're not that vocal about it. It got me thinking about a line of bumper stickers that blurs this symbolism, a rainbow punisher skull for instance. I don't know if I'd actually put this on my car, but like the idea of mudding the waters a little.

Reactions: anantaandroscoggin

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I sometimes think this about personalized license plates. They are usual celebratory in some way (i.e. what college the person attended, what he does for a living, etc.). Those stickers announcing to everyone where one went to college often strike me as pretentious.
Especially when one person announces he or she is an : "alumni".

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Especially when one person announces he or she is an : "alumni".
No one ever puts their alma mater on a crappy car either, but it’s always on a really fancy one. It’s like they are showing the world how their degree helped them get such a nice car.