PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Bumper stickers are just one of the many ways that people preach to their own choirs and tick off opponents, and feel like they've accomplished something. It's really about a narcissistic need to be seen as part of a group.

Or at least that accounts for 99% of them... But then there's this. Don't know what to make of this.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Bumper stickers are just one of the many ways that people preach to their own choirs and tick off opponents, and feel like they've accomplished something. It's really about a narcissistic need to be seen as part of a group.

Or at least that accounts for 99% of them... But then there's this. Don't know what to make of this.
Well said. As for this particular example, I'm thinking somebody lost a bet.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas

That's me: I don't know what to make of it. I don't know if it's a joke or part of this new crop of males that celebrate themselves for some particular bent (MIGTOW, Incel, et al - there is apparently a large number of them, and possibly one for guys with smaller penises). The guy was driving pretty aggressively, which to me is often a good indicator of other tendencies and personality traits.

Up till yesterday, the best one I saw was from many years ago. On the back window of some dude's (beat up) car was: MILITANT AGNOSTIC: I DON'T KNOW AND YOU DON'T EITHER. This guy was gripping the wheel like he was choking a bear and staring straight ahead intently. Made me think what a handful he must be at parties or in casual conversation. I mean, who thinks so much of his own agnosticism that he has to announce it to the world? What true agnostic would even dwell on it that much?

There is a guy around where I live with an old beat-up minivan. He's got the whole THE END IS NEAR! message painted all over the thing. Bible verses, calls to repent, impending doom, etc. It's pretty wild. I've seen a few of these over the years, and they are always beat up vehicles that are a total mess (another strong indicator of other personality traits). Always makes me think of how odd the conversation must be when he pulls up to get an oil change.

Here is the one I have on my truck. If you know, you know.
IMG_0349.jpg

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I sometimes think this about personalized license plates. They are usual celebratory in some way (i.e. what college the person attended, what he does for a living, etc.). Those stickers announcing to everyone where one went to college often strike me as pretentious.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Some stickers are hilarious, and some are for our self-improvement. The person driving the vehicle of the self-improvement sticker are the sole judge of what is right. I like funny ones, but the self-improvement ones are a pain in the keister.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’ve been a lawyer for forty years now, and my advice is never tint your windows and don’t have custom license plates and never have any stickers on your vehicle. Leave your vehicle exactly as if left the factory.

The worst possibility is you attract the attention of some crazy out there, and you don’t want to meet them, I promise.

The most routine thing that happens is your vanity attracts the attention of a traffic cop.

You don’t want to meet them either, I promise.:)

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I’ve been a lawyer for forty years now, and my advice is never tint your windows and don’t have custom license plates and never have any stickers on your vehicle. Leave your vehicle exactly as if left the factory.

The worst possibility is you attract the attention of some crazy out there, and you don’t want to meet them, I promise.

The most routine thing that happens is your vanity attracts the attention of a traffic cop.

You don’t want to meet them either, I promise.:)
This is interesting. Help me understand not having tinted windows, though. I get the license plate and stickers, because they are often political and inflammatory.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I sometimes think this about personalized license plates. They are usual celebratory in some way (i.e. what college the person attended, what he does for a living, etc.). Those stickers announcing to everyone where one went to college often strike me as pretentious.
Not a bumper sticker, but if you walked into my office you’d never see my diploma. It’s behind the door. Only reason it’s not in the trash is my mother thinks it’s important. So behind the door it stays. Out of sight.

Reactions: AroEnglish

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

man reminds when I see a vehicle covered in stickers I think that person is a bit of an ash hole. I can agree with everything on their vehicle 100 percent and still think. Oh you're one of those people that confuses everyone knowing your opinions or interests with oxygen.

Reactions: jttnk

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Years ago we went on a family holiday to LA, there were stories in the UK press at the time about this new phenomena called “road rage”, and how some US drivers were taking the rage to deadly extremes; my dad would announce each article of the latest event at the dinner table, normally followed by, ‘That’s where we’re going.’

I remember one memorable bumper sticker, I can still recall it some 30+ years later that read “Cover me, I’m changing lanes”.

😆😆

• Haha
Reactions: Jbrewer2002

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I've never had a bumper sticker or window decal on any cars that I've ever owned. And I'm 60.
The only bumper sticker I would ever put on my car, and I'd do it in an instant if I could get one:
Excelsior, Fathead!

Reactions: yanoJL