PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

aztecbull

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2023
Can morta not be given a chamber coating to prevent burns ?
No pipe mud, but activated charcoal sodium silicate, or an organic coating ?
I have a beautiful unsmoked one, but fear breaking it in.

For sure you can put a carbon coating by yourself, I am thinking to do the same of my upcoming morta. Dont be scared, break yours in, it might only be my bad luck.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
My guess is that cracks are from heat, not burn out but Im often wrong. If you can use a coating it might help but if its a flaw hiding in the material its going to crack when it gets hot.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'd like to see a photo of the crack. I have several Morta wood pipes, one from Marco. No problems to date. Marco is great, he'll stand behind his product.

aztecbull

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2023
I think you had best steer away from Morta. A crack in Morta is usually a sign of smoking it too fast.

I cant say its not my problem for 100%, smoked in that morta for around 10 bowls without leaving any dampness in the chamber and never encounter any cracking in my briar and olive pipes. But may be Morta is not as heat resistance as briar so I will pay extra attention and try to smoke as slow as I can in the new one.

Reactions: kcghost
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I increased the brightness of the video and uploaded again. Can you see the bumpiness in the chamber and also a few vertical cracks? Also the draw hole develops a big vertical crack as well.

Looks like cake and cake that is cracked to me. I would ram that a bit and then see what it looks like.

aztecbull

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2023
Looks like cake and cake that is cracked to me. I would ram that a bit and then see what it looks like.

I wipe the bowl after every smoke and with <10 bowls, may be that looks like cake in the video but pretty sure that isn't. But I will try to rim it to see if that helps, I will have to rim it a bit anyway before I try to fix it with some mud. Thanks for your suggestion.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I wipe the bowl after every smoke and with <10 bowls, may be that looks like cake in the video but pretty sure that isn't. But I will try to rim it to see if that helps, I will have to rim it a bit anyway before I try to fix it with some mud. Thanks for your suggestion.
That's crazy looking with 10 bowls or less. I can understand your concerns. As thick as those walls are, you have quite a bit of margin for error. Moretti is sending you a new one. I'd just continue to smoke it and see if cake will build up. If there's a major void in the wood, I doubt that pipe mud will fix it anyway.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Those are the clearest videos of a chamber I’ve seen. Nicely filmed 🙂

Here’s a recent thread that might help when doing the mud:

aztecbull

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2023
So I would like to have a little update here.

The replacement morta arrived and it looks amazing. For this pipe, I decide to coat it with some sour cream and activated charcoal for some extra protection on the chamber. I am also gonna build some cake for it which I dont normally do on my briar pipes. Hope it works out this time.

For the maiden voyage, I smoked some Grand Croupier Boneyard with it, tasty as always!

Keep smoking everyone!

IMG_5237.png

IMG_5236.jpeg

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
That's beautiful....I'm glad you have a happy ending to your dilemma. I just bought my first morta pipe at the Muletown Pipe show a week and a half ago. So far, no problems but this will certainly make me look closely at it after each smoke.

Reactions: aztecbull