PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

aztecbull

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2023
Hey guys, so I acquired a Morta pipe few months ago and after a few bowls, I aware that there was some kind of crack in the bottom of the chamber, I contact the maker right away and he said that should be fine and just keep smoking it. But after a few more bowls, the cracking issue is getting worse all around the bottom of the chamber and as you can see in the video, even the draw hole is getting a vertical crack as well.

I contacted the maker and its very kind of him that he is going to replace one for me and I can choose a morta again or a briar. I am hesitating if I should give morta another try or should I stick with briar. Is this kind of cracking issue very common on morta? FWIW, I own around 20ish pipes and I think my smoking technique is alright as I never encounter similar problem in any of my briar pipes.

Share your thoughts and thanks in advance.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
“Publication in progress”

I haven’t had a morta but I’ve read about similar things happening. I’d go for briar myself but it could just have been a bad block of morta. Maybe ask him if the second morta was also having the same issue.

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
Can't see the video yet.

Is that your only morta pipe?

It shouldn't crack. It's a difficult material to work with. If your pipe maker isn't known for their morta, maybe consider a briar. But there's nothing wrong with having at least one morta in your pipe rack.

aztecbull

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2023
“Publication in progress”

I haven’t had a morta but I’ve read about similar things happening. I’d go for briar myself but it could just have been a bad block of morta. Maybe ask him if the second morta was also having the same issue.

Yea, let me ask the maker again, I actually love smoking Latakia with it, let me give morta another try.

aztecbull

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2023
Can't see the video yet.

Is that your only morta pipe?

It shouldn't crack. It's a difficult material to work with. If your pipe maker isn't known for their morta, maybe consider a briar. But there's nothing wrong with having at least one morta in your pipe rack.

Yes, that's my first morta. It's actually from Moretti (Marco is a really nice guy BTW) and he makes quite a lot of morta pipes and I think he should know what he's doing.

I agree that having a morta in the pipe rack is nice, I really like smoking Latakia with it.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I like morta pipes and I have several, including a few from Marco.

I have had a problem with only one of them - a very light coloured Moretti (which I specifically requested)
It developed a couple of (early) burn spots.
I applied a couple of coats of pipe mud to the entire chamber.
Problem solved.

Generally the darker and denser the morta, the older it is
ie light morta = (much) younger material.
Or it may have a few "soft spots" - which may not have anything to do with its age.

In any case, it was an easy fix.

aztecbull

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2023
I like morta pipes and I have several, including a few from Marco.

I have had a problem with only one of them - a very light coloured Moretti (which I specifically requested)
It developed a couple of (early) burn spots.
I applied a couple of coats of pipe mud to the entire chamber.
Problem solved.

Generally the darker and denser the morta, the older it is
ie light morta = (much) younger material.
Or it may have a few "soft spots" - which may not have anything to do with its age.

In any case, it was an easy fix.

That's a great tip, I should try to salvage the cracked morta, let's see if that works.

Reactions: OzPiper

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Preeeeety!
But these stories have me shying away from morta. I think I will stick with briar. I wish Moretti made more filter pipes. I prefer them and he does nice work for a fair price...even having to pay VAT

Reactions: aztecbull

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I have a Morta pipe that has developed a crack in the mortise. I had it banded but the crack is slowly growing, I'll keep smoking it till it breaks. The seller offered to replace the pipe, and I took him up on the offer getting the same shape in briar.

aztecbull

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2023
That’s a looker! What does the original pipe look like?

The original is a very chunky and masculine panel pipe, which I am a big fan of. In fact, I asked Marco if he could make me an identical one but he said that require a large piece of morta which he doesn’t have on hand now. So I picked one from what he has on hand now. And I will try to rescue the original one!

IMG_4869.jpeg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
The original is a very chunky and masculine panel pipe, which I am a big fan of. In fact, I asked Marco if he could make me an identical one but he said that require a large piece of morta which he doesn’t have on hand now. So I picked one from what he has on hand now. And I will try to rescue the original one!

View attachment 290256
I can see why you picked that; it looks so good! What are the specs?

Also, he’s letting you hang onto that and sending a new one?

dPero

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2022
Stafilic
I have 2 morta pipes for latakia blends, both davorin denovic and both great smokers, he makes minly morta pipes… maybe tey one of him?

Reactions: aztecbull